2020 CX5 oil capacity discrepancy

Checked the CX-5 cold in the morning on a 1.5 degree incline I am slightly under the full mark (1/8 inch) with 5.6 qts. in it.

I know it is 1.5 degrees, because my `16 Suburban has an inclinometer, that teeters between 1-2 degrees in this parking space in my driveway.

Yesterday, engine warm on level surface, 1/8 inch above fill mark. All is good, just caught me by surprise as the manual was speccing 4.8. Amsoil's site states:
Capacity:With filter 4.8 quarts. After refill check oil level.

So I guess there is a wide variation as to what drains out. I guess the ramps for the drain makes a big difference for how much drains out!

I feel like I should have been an engineer. Very few people aside from members of this site understand my technical thoughts and struggles.

Thanks!
Have a great holiday!

Checked the CX-5 cold in the morning on a 1.5 degree incline I am slightly under the full mark (1/8 inch) with 5.6 qts. in it.

I know it is 1.5 degrees, because my `16 Suburban has an inclinometer, that teeters between 1-2 degrees in this parking space in my driveway.

Yesterday, engine warm on level surface, 1/8 inch above fill mark. All is good, just caught me by surprise as the manual was speccing 4.8. Amsoil's site states:
Capacity:With filter 4.8 quarts. After refill check oil level.

So I guess there is a wide variation as to what drains out. I guess the ramps for the drain makes a big difference for how much drains out!

I feel like I should have been an engineer. Very few people aside from members of this site understand my technical thoughts and struggles.

Thanks!
Have a great holiday!
I’ve found with some cars you can drain nearly a whole extra litre out by having the car on an angle (eg front axle up on ramps).

Great comedy in this thread, especially how some think the dipstick reading will be drastically different before and after a 15 minute drive.
Engine oil heats up slower than the coolant does, so isn't at full temperature after 15 minutes.
But furthermore cold or hot on the dipstick is not a dramatic change, it is a small amount.
I can go on a road trip in my F150 with V8, check the oil in the morning cold before leaving, drive 5 hours stop for gas and check it at the gas station, and then check it again the next morning at the hotel parking lot when cold. All 3 readings are similar, its not like it reads Add cold, and Full hot. It barely moves at all, if it was at 7/8 full cold, it may make full hot.

My experience with Mazdas.... I currently have a 2021 cx5 turbo and 2018 3 na. Previously had a 2014 6 and a 2016 CX5 (both na). Oil changes were so simple on all four. Just dump a full 5 qt jug in and it worked out fine on the dip stick. Almost always right at the full mark! I've occasionally checked the turbo when cold (sitting overnight and in the morning). Oil level was about 1/8" below the full mark when it was on the full mark when warm the night before. Seemed like it should have been more but wasn't.

Maybe next time I dump in all five quarts just to see how close I get to the full mark. I let the dealer do the first oil change. They went past the full mark. I wonder if they do that so customers don’t feel shortchanged/cheated because stick doesn’t show full?

Maybe next time I dump in all five quarts just to see how close I get to the full mark. I let the dealer do the first oil change. They went past the full mark. I wonder if they do that so customers don’t feel shortchanged/cheated because stick doesn’t show full?
More than likely they use bulk oil and were careless and accidentially over filled it.

More than likely they use bulk oil and were careless and accidentially over filled it.
They did use bulk Total, that’s what they said. Mazda had a deal with Total at the time. The manual recommends Castrol, which I have never used. Just goes to show how much brand matters.

There has been considerable discussion on the Mazda CX 5 Forum regarding oil capacity of the 2.5 liter engines.

Anyway, I have a 2019 CX 5 with the 2.5L turbo engine. I have done every oil change since new myself. After pulling the drain plug and old filter I typically let the oil drain for at least an hour. A couple of times it has been overnight. It takes exactly a five quart jug and another 16 ounces poured into a graduated measuring container (5 1/2 quarts total) to reach the top mark on the dipstick. And that is what I do every time. The engine doesn't use any oil between changes and continues to read at the top mark every time I check it.

The owners manual was incorrect. And other owners confirmed my observations. Here is what the owners manual shows:
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
It's the ramps draining more on an incline than when level. I use ramps too on the wife's 2022 CX-5 non-turbo.

I use 4.5L (4.8 qt) from a jug than add another 12 oz from a bottle. Making 5.09 quarts to get a reading mid-range on the dipstick.

Ok, I’m weirded out a bit. Just did first oil change on wife’s 2024 CX-5 non-turbo. 2400 miles on engine.

New OEM filter, Castrol edge 0W-20. Put in all 5 quarts. Ran engine on a nice level surface in garage.

Shut off engine. Waited about 10 minutes.

Oil level at exactly 1/2 between the low and max marks.

Doesn’t sit well with me and my OCD…..add to full mark or?

I have markings on oil drain pan and amount drained was exactly 5 quarts. Including drained oil filter. So?

Last edited:
I put in 5.6 and it is overfilled it about a 1/8”. I’ll probably just leave the extra in.

When I drained the oil it was on ramps which seemed to drain out more than being level.

I put in 5.6 and it is overfilled it about a 1/8”. I’ll probably just leave the extra in.

When I drained the oil it was on ramps which seemed to drain out more than being level.
I did it on ramps also, but drained amount was right at 5 quarts, including oil filter. So, 5 quarts went in with the new filter installed. Right at 1/2. Letting it sit and check in morning.

I did it on ramps also, but drained amount was right at 5 quarts, including oil filter. So, 5 quarts went in with the new filter installed. Right at 1/2. Letting it sit and check in morning.
I am mad at myself for overfilling, I tried to use an oil extractor, but the tube won’t go low enough in to engine for some reason without hitting something. I thought about loosening the drain plug or draining about 1/4 qt, but probably won’t as it not worth the possible mess.

I would say you are good at 5 qts. Maybe 1/4 qt more at most. That way you have room for the oil to rise if there is fuel dilution.

Not with that engine, but others.

My 5.7 hemi is listed at 7, but I easily fit 7.5ish in every time.
I just put 6.25 in our Chrysler 3.6 where the owners manual says 5qts. Usually it's 6, so the extra .25 wasn't expected.
From my experience the 5.7 hemi will be in the middle of the safe zone on the dipstick with 7 quarts, and the only Pentastar I know of that takes 5 quarts is the Pacifica van.

I am mad at myself for overfilling, I tried to use an oil extractor, but the tube won’t go low enough in to engine for some reason without hitting something. I thought about loosening the drain plug or draining about 1/4 qt, but probably won’t as it not worth the possible mess.

I would say you are good at 5 qts. Maybe 1/4 qt more at most. That way you have room for the oil to rise if there is fuel dilution.
So, checked it this morning. Stone cold. Just a touch over half way up the dip stick. I added a little less than a 1/4 quart. Brought it to just a hair below the hole for the MAX line.

Calling it good. Really, should be like 5.2 quarts in the manual. Not 4.8.

I should mention my wife drove to the store last evening with it, so it did get a little drive. We let it sit until morning and I checked it when I got up.

So, checked it this morning. Stone cold. Just a touch over half way up the dip stick. I added a little less than a 1/4 quart. Brought it to just a hair below the hole for the MAX line.

Calling it good. Really, should be like 5.2 quarts in the manual. Not 4.8.

I should mention my wife drove to the store last evening with it, so it did get a little drive. We let it sit until morning and I checked it when I got up.
Probably 4.8 qts when drained level (on a lift), 5.2 when drain with the front elevated on ramps.

Probably 4.8 qts when drained level (on a lift), 5.2 when drain with the front elevated on ramps.
Weird thing is I measured what came out. 5 quarts almost exactly, including draining oil filter into oil catch basin. Like almost on the dot.

I’m thinking slightly under filled from factory. I didn’t check oil since I bought car. I wish I had…..

Weird thing is I measured what came out. 5 quarts almost exactly, including draining oil filter into oil catch basin. Like almost on the dot.

I’m thinking slightly under filled from factory. I didn’t check oil since I bought car. I wish I had…..
Or it burned some as it was breaking in!

Back