BMW dealer recommends other oil spec than manual recommends

Checked the oil they use at the Mercedes dealership for my vehicle. Said they use the same M1 oil for all the vehicles they service. You guessed it. NOT to spec for my vehicle. Specifies ESP. Another reason I will do my own oil changes!

Your thread title says

I have no idea what BMW says in their manuals but if they "recommend" 0W30 with LL 12FE or LL19FE spec oil, please look up the definition of recommend vs require.
I apolgize for the confusion, english is not my native language and i didn't pay enough attention. The manual say "adequate oil" for LL-12FE and LL-19FE, and alternative oil: ACEA C2 and C3 but only for top up and maximum 1L.

Adequate and recommended are pretty much the same thing. Definitely doesn't mean required.

And your English is perfectly fine 👊🏻
Ok, ok, i think i understand what you mean. So even if it's writen in the manual, if it doesn't say requierd, it means it's just a recommendation, it's not "obligatory".

Hi guys!

I just got a M2 G87 and the break in period is about to end. I talked with the guys at the BMW dealer for the break in service and they told me they will use 5w30 oil with the LL 04 spec. The car's manual says the recommended oil is 0W30 with LL 12FE or LL19FE spec.
I find it odd the dealer recommends something else.... I guess that's the only oil they have in stock...
What do you think, should i insist they use the right spec oil, or just go with what they say ?
I mention i'm from Europe if that matters.

Cheers !
LL04 is the better oil and approved as an alternative by BMW for areas outside North America. Its nice your dealership understands this.

Hi guys!

I just got a M2 G87 and the break in period is about to end. I talked with the guys at the BMW dealer for the break in service and they told me they will use 5w30 oil with the LL 04 spec. The car's manual says the recommended oil is 0W30 with LL 12FE or LL19FE spec.
I find it odd the dealer recommends something else.... I guess that's the only oil they have in stock...
What do you think, should i insist they use the right spec oil, or just go with what they say ?
I mention i'm from Europe if that matters.

Cheers !
don't worry about that. Next time You can use Castrol 0w-30 (C3), That oil have both bmw LL04 and LL19FE approvals

"To those of you who missed the date on the video… this was an April fools joke. I’m a little concerned how many thought it was real 😅😅😅"

LOL.

HMM - looked up an online manual and it said: BMW Longlife-01 FE. However it also says there is a sticker under the hood to follow.
OP is in Europe. This is an American manual.

Ok, ok, i think i understand what you mean. So even if it's writen in the manual, if it doesn't say requierd, it means it's just a recommendation, it's not "obligatory".
LL04 is a better oil, anyway. Keep it in! Keep the invoice just in case. Personally, I would go to that service all the time.

Back