Porsche GT3 /RS A40 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm extremely familiar with the 9A1 motor....No Oil is going to prevent the failures that the early ones experienced. Oil is Not going to stop it. It was a design flaw. Read some more, there's a fix...get it done and enjoy your 911. I'm not trying to sound Short...I've been there and done that...We spent countless hours engineering and understanding rod bearing failures in some our our race motors. We fixed them and Porsche redesigned some things. A flawed design Needs to be corrected. Oil is Not your Savoir here. You are me 25 years ago trying everything to stop the inevitable...unless you correct the flaw internally. Smart Porsche buyers can scoop up the 2015/2016 GT3 cheaply...spend a few bucks and have a Fantastic street car !!

Last edited:
Oil with high HTHS?

Mobil 1 5W50 FS X2 is around HTHS 4.4. Motul 300V 5W50 is 5.0 I believe.

Besides high temp shear strength, what other oil properities are good for valvetrain wear? Moly and ZDDP?

My plan is to run the current 5W50 FS X2 to around 1000 miles, then change is to Motul 300V 5W50. I'll monitor the oil analysis to see where there are the least wear metals. Some claim their engine has problems, and oil analysis never showed anything abnormal.

$158 store credit applied. Ordered my next stuff...wipers and cabin filters for the Sportwagen and Atlas...auto trans service kit and brake fluid for Passat.

Adding Driven DT40 5w40 the mix. FCP Euro sells both DT40 and DI40.

I can't seem to find a DI40 voa from blackstone. Anyone have one?

Thoughts on DI40 vs DT40 for a40 applicaiton? Lakespeed JR recomend DI40 over DT40 for A40, while Driven themselves recomended DT40 over DI40. DI40 has lower ZDDP and Moly, but also less calcium, but higher HTHS.

Screenshot 2024-01-16 172531.jpg

Suggest you re-read oliver's posts. You're not going to get any better/wiser feedback. And no VOA or paper specs, apart from actual OEM approvals, are going to tell you how any oil performs in the engine.

Thoughts on DI40 vs DT40 for a40 applicaiton? Lakespeed JR recomend DI40 over DT40 for A40, while Driven themselves recomended DT40 over DI40. DI40 has lower ZDDP and Moly, but also less calcium, but higher HTHS.

View attachment 198846
IDK man. Try it. Go with it and see what happens. I think we exhausted all advice.

300V comes in nice metal cans so I would pick 300V.

Mobil 1 must of been reading this thread and decided to do something, lol.

This popped up all the sudden, a Mobil 1 oil that is meant for all recent Porsche GT cars, but apparently not A40 or C40 certified but a new "C40 GT" ceritificaiton.

Both of these are Raced hard. They both get Motul 300V 5w40. We can Safely do 12 hour OCI's. Again, you are Peeing in the Wind trying to find a Magic Elixir...You've likely wasted more on oil by now than it would have cost to fix the flaw. Enjoy your GT3.

IMG_9739.jpeg

_DMP1480.jpeg

Both of these are Raced hard. They both get Motul 300V 5w40. We can Safely do 12 hour OCI's. Again, you are Peeing in the Wind trying to find a Magic Elixir...You've likely wasted more on oil by now than it would have cost to fix the flaw. Enjoy your GT3.

View attachment 200678

View attachment 200679

Nice car.. Looks awesome.

Really ironic though, on a website dedicated to talking about oil, people are getting worked up about people wanting to talk about oil. I've change the oil on my car once so far. The finger follower issue is far from a fatal flaw. Does it happen, sure, does it happen on all RS cars, no? Am I worried about it, not really.

I've settled on either Driven DI40 or Motul 300V, since both are sold on FCP euro, and I can change it for "Free" after the first change. often. Good oil and changed off are the best it's going to get.

Nice car.. Looks awesome.

Really ironic though, on a website dedicated to talking about oil, people are getting worked up about people wanting to talk about oil. I've change the oil on my car once so far. The finger follower issue is far from a fatal flaw. Does it happen, sure, does it happen on all RS cars, no? Am I worried about it, not really.

I've settled on either Driven DI40 or Motul 300V, since both are sold on FCP euro, and I can change it for "Free" after the first change. often. Good oil and changed off are the best it's going to get.
He is not getting worked up. He is just pointing out that you are looking for something that is really not necessary unless you are racing vehicles. If you are not worried about flaws, then use Porsche A40 oil, Mobil1 0W40, or whatever.
Unless you are spending every weekend on the track, no need for 300V.

The only bits of a PDS that are going to tell you how the oil will perform is the approvals/ratings/ect. A listing of contents is only good for ruminating or as a tangent example to a tribologist/blender's topic over additives in the market.

Far better stuff out there.

What's far better than Driven DI40, and how do you know? Just curious, how you make that assessment? It's a very popular oil with the Porsche crowd, and a lot of positive wear analysis trends once Porsche folks shifted away from Mobil 1 to Driven DT 40 and DI40.

DI40 is a mPAO oil, with low detegerents, high HTHS, high ZDDP. Looks pretty good to me. HTHS of 4.3 for a 5w40 is pretty solid.

I was against using it since it did not carry A40 approval, but Driven DI40 will likely be my next oil in my GT3 RS. Either DI40 or Motul 300v.

Dundon Motorsports has done tear downs on A40 Spec'd Porsche Engine's and their assessment is oils with high ZDDP and high viscocity are best for protecting these engines. Their favorites are Amsoil 10-40 and Motul 300V.

Last edited:
2 Used Oil Analysis of DI40 after ~5000 miles (0w40- older formula) in Porsche 991- 997s (I believe). General trend is DI40 has much lower wear in Porsche than Mobil Euro, Motul Xcess, typical A40 oils.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 183547.jpg

Why would you lose power? If you have the correct HTHS and flim strength for the temperature range you are competing in, along with enough friction modifiers, you shouldn't end up robbed of power. This is why racing oils have more Moly and other friction modifiers to free up any power that most off the shelf or regular API/etc approved oils don't give. Its why 300V is so popular among a lot of european racing teams because it meets the needs of high performance applications and has the durability and wear protection to back it up. Porsche teams dont just buy your typical A40 or C40 approved oil to go race with. It generally isn't going to withstand the demands of said racing application or give them the edge in power. Youd be surprised what just a handful of horses will do on the highbanks at Daytona or long stretches at Le Mans.
Plenty of Pro teams do indeed show up at the track with plain old Mobil 1 0w40...I've been to many IMSA and other sanctioned races and I've seen it used extensively. I saw a pro Porsche team at Mid-Ohio with Wal-Mart bags full of M1 0w40 bottles. It's a fine oil and does the job. These same teams also run it in the longer races at the 24 Hours of Daytona and the Sebring 12 hours. I've talked with them as well.

If one is better or not isn’t proven or illustrated by that spectrographic analysis.

Thanks for reminding me of what's wrong with this forum. Lots of of smart individuals that will tell you why you're wrong, even though you didn't say what they think you said. Very few will actually explain what's better and why. Tear things down, don't build them.

I posted 2 used oil analylsis from Porsche 997 with DI40 to have oil analysis as a reference. Others had posted trend analysis on a seperate forum, which I did not include, with wear metals generally lowers with Driven Oils than Mobil 1 Euro. I am after the A40 oil or A40 similiar that will give me the least engine wear, over fuel economy or over horsepower.

Plenty of Pro teams do indeed show up at the track with plain old Mobil 1 0w40...I've been to many IMSA and other sanctioned races and I've seen it used extensively. I saw a pro Porsche team at Mid-Ohio with Wal-Mart bags full of M1 0w40 bottles. It's a fine oil and does the job. These same teams also run it in the longer races at the 24 Hours of Daytona and the Sebring 12 hours. I've talked with them as well.
I would agree it's a fine oil, but I would add they rebuild their engines often, so they are after maximum HP and just enough durability to have the engine survive in the rebuild window. Is it the best engine for wear? Probably not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back