Supertech MP7317 - cut open - 8,000 miles

They probably just aren't popular enough, especially when they don't keep them on the shelves....
^this
If I go to a store specifically to buy a filter and the shelf is empty, I won't go back to that store for a filter. We have lots of other stores and filter options, and the price for MP is good but not good enough to warrant wasting my time.

Good point.

Walmarts around here do a good job of stocking the whole Fram assortment. OEM filters are better than the MP's but can be a bit spotty.

Menards does a wonderful job of keeping all three Purolator offerings in stock, so there are options.

The white Supertech is the cheaper version, they always had a nitrile ADBV. They have the same specs like the blue Supertech MP filters, so apparently the ADBV is the only difference between the 2.
Lot of talk about the anti-drainback. It would seem that a filter used within the official BITOG oil change (5K) with a nitrile gasket wouldn't have any problems, its not that fragile.
But in another vein, it would appear that filters mounted base-up wouldn't even use the gasket function. Ford, anyone?

But in another vein, it would appear that filters mounted base-up wouldn't even use the gasket function. Ford, anyone?
The ADBV is still beneficial in that case, because it prevents any oil in the gallery above the filter from draining back down through the filter and leaving air in the gallery.

Good point.

Walmarts around here do a good job of stocking the whole Fram assortment. OEM filters are better than the MP's but can be a bit spotty.

Menards does a wonderful job of keeping all three Purolator offerings in stock, so there are options.
My local Walmart is overrun with FRAM oil filters. Four different offerings. I like a decent oil filter for my small engines and the orange can doesn’t meet my requirement. If I want a decent small engine filter, from Walmart, I have to choose the FRAM Tough Guard or go elsewhere. The Super Tech MP line has consistently shown better build quality than the Tough Guard and can be purchased at a lower price.

My local Walmart is overrun with FRAM oil filters. Four different offerings. I like a decent oil filter for my small engines and the orange can doesn’t meet my requirement. If I want a decent small engine filter, from Walmart, I have to choose the FRAM Tough Guard or go elsewhere. The Super Tech MP line has consistently shown better build quality than the Tough Guard and can be purchased at a lower price.
I've used several of the orange cans and the supertech ST line on small engines for years without issue, same with Purolator. Small engines are not hard on filters, most of the ones I cut open (even the ones that have been on for a decade) look almost brand new.

If you want a good filter keep an eye on the Kawasaki OEM filters. I just bought two cases of 12 of the different sizes for a good price since I service a lot of mowers. They are basically a Supertech MP filter with black paint, and occasionally you can find good deals on Amazon or ebay.

Small engines are not hard on filters, most of the ones I cut open (even the ones that have been on for a decade) look almost brand new.
Much lower flow oil pumps than what's used on automotive engine. Less flow, less dP across the media.

Lot of talk about the anti-drainback. It would seem that a filter used within the official BITOG oil change (5K) with a nitrile gasket wouldn't have any problems, its not that fragile.
It’s of minimal importance in my experience to worry about the ADBV when mounted base up. This is because almost all my vehicles have been mounted base up and I’ve never realized an issue with nitrile.

I cut open a Supertech MP7317 that was in use for 8,000 miles and a little under a year on my sister's 2003 Acura 3.2TL. The oil used was Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5w30. Maxlife Synthetic 5w30 went back in with a Champ PH2867XL. The filter looked good and silicone ADBV was perfect.

View attachment 205738View attachment 205739View attachment 205740View attachment 205741View attachment 205742

Looks darn good. What oil and filter back in and on? You do nice work, Thank You for C&P

I cut open a Supertech MP7317 that was in use for 8,000 miles and a little under a year on my sister's 2003 Acura 3.2TL. The oil used was Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5w30. Maxlife Synthetic 5w30 went back in with a Champ PH2867XL. The filter looked good and silicone ADBV was perfect.

View attachment 205738View attachment 205739View attachment 205740View attachment 205741View attachment 205742

Hi Jeepman3071,
That SuperTech looks perfect after 8k miles. It's strange my local WalMart appears to have stopped stocking them for over a month now. I'm wondering if they're phasing them out.
Thank you for the C&P, the photos are excellent.

Hi Jeepman3071,
That SuperTech looks perfect after 8k miles. It's strange my local WalMart appears to have stopped stocking them for over a month now. I'm wondering if they're phasing them out.
Thank you for the C&P, the photos are excellent.
Thanks I'm happy with the filter, my Walmart never has any of these in stock, I ordered two of them online to try. The other one will be going on my mom's 2011 Honda Fit next OCI.

Back