New Mobil 1 C40 GT 0W-40

Looks like a new updated formula of the Mobil 1 ESP X3, but in same ways a worse oil:

It's interesting, it might be a rebanding of an updated formula the current Mobil 1 ESP X3 C40. Both oils are HTHS of 3.8, but as noted the viscocity index of 40 GT is lower at 199 vs 204 for Mobil 1 ESP X3.

Generally, this new 40 GT oil, unless it has a ton of ZDDP additives and moly, on paper does not look impressive or much different than Mobil 1 ESP X3.

It's rare you see a Mobil listing specific brand applications, but at the same time saying it's not approved.

"Mobil 1 C40 GT 0W-40 is not suitable for Porsche vehicles requiring an A40, C20, C30 or C40 approved Mobil 1 engine oils."

Anyone hear anything?

Mobil 1 ESP X3 spec sheet for reference:
https://www.mobil.com/en-be/passenge...1-esp-x3-0w-40

Yet another meh sub-catagory offering from Mobil. Looks to have been developed specifically for Porsche GT models, but not suitable for more pedestrian P-car stuff for some reason. Other than to cause more M1 confusion/controversy. I'm sure the fanboys will be all over this like it's the next coming of the savior.

It's interesting that they're spec'ng this for all 991 and 992 GT models regardless of whether or not GPF is installed. I would like to know what the sulfated ash and phosphorous level is in this oil.

It's interesting that they're spec'ng this for all 991 and 992 GT models regardless of whether or not GPF is installed. I would like to know what the sulfated ash and phosphorous level is in this oil.

It's interesting they are merging them. Perhaps they are lowing the sulfated ash and phoshorus, assuming the Zinc / Phosprous can be less than since they are competing with less detergents.

It's also interesting they are only doing this for just the GT cars, so the regular 911s will run the same C40 spec.

Why would they make a specific GT line if they weren't seeing unique wear circumastances that needed to be address? Or are all the regular 911s now turbo / hybrid future, and require a completely different oil than high reving NA engines?

Looks like a new updated formula of the Mobil 1 ESP X3, but in same ways a worse oil:
How could you tell it's worse? Lower VI is not worse. The datasheet tells you nothing useful other than the HTHS. This could have the most cutting edge stuff in it, or it could be mediocre, but there is no data at all to interpret.

Yet another meh sub-catagory offering from Mobil. Looks to have been developed specifically for Porsche GT models, but not suitable for more pedestrian P-car stuff for some reason. Other than to cause more M1 confusion/controversy. I'm sure the fanboys will be all over this like it's the next coming of the savior.
How do you know it's "sub-category"? Literally, the datasheet only says it's a 0W-40 with 3.8 HTHS. It could have unicorn tears in it for all we know. Do you think Porsche typically settles for sub-category and help fund an entirely new SKU to be developed so it can be "sub-category" and worse than PP Euro at Walmart?

How could you tell it's worse? Lower VI is not worse. The datasheet tells you nothing useful other than the HTHS. This could have the most cutting edge stuff in it, or it could be mediocre, but there is no data at all to interpret.

How do you know it's "sub-category"? Literally, the datasheet only says it's a 0W-40 with 3.8 HTHS. It could have unicorn tears in it for all we know. Do you think Porsche typically settles for sub-category and help fund an entirely new SKU to be developed so it can be "sub-category" and worse than PP Euro at Walmart?
You're right, the viscocity index is too close to really be meaningful, and VI alone doesn't tell the whole story.

The mystery here is why make a new oil that appears on paper so similiar as it's old one. Slight modification and rebranding? Are they changing their main platform away of c40 to something new and keeping gt cars on c40? Why merge a40 and c40? Just interesting. I wonder if its like Mobil 1 ESP being rebranded to Supercar with a slight modification, because why put an emissions systems protection oil into a supercar?

What I meant by sub-catagory is that it is another in the 0W-40 line, albeit one with a very specific target. I mean, just how many 0W-40s is Mobil up to now? Dare I say enough to have Mobil 1 fanatics splitting hairs, gnashing teeth, and howling at the moon here on BITOG about the virtues of M1 0W-40 GTESPX3LMNOP for several years to come.

What I meant by sub-catagory is that it is another in the 0W-40 line, albeit one with a very specific target. I mean, just how many 0W-40s is Mobil up to now? Dare I say enough to have Mobil 1 fanatics splitting hairs, gnashing teeth, and howling at the moon here on BITOG about the virtues of M1 0W-40 GTESPX3LMNOP for several years to come.
I don’t understand why is that important? Mobil1 makes oil for crowd that needs that oil, not for few BITOG people.
That is all point of approvals. Owner needs C40, here it is.

many companies have specific oils, castrol, mobil,motul e.t.c. nothing new to be impressed or criticise for that..other than that you go with other oils of the same company.but some drivers like the idea of using the specific oil for their cars..although no huge differences comparing with other oils from same company within the approvals..simple as that.its your choice.

I don’t understand why is that important? Mobil1 makes oil for crowd that needs that oil, not for few BITOG people.
Agreed. I was, more than anything, poking fun at the folks here that will try and argue any differences, perceived or otherwise, between very similar offerings, ie; the M1 0W-40 line of products. Kudos to E/M for offering specific products for specific needs, most manufacturers won't cater to this demographic and will try and cover all bases with one item. I don't pretend to know why, or what changes they make, no matter how slight, in order to achieve this, or what marketing info has driven it etc. I just know that sometimes, many choices can make things interesting from several different aspects.

Last edited:

However, that is my point. Maybe it's an early typo by Mobil for this oil and Porsche will change their GT Cars to C40 GT but:

"Mobil 1 C40 GT 0W-40 is specifically designed for Porsche GT engines requiring C40 GT specification³. Mobil 1 C40 GT 0W-40 is required by Porsche for the following models:"

They then list the models (GT Cars). All these GT models, that currently require A40 or C40, not C40GT.

They then, say
"Mobil 1 C40 GT 0W-40 is not suitable for Porsche vehicles requiring an A40, C20, C30 or C40 approved Mobil 1 engine oils."

A rational conclusion might be here is Porsche is recongized that their GT cars will transition to this new oil 991 / 982 model forwards, and then the "Regular" products non GT 911s / Boxster / Cayman/ All other models will move to a new oil.

However, that is my point. Maybe it's an early typo by Mobil for this oil and Porsche will change their GT Cars to C40 GT but:

"Mobil 1 C40 GT 0W-40 is specifically designed for Porsche GT engines requiring C40 GT specification³. Mobil 1 C40 GT 0W-40 is required by Porsche for the following models:"

They then list the models (GT Cars). All these GT models, that currently require A40 or C40, not C40GT.

They then, say

A rational conclusion might be here is Porsche is recongized that their GT cars will transition to this new oil 991 / 982 model forwards, and then the "Regular" products non GT 911s / Boxster / Cayman/ All other models will move to a new oil.
ESP X3 will be replaced by ESP X4 that also carries API SP

Mobil 1 ESP X4 0W-40 - VW 511 00 & Porsche C40 (not C40 GT; same as M1 ESP X3 0W-40):

A pourpoint of -54°C (X4) instead of -39°C (X3) suggests a significantly higher PAO content.

Who cares about anything API such as SP?
I would assume either XOM or Porsche cares since they reformulated it and got it a license. It may be as simple as supply chain simplification for XOM and they did not want to continue to make the X3 formula as it was. I'm sure API SP is not a primary goal of the program, of course.

Last edited:
They are trying to catch up to Castrol.

Back