0w30 or 0w-40 for my use case?

Hi all, planning for the first oil change on my 2018 Golf R, doing some research on this forum and have narrowed down the oil to either Castrol Edge Euro A3/B4 0w-40 OR Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w-30. Both are same price for me if that makes a difference. I know dealer used to use Castrol 5w-40 and last few years switched to VW OEM 0w-30 (probably Mobil 1). I haven't really had issues with either oil.

Based on research seems like Castrol is the slightly thicker oil at 40C and 100C so probably offers better protection while the Pennzoil meets VW 504 spec which is more stringent but primarily around longer oil change interval, lower emissions and better MPG. I don't drive much so wouldn't even hit a 5k interval annually; would probably just change the oil every 8-12 months. Also not overly concerned about MPG.

I live in Calgary (Canada) and use the car for my daily commute to work which is about 5km each way, the oil does not get anywhere near close to operating temp in that time, gauge maybe gets to around 60C on a warm day, cold days my sensor doesn't even register so must be below 50C. I'm mostly looking for best engine protection and best cold start ability in winter because I park my car outside at work and temps can get to -25C (average around -20C - 15C on most days). At home the car is garage stored and only drops to about -5C during coldest nights.

What oil should I pick given my use case and knowing that most times that I'm driving it's not really getting up to operating temperatures?

PS. Ideally I'd like to use same oil year around and temps in the summer here can get up to 30C, but not too often, I don't track the car or drive aggressively or really go for long distances.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Hi all, planning for the first oil change on my 2018 Golf R, doing some research on this forum and have narrowed down the oil to either Castrol Edge Euro A3/B4 0w-40 OR Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w-30. Both are same price for me if that makes a difference. I know dealer used to use Castrol 5w-40 and last few years switched to VW OEM 0w-30 (probably Mobil 1). I haven't really had issues with either oil.

Based on research seems like Castrol is the slightly thicker oil at 40C and 100C so probably offers better protection while the Pennzoil meets VW 504 spec which is more stringent but primarily around longer oil change interval, lower emissions and better MPG. I don't drive much so wouldn't even hit a 5k interval annually; would probably just change the oil every 8-12 months. Also not overly concerned about MPG.

I live in Calgary (Canada) and use the car for my daily commute to work which is about 5km each way, the oil does not get anywhere near close to operating temp in that time, gauge maybe gets to around 60C on a warm day, cold days my sensor doesn't even register so must be below 50C. I'm mostly looking for best engine protection and best cold start ability in winter because I park my car outside at work and temps can get to -25C (average around -20C - 15C on most days). At home the car is garage stored and only drops to about -5C during coldest nights.

What oil should I pick given my use case and knowing that most times that I'm driving it's not really getting up to operating temperatures?

PS. Ideally I'd like to use same oil year around and temps in the summer here can get up to 30C, but not too often, I don't track the car or drive aggressively or really go for long distances.

Go 0W30. It has a minimum HTHS of 3.5cp and it is not energy-conserving oil nor it is longer drain oil compared to Castrol 0W40. One is Full SAPS (Castrol) another is Low-SAPS (Pennzoil). Consider this, it is repackaged PPE:

0w30

I always thought vw was partnered with castrol as a factory fill or at least in the past. Both are great oil choices 0w30 or 0w40 would serve you fine. Whichever you get better priced I’d say use

Funny you should say "Calgary" and "Golf R"!

I have a buddy in Calgary with a 2016 Golf R that's modded. We recently had a discussion about the grade of oil he's running.
Since the car doesn't have a block heater, tuners have suggested he stick with 5w40 (due to the increased performance demands on the engine).
I said he should go with a 0w40, but it's his car and he wants to follow the tuners suggestion.

I use 5w30 ESP in my car, but it doesn't get as cold here. In your situation I would use the 0w30. The Pennzoil, Quaker State and Motomaster are all the same oil in different jugs.

Go 0W30. It has a minimum HTHS of 3.5cp and it is not energy-conserving oil nor it is longer drain oil compared to Castrol 0W40. One is Full SAPS (Castrol) another is Low-SAPS (Pennzoil). Consider this, it is repackaged PPE:
I didn't realize the Motomaster was the same as Pennzoil, I was at CAD tire last night ands saw this on the shelf but ignored it completely! Will go pick some up tonight, at that price sounds like a no brainer

Funny you should say "Calgary" and "Golf R"!

I have a buddy in Calgary with a 2016 Golf R that's modded. We recently had a discussion about the grade of oil he's running.
Since the car doesn't have a block heater, tuners have suggested he stick with 5w40 (due to the increased performance demands on the engine).
I said he should go with a 0w40, but it's his car and he wants to follow the tuners suggestion.
I've noticed a lot of independent shops in Calgary suggest 5w40 for the Golf R (liqui moly quite often). I suspect its because they assume these cars are going to be driven quite hard in the summer and because it was at one point the spec that the dealerships used and VW recommended. I think more recently dealers have gone to the new VW 504 spec which doesn't have oil in that weight. But generally I would probably never run 5w40 for my R because of my use case (ie. park outside and rarely get to proper temp on my drives, your friend might be different).

I've noticed a lot of independent shops in Calgary suggest 5w40 for the Golf R (liqui moly quite often). I suspect its because they assume these cars are going to be driven quite hard in the summer and because it was at one point the spec that the dealerships used and VW recommended. I think more recently dealers have gone to the new VW 504 spec which doesn't have oil in that weight. But generally I would probably never run 5w40 for my R because of my use case (ie. park outside and rarely get to proper temp on my drives, your friend might be different).
I completely agree.
His car is highly modded, so IMHO, a thicker oil would be the better choice.
For an almost stock/totally stock vehicle, there's no need to go that extreme.

VW 511.00 would be the 40 grade equivalent of 504.00.. 504/507 is 30 grade only.

Since you don't drive the car aggressively and don't live in a hot climate, the 0W-30 will be more than thick enough to protect the engine at operating temperature, and may even do so better than the 0W-40 when the engine is cold. Fuel economy will be better with the 0W-30 as well.

One-year OCIs at 5k (assuming km?) is reasonable and very conservative even with the short-tripping. If you have a block heater, I'd use it for a few hours even in the garage at -5 C to help the engine spend more time at warmer temperatures, which is good for oil life and reduced wear as well.

I hazard to disagree that VW 504/507 oil isn't long drain interval oil, not that I'd run long OCIs with it but the certification suggests the oil passed 650 engine hours test run. Depending on your average driving speed it may as well be a long drain interval oil.
Pennzoil LX 0w-30 comes as made in Germany as does Motomaster Euro 0w-30 but not QS LX. I tried all 3 and won't be buying QS LX in the future - noisier engine and some oil loss due to burning while on paper they are same. Also, those oils are C2 certified as well that makes them somewhat energy conserving.
If your engine calls for xw-40 oils then go that route unless it allows xw-30 and you don't drive very hard.

Last edited:
Since both 502 00 and 504 00 approvals have the same minimum HT/HS, any grade difference is largely irrelevant. Pick the desired approval and forget about grade unless a 5W winter rating is inappropriate for the expected starting conditions (below about -30).

And as for getting an oil up to temp fastest, the thicker the better.

0W30 is what I try to buy when I can find it for cheap. Prefer this weight for similar reasons - short trips etc.

I didn't realize the Motomaster was the same as Pennzoil, I was at CAD tire last night ands saw this on the shelf but ignored it completely! Will go pick some up tonight, at that price sounds like a no brainer
I thought motomaster was made by shell.....

0W30 is what I try to buy when I can find it for cheap. Prefer this weight for similar reasons - short trips etc.
And if you can't find it "for cheap," what do you buy? What do you consider to be cheap?

Back