Virgin C&P Comparison Between: Mobil 1 M1-206a, Fram Force FF3675, Fram Drive FD3675, Microguard Select MSL51522 and STP XL S3675XL

BrendanC

$100 site donor 2024

In summary, the obvious winner here is the PG Vietnam built Microguard Select. The pleats are laser straight and plentiful along with a very nice silicone ADBV and gasket. The runner up would be the PG China made STP XL3675, its a smaller filter but still built well just not quite like its Vietnam brother. Nice silicone ADBV and gasket though. Next would be the M+H built Mobil 1. Glue job was sloppy but that is null. the base plate for the M1 was the winner with the heaviest construction out of them all aswell with the softest ADBV. Not a fan of non metal crimps however, this filter got my truck from 60,000 miles to 230,000 miles. The FF and FD are a tie in the aspect of i would never spin these on anything. Felt nor fiber end caps appease me and the Nitrile or whatever they like to call the ADBV in the FD is the hardest of them all.

M1-206A: Sturdy M+H built filter. rated for 20,000 miles & 99% at 30um with a glued seam. I do like the base plate and very soft silicone ADBV.

FD3675: Champ Labs relabeled filter. same as ACDELCO filters etc. Nice E core and pleat spacing. I do not like the felt endcaps nor the non silicone ADBV. Rated for 7,500 miles with no efficiency data.

FF3675: relabeled EG filter sold exclusively at AAP. The textured can was nice along with a metal crimp and silicone ADBV. The pleat spacing was terrible and fiber end caps are an automatic no from me.

MSL51522: Beautiful Vietnam made PG filter. Tons of Laser straight pleats with a silicone ADBV and gasket. Coil spring was a welcomed upgrade over the normal leaf springs found in the non PG built filters here. Rated 10,000 miles and 99% @ 25um.

STP XL S3675XL: China made PG filter. smaller than the rest of the filters and a non metal crimped seam. glue job was a little sloppy. Nice silicone ADBV and gasket. Rated 10,000miles with no efficiency data.

Fantastic C&P work, Thank you!

The Autozone website has this filter at 99% @ 20 microns.
IMG_5808.jpeg

Thanks for the cuts, pics and sacrificing of obviously new and probably serviceable filters.

What does PG mean?

I would agree the MSL51522 looks great, actually all the build in that filter would've been what we all loved about old-school Wix maybe 5-7 years ago before M+H... coil spring, even pleats, metal caps, etc. Not that modern Wix is full awful, but definitely some cheapening up/Puro designs in the latest.

Microguard is Orielly? Just got one of them stores around here in the last 6 months.

Awesome review. Can you measure the media stack height from endcap to endcap?
Looks like moneys worth is going to the microgard select.
i will measure them tomorrow, have to go grab my calipers from my dad. i did find it interesting that the microguard has a bypass that is not in spec for this size.

In summary, the obvious winner here is the PG Vietnam built Microguard Select. The pleats are laser straight and plentiful along with a very nice silicone ADBV and gasket. The runner up would be the PG China made STP XL3675, its a smaller filter but still built well just not quite like its Vietnam brother. Nice silicone ADBV and gasket though. Next would be the M+H built Mobil 1. Glue job was sloppy but that is null. the base plate for the M1 was the winner with the heaviest construction out of them all aswell with the softest ADBV. Not a fan of non metal crimps however, this filter got my truck from 60,000 miles to 230,000 miles. The FF and FD are a tie in the aspect of i would never spin these on anything. Felt nor fiber end caps appease me and the Nitrile or whatever they like to call the ADBV in the FD is the hardest of them all.

M1-206A: Sturdy M+H built filter. rated for 20,000 miles & 99% at 30um with a glued seam. I do like the base plate and very soft silicone ADBV.

FD3675: Champ Labs relabeled filter. same as ACDELCO filters etc. Nice E core and pleat spacing. I do not like the felt endcaps nor the non silicone ADBV. Rated for 7,500 miles with no efficiency data.

FF3675: relabeled EG filter sold exclusively at AAP. The textured can was nice along with a metal crimp and silicone ADBV. The pleat spacing was terrible and fiber end caps are an automatic no from me.

MSL51522: Beautiful Vietnam made PG filter. Tons of Laser straight pleats with a silicone ADBV and gasket. Coil spring was a welcomed upgrade over the normal leaf springs found in the non PG built filters here. Rated 10,000 miles and 99% @ 25um.

STP XL S3675XL: China made PG filter. smaller than the rest of the filters and a non metal crimped seam. glue job was a little sloppy. Nice silicone ADBV and gasket. Rated 10,000miles with no efficiency data.

The GOAT filter post. Just wow man.

Premium Guard consistently promotes their synthetic filters at 99% at 25 microns. Pentius filters look the same to me (same plant?) but they advertise 99% at 20. 🤷‍♂️.

Could STPs be Pentius? Do they say “leak tested “? I thought that phrase was unique to PG but I’m not very familiar with Pentius.

i don’t believe they mean 99% @20um. 99% efficiency at some rating but it COULD capture particles down to 20um is how i read it.
Yes, it's a bit confusing on what they actually mean. Does the box say anything different than what shown in post 4?

bypass valve should not be in this size.
How do you really know? Lots of oil filters have a relatively small bypass valve. If you do a flow calculation you'd be surprised on how much oil a pretty small looking hole will flow. And beside, a PD oil pump is moving the oil through the filter and engine. It's going to move the same volume unless the flow resistance is so high that it puts the pump in pressure relief. When a filter goes into bypass, only a small fraction of the flow is going through the bypass valve because the filter media is still flowing lots of oil. The bypass valve is going to only open enough to regulate the dP across the filter to what the bypass valve is set to.

How do you really know? Lots of oil filters have a relatively small bypass valve. If you do a flow calculation you'd be surprised on how much oil a pretty small looking hole will flow.
it is not specified in the OE filter for this application. it is in the filter pad for 99-07 LS oil pans until they changed to m22x1.5.

it is not specified in the OE filter for this application. it is in the filter pad for 99-07 LS oil pans until they changed to m22x1.5.
If it doesn't even have a bypass valve, then how can you say you think it has too small of a bypass valve? Just trying to understand why it was even mentioned if the filter doesn't have a bypass valve. The filter bypass valve built into the filter mount on GM engines is pretty small too.

Back