Under valve cover pictures - 2016 Dodge Charger 70,000 miles total, 15,000 miles/33 months on HPL HDEO 5w-30

wwillson

Staff member
Most recent UOA:

I bought a bore scope so I could get some pictures under the valve cover of the Charger 3.6L with 70,000 miles on the clock. The oil is HPL CJ-4 5w-30 HDEO and has been in service for 15,000 miles and 33 months (no, the oil has not been changed). This is the first run of HPL in this vehicle.

Most recent UOA:

I bought a bore scope so I could get some pictures under the valve cover of the Charger 3.6L with 70,000 miles on the clock. The oil is HPL CJ-4 5w-30 HDEO and has been in service for 15,000 miles and 33 months (the oil has not been changed). This is the first run of HPL in this vehicle.

Take that thing to the junk yard...not sure how it is still running 🤣

OMG! We’ve all been bamboozled! @High Performance Lubricants sold us on the cleaning power of their oils, and just look at how filthy that thing is! Guess all the people that didn’t believe the hype were correct…

/sarcasm

Fantastic info in all seriousness, Wayne. I give you lots of credit not only for your methodical testing and documentation, but mainly for your intestinal fortitude and open mind to absorb the info that HPL has shared, and to run these oils far past what most people think as absolutely insane… especially on a brand new $70k truck.

Can you share with the board how simple it’s been on your Duramax to only have to perform 2 oil changes in ~50k miles and still have great UOAs and a perfectly running engine?

This is borderline unbelievable. But it's right there for all of us to see.

I looked up that scope. I will NOT be getting one of those. Is there a Wish version out there somewhere? 😆

This is borderline unbelievable. But it's right there for all of us to see.

I looked up that scope. I will NOT be getting one of those. Is there a Wish version out there somewhere? 😆
Harbor freight has one “sort of” like that for around $90. I’m sure it isn’t as good as the one wwilson has but the reviews say it does what they need it too do

A bunch of us HPL users (are there actually a "bunch" of us?) should get together, pool our funds and donate a used high mileage junkyard hemi or some other engine that is known to run dirty, and then let HPL take "before" and "after" pics of running their cheapest PCMO 5w-20 in it for X hours. I'm sure the results would be fantastic and might sway a few doubters.

I'm a big fan of boutique oils. Looking on the back of the @High Performance Lubricants Engine Clean 30 it discussed both commodity oils and how they leave deposits behind and then how even if it meets the spec, it most likely won't run clean throughout the interval. I think for the ones running HPL, REDLINE, AMSOIL and a few others that there is reward in using these products. I'm not there completely yet as I did buy lots of M1 EP and 0w30 jugs back when the price was cheap, but I have been able to use a QT of Redline in each oci and I definitely don't consume nearly the oil. I will say for certain, that Redline CVT fluid is stellar and I can tell the difference between it and using OTC CVT fluid.

Attachments

• 20231005_094454.jpg
    20231005_094454.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 92
Can you share with the board how simple it’s been on your Duramax to only have to perform 2 oil changes in ~50k miles and still have great UOAs and a perfectly running engine?
It's the difference between 5 oil changes and 1 oil change in first 45k miles of the truck's life. The truck will be due for the second oil as soon as I get to 50k miles. Knowing what we know now, 5 changes does seem like a bit of a waste of oil.

Back