Dealer used 5.5qts for my 10qts capacity Blackwing

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should.

The OP can file a claim for diminished value due to the dealer's negligence.
How? What damage has occurred that you can quanitify? You can do that say in the instance of a crash that wasn't your fault in some states.

I love the argument of what do expect from an oil tech making minimum wage?

My answer is they make minimum wage not because what they're doing isn't important but because what they're doing is easy and doesn't require any special skills. They are being compensated at the level their skill set to DO THE JOB CORRECTLY.
True but easy is boring and when you're bored your mind wanders or you start conversing with fellow employees. It's also possible that a dealership may have some sort of inducement for techs to run through oil changes as quickly as possible. People rush and mess up. It happens in all work environments where compensation is in part based on meeting daily individual production targets.

For the folks that are saying extend the warranty. How? Cadillac/GM is not invovled at this point, it's at the dealer level....so they would provide a third party extended warranty is what folks as thinking? How long is ok for this warranty beyond the manufacturer's warranty? Lifetime? This is a bit ridiculous. Get it in writing on a service order. Write a letter to GM and speak with the dealer's GM. Not sure what else can really be done. They aren't giving him a new car. Careful on the record bit here...may end up having an unintended consequence by having that show up on a Carfax and bite the owner when it comes time to sell it.

The dealer can purchase a GM extended warranty on behalf of the customer. It's not that difficult.

How? What damage has occurred that you can quanitify? You can do that say in the instance of a crash that wasn't your fault in some states.
Back in the summer of 2013 I bought a brand new 2013 Hyundai Elantra sedan. It was my dream spec: black, barebones, and with a six speed manual transmission. At six hundred miles I took it in to the dealer along with Mobil 1 EP 5W-20 to have my first oil change done. In retrospect, I should have done it myself... Well, someone didn't know how to use the lift correctly, because they messed up the passenger side front fender and some other stuff. Of course, they didn't tell me about it, let alone own up to it.

So I went straight to the GM and owner. They wanted me to take it to their body shop, so on and so forth. I said no way, it's a brand new car. So I proposed a simpler solution: they get the car back for everything I paid for it, and I get another vehicle. Then they can spend as much time as they want with it fixing it. So I ended up with another brand new 2013 Elantra, but this time it was a blue metallic hatchback with fancy rims and ... a six speed automatic. Yes, the new vehicle was $5K more at the time, but it was fully optioned out.

They were actually happy to sell it to me because Elantra hatchbacks were always slow sellers, especially one in top trim. IIRC they were called Elantra GT. A few days later I stopped by and my old black 2013 Elantra was on their used lot for sale, for more than I paid for it, and without any of the damage fixed. And a few days after that, someone bought it. Nothing is impossible, you just have to think it through. ;)

I bet it won't be worth the headache to get it but always worth asking.

I work in a similar industry so I can see both sides of this.

I'm not on board with the outrage new car viewpoint... That's crazy, and it seems a worse option for the OP considering he'd probably have to wait a year or more for it. However the customer should also not be told there is nothing the dealer can do. The dealer (employee) made a mistake, and while I agree there was likely no damage done, the owner of the car doesn't know that for sure. So an extended warranty will help to put his mind at ease.

On the business side, there are multiple reasons to do this. For one, they carry insurance to cover this exact thing. Two, making the customer whole is simply good for business in the long run. Three, it's just the right thing to do.

People make mistakes, or get complacent. No matter how many people in this thread want to pound their chest and play the blame game, I don't care who you are, we have all done things like this, and will again. The important thing is how it is handled from that point on.

@TiGeo honestly, GM engineers would be the best people to ask if running the engine with 4.5 quarts of oil in the conditions that the OP ran it will cause any permanent damage. Everything else is just guessing and speculation. I believe that would be the best course of action for the OP. Once he gets his answer, he can decide what his next steps should be.

True but easy is boring and when you're bored your mind wanders or you start conversing with fellow employees. It's also possible that a dealership may have some sort of inducement for techs to run through oil changes as quickly as possible. People rush and mess up. It happens in all work environments where compensation is in part based on meeting daily individual production targets.
Almost everyone's job/profession becomes boring/routine/mundane with time. Many people's jobs are high volume as well. I'm bored out of my mind most of the time in my profession but run my butt off all day seeing patients. I was also bored out of my mind most of the time making minimum wage working at the pizzeria in high school and college but I was professional about it and it was still important to me that people's food was of a certain quality and that they received it when we said it would be ready.

Lots of jobs are boring and hectic...so what? If someone accepts the job then they need to do it well. These people are working on hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of vehicles in a day - they NEED to get it right every time. Perhaps that's why I am in life where I am and they are in life where they are. I always gave my best...even for minimum wage...and we all need to stop accepting this mediocrity.

I want to be a woke thinnie to irriate all the get off my lawn thickie types around here but alas...I identify as a thickie most of the time :ROFLMAO:
If you join the UPenn State women's swim team..... you can be both.
I mean all three as in the London marathon.
Mathematicians can call it the alphabet soup theory. Like the butterfly effect.
Become whatever suits you at the moment, and if enough people agree with a "like validation", it's true.

Last edited:
Almost everyone's job/profession becomes boring/routine/mundane with time. Many people's jobs are high volume as well. I'm bored out of my mind most of the time in my profession but run my butt off all day seeing patients. I was also bored out of my mind most of the time making minimum wage working at the pizzeria in high school and college but I was professional about it and it was still important to me that people's food was of a certain quality and that they received it when we said it would be ready.

Lots of jobs are boring and hectic...so what? If someone accepts the job then they need to do it well. These people are working on hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of vehicles in a day - they NEED to get it right every time. Perhaps that's why I am in life where I am and they are in life where they are. I always gave my best...even for minimum wage...and we all need to stop accepting this mediocrity.
I tend to agree with you.

Oh stop...not as shocking as you want it to seem. I worked plenty of minimum wage jobs for many years but like everything even partially meaningful in my life I took them seriously. If someone can't give another person's $90K vehicle it's due consideration then I'll be willing to bet they aren't going very far beyond minimum wage jobs for no other reason than their poor attitude and laziness. If I changed oil for a living, yeah, I'd get it right every single time.

Last edited:
@TiGeo honestly, GM engineers would be the best people to ask if running the engine with 4.5 quarts of oil in the conditions that the OP ran it will cause any permanent damage. Everything else is just guessing and speculation. I believe that would be the best course of action for the OP. Once he gets his answer, he can decide what his next steps should be.
Most GM V8s have been running low on oil since they brought back cylinder deactivation around 2007. Sounds like normal operation from an engineering standpoint.

I don’t think asking for additional powertrain warranty is out of line. Depending on the mileage currently on the vehicle and how far it’s going extended that could make sense for both parties.

The dealership will offer some free LOF coupons and a detail. That’s SOP for service managers trying to appease customers.

Straight trade for a new car is ridiculous. Then again a lady got two million for burning herself with McDonald’s coffee so….

1) That sucks
2) dealerships don't hire the best and brightest. The good/great mechanics aren't working at the dealer.
3) lowest job at the dealership is the oil change guy
4) trust no one.

I needed an oil change and transmission fluid change. Easy right? Was January and it was too cold and I was too lazy to do it. Brought it to the dealer in the morning picked up in the afternoon. Checked both levels in their parking lot. One was half qt. low the other half qt. high. In my case, doubt it would have made a difference. But, at 4:30PM made the losers fix the situation while I watched. These people don't give two ****s about your car. They have no pride in what they do. They want to go to work, do bare minimum (actually less, since bare minimum would be to fill the right amount of fluids) and go home....

We're talking about making mistakes not working hard. I'd say that the bored oil technician should be given a break. Afterall on a yearly basis 40,000 to 80,000 patients die every year due to misdiagnosis and around 12,000,000 patients are misdiagnosed in general. We don't stop going to see a doctor because of it.

We're talking about making mistakes not working hard. I'd say that the bored oil technician should be given a break.
It's not the technician's fault, at all. It's the dealer's.

Afterall on a yearly basis 40,000 to 80,000 patients die every year due to misdiagnosis and around 12,000,000 patients are misdiagnosed in general.
That's a misleading and worthless analogy because the OP didn't take his vehicle in to have some issue diagnosed. He took it in for an oil change. That's more like dialysis, where a doctor isn't required. Now, imagine being a nurse, and screwing that up.

We don't stop going to see a doctor because of it.
You can request a second, and even a third opinion. Then again, if you know anything about reputable hospitals and doctors, then you'd know that they don't rush to conclusions when they diagnose patients, especially when complications are involved. These doctors consult their peers before they decide on a course of action.

I'd like to know where you pulled those stats from, because they don't have anything to do with reality. Source?

Just like if the lube tech crashed it while pulling it into the bay you won't get nor does anyone deserve a new vehicle over this. If they crashed it then it will get repaired to fix the issue.
Since nothing is wrong with the engine currently despite what anyone wants to believe nothing is wrong with the engine as far as any dealership or manufacturer is concerned. The fix they performed here was topping off to the correct oil level lol.
1) no check engine light
2) oil pressure meets manufacturer specifications XX psi @ X,XXX rpm.
3) no abnormal sounds.

I was a technician for over 10 years, above is what the dealer and manufacturer will base engine condition on beyond any other testing such as compression testing ECT but honestly a compression test doesn't really apply to this situation.
Can you get more out of them, sure if you make a stink and I'm not saying you are wrong to try. But no one will get a new car in this situation. Just like if it was crashed it's a crappy situation and getting repaired after being crashed may make it "fixed" but unfortunately it still isn't the same and you still end up losing.
At least they didn't wreck it.

To original poster, good luck to you but I'm sure it will be just fine. See what you can get out of them and as other have said be sure it's documented to cover your ass, then after don't lose any sleep over it, it's going to be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back