Dealer underfilled the car with wrong weight oil…

Was the light for low oil pressure or low oil level? Not sure if the 3.6 has a level sensor, but the newer Subaru engines have an amber light for low oil level.

If it was low oil pressure, there's probably at least some bearing damage. I'd be cutting the oil filter open to check for metal. If there's no metal in the filter, or just a few sparkles, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I do all my own service but have multiple cars and getting forgetful in my old age.
I put a strip of white duct tape on the engine cover and write the filter number and number of quarts.

I got a dealer oil change where they only put in about one quart.
They started the engine and it was surging more than usual and the oil light stayed on.
That was the last time I had somewhere else change the oil in any of our vehicles.

Almost forgot! Don't pay the bill until you read it first (for correct viscosity).
I learned this on my last purchase . Nissan Titan . Free oil change from the dealer . When she handed me my keys I checked the paperwork . No mention of the type and weight , so I asked . " We used 10w-30 blend " . The manual clearly states 0w-20 synthetic or equivalent . Well that ain't equivalent enough for me . Redo it . This time I watched through the big window .

1000009422.jpg

This indicator appears when the engine oil
level decreases to the lower limit.

Exactly why dealerships are not touching my vehicles unless its absolutely necessary for warranty or recall work.
Same here, and when they offer free oil changes as a perk I tell them to give me something, else like a free tank of gas, and keep the free oil changes.

Hi there, brought a friends 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6r to the dealer for an oil change on Friday. A couple miles down the road , in a snow storm, the eyesight and oil light flickered on. I pulled over and turned the car off. Upon restarting, all lights went off.
On our way back from skiing 2 days and a couple hundred miles later the oil light came back on. Pulled right in to an autozone and found the oil to be 2 quarts low and upon reviewing the receipt- they filled it with 0-20 instead of 5-30.
Wondering if/ how much damage this may have caused. Calling the dealer tomorrow and I’m sure they’ll just want to change it for free. The car only has 17,000 miles on it and has been dealership maintained since new, he’s planning to keep it for ever.
He’s always had the piece of mind because he’s so anal with maintenance but now feels like even if it’s running decently still, what happens when the motor pops in 30k miles. Think I should push for a warranty of something?
It was a winter cold storm.
I bet the oil did not get that hot.
You should be fine.

Back