2020 CX5 oil capacity discrepancy

Did my first oil change on my new to me 2020 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring. 2.5 non-turbo.

Manual and websites say 4.8 qts. Why did it take 5.5 qts. to bring the oil to the full mark on the dipstick?

I used ramps, so the front up on an incline. While the oil and filter was draining I jacked up the rear to level the car out. Nothing addition seemed to drain out while raising the rear to level.

I have been working on cars for years and aware of all the stuff, like car level, wait until all oil returns to oil pan etc.

Just surprised it took .7 qts. more than the book calls for to get to the full mark on the dipstick, anyone else experience this with the 2.5 in a CX5?

In case you're wondering Amsoil 0w-20 Sig. Series went in along with a Mazda 1wpe-14-302 filter.

Last edited:
Not with that engine, but others.

My 5.7 hemi is listed at 7, but I easily fit 7.5ish in every time.
I just put 6.25 in our Chrysler 3.6 where the owners manual says 5qts. Usually it's 6, so the extra .25 wasn't expected.

Did my first oil change on my new to me 2020 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring. 2.5 non-turbo.

Manual and websites say 4.8 qts. Why did it take 5.5 qts. to bring the oil to the full mark on the dipstick?

I used ramps, so the front up on an incline. While the oil and filter was draining I jacked up the rear to level the car out. Nothing addition seemed to drain out while raising the rear to level.

I have been working on cars for years and aware of all the stuff, like car level, wait until all oil returns to oil pan etc.

Just surprised it took .7 qts. more than the book calls for to get to the full mark on the dipstick, anyone else experience this with the 2.5 in a CX5?

In case you're wondering Amsoil 0w-20 Sig. Series went in along with a Mazda 1wpe-14-302 filter.
Maybe the dipstick is too short?

Did you pour a little new oil in during draining to "flush" as much old oil out as possible, and forget? I've done that a time or two (or three). Or, did you perchance empty the drained oil into a large container to measure what you drained out? I always do this to make sure I put back at least what I drained out...knowing that I'd checked the level several times over the past weeks on a level surface and therefore felt I knew that amount was "full". Since I always drain on an incline to maximize drainage, I simply replace the same volume I removed. Then, later when that car is back on a level surface, I re-check to be sure it's full as expected.

I checked it cold in the morning and also again when warm after a drive. Maybe it will be overfull when hot? Then I will be sucking some out with the MityVac, I guess.

Last edited:

I have the same issue on my 2022 CX5. My feeling is they probably did this because of fuel dilution from their direct injection.

I have the same issue on my 2022 CX5. My feeling is they probably did this because of fuel dilution from their direct injection.
Good to know! I will keep an eye on it, if it rises too high.
I thought the SkyActive direct injection engines were not prone to the fuel dilution issues like many other engines?

Good to know! I will keep an eye on it, if it rises too high.
I thought the SkyActive direct injection engines were not prone to the fuel dilution issues like many other engines?
Well I ran an UOA on my last OCI and it appeared to not be an issue so far. But I will continue to run Non-ethylene gas.

Oil level should be checked with enginebat full operating temp.
After a 10-15 min drive.

Odds are you overfilled it.

Very often the capacity from the owners manual only accounts for enough oil to be 1/3 or 1/2 way up the dipstick between the Add & Full marks. I always fill mine up to the Full mark.

For example: my engines that spec 4.5qts get the full 5qts.
But, aside from maybe 1-2 vehicles out of 40+ that I owned, most took .5qts more than the owners manual recommends, just to be at Full mark.

In some Toyota/Lexus/Scion cars I also went with a larger oil filter (3600 VS 3614, or 3593 VS 7317) and that added another .5qts to the overall capacity.

Just rechecked after a 15 minute drive and 10 minute wait. The same as before. Reading 1/8 inch above full mark. I'm just leaving it that way. It it rises from fuel dilution, I will suck some out.

Thanks!

I checked it cold in the morning and also again when warm after a drive. Maybe it will be overfull when hot? Then I will be sucking some out with the MityVac, I guess.
You are doing it right, check oil when the motor is stone cold. I always do it after the car has sat overnight. That’s when the maximum amount of oil has drained Attempting to get an accurate level reading on a hot engine will never be accurate.

Z

Back