VW VR6 3.6 502.00 v. 504.00

I was thinking oils in the market (and especially a non European market) from different generations of the same approval.

There’s this one with api sm and a5b5 2008 besides vw 502 - https://www.amazon.in/Wuerth-5W40-Api-Synthetic-Engine/dp/B0842DTS9Q/

And then this much more modern formulation that has API SP and A3B4 besides VW 502 https://www.amazon.in/Mobil-0W-40-Advanced-Synthetic-Motor/dp/B00SFNO0UK/
Certain European oils cannot meet current API standards bcs. phosphorus levels. Castrol Edge 0W30 is IMO still best full SAPS European oil, but it is API SL.
Also, you ca. always find old batches among sellers.

Certain European oils cannot meet current API standards bcs. phosphorus levels. Castrol Edge 0W30 is IMO still best full SAPS European oil, but it is API SL.
Also, you ca. always find old batches among sellers.
Yes that old batch issue was why I asked about tagging dates to a continuously updated standard. Thanks for the added detail.

Yes that old batch issue was why I asked about tagging dates to a continuously updated standard. Thanks for the added detail.
Sure, but it really becomes technical for average consumer when even if old, it is still compatible with intended application.
On other hand, blenders, serious ones, stop sale of expired approvals.

Run VW502 oil in my Atlas with the 3.6 VR but wouldn't bat an eye at running a 504.

My understanding is within manufacture specs it can be a useful comparison tool. From the tool: "NOTE: These performance charts are primarily designed to demonstrate relative performances within the same industry specification . . . ." My understanding was that the big concern with lowered SAPS oils was increased wear and additive package depletion when exposed to high sulfur fuel (no longer a concern in the US). The benefit was less cat pollution and less potential intake deposits for DI engines.

It is frustrating that when a product appears to be better (i.e. C40/511 v. A40/502) the then the manufacture says not backward compatible with no explanation. I know I am splitting hairs, and frankly, given the good track record I have had with the 0w-40 in this engine, and it meets all the requirements for my other cars, and is the cheapest, it should be a no-brainer. Appreciate your continued thoughts.
I think you answered your own question.

Sure, but it really becomes technical for average consumer when even if old, it is still compatible with intended application.
On other hand, blenders, serious ones, stop sale of expired approvals.
Blenders stop selling it. Retailers will stick their unsold stocks on eBay and Amazon, or export it all out of the country to places with less stringent emission norms.

Back