2020 CX5 oil capacity discrepancy

As it relates to the dipstick level, the amount of oil shrinkage or expansion from ambient air temperatures is inconsequential.

What does matter is letting the oil have enough time to fully drain from the engine’s internal parts.

…..can we all just get along ? ho ho ho merry Christmas and all of that ?

…..can we all just get along ? ho ho ho merry Christmas and all of that ?
I thought we're doing a pretty good job of getting along.
Heck, we're more civil and compassionate than the Get Along Gang!
1703278064484.jpg

I checked the part number on the dipstick, that is correct. The turbo engine has a different dipstick, mine is non-turbo.

I guess the angle I drained it on got out more than a level surface would have.

Getting more oil out with the front elevated I have noticed on my `07 Accord K24A8 also. I can get a full 5 qts. in this way.

Did my first oil change on my new to me 2020 Mazda CX5 Grand Touring. 2.5 non-turbo.

Manual and websites say 4.8 qts. Why did it take 5.5 qts. to bring the oil to the full mark on the dipstick?

I used ramps, so the front up on an incline. While the oil and filter was draining I jacked up the rear to level the car out. Nothing addition seemed to drain out while raising the rear to level.

I have been working on cars for years and aware of all the stuff, like car level, wait until all oil returns to oil pan etc.

Just surprised it took .7 qts. more than the book calls for to get to the full mark on the dipstick, anyone else experience this with the 2.5 in a CX5?

In case you're wondering Amsoil 0w-20 Sig. Series went in along with a Mazda 1wpe-14-302 filter.
It is within the realm of possibility that you were just more effective than the average in getting most of the oil drained. :cool: From the service manual, the completely dry capacity with filter is 5.7 quarts for the 2.5L Skyactiv-G.

1703278267727.jpg

It is within the realm of possibility that you were just more effective than the average in getting most of the oil drained. :cool: From the service manual, the completely dry capacity with filter is 5.7 quarts for the 2.5L Skyactiv-G.

View attachment 194324
Maybe the angle of the ramps and then while draining, I leveled it out by jacking up the back.

Thanks!

I've found that placing car on ramps allowing circa 15° pitch angle gets the oil to pool in the sump allowing for maximum extraction via dipstick tube.

You are doing it right, check oil when the motor is stone cold. I always do it after the car has sat overnight. That’s when the maximum amount of oil has drained Attempting to get an accurate level reading on a hot engine will never be accurate.

Z
That is incorrect information appertaining to Mazda (and most of the modern vehicles).
Mazda indicates that the engine needs to be warm when checking the oil straight out of owner's manual
Screenshot_20231222_180146_Chrome.jpg

That is incorrect information appertaining to Mazda (and most of the modern vehicles).
Mazda indicates that the engine needs to be warm when checking the oil straight out of owner's manual
View attachment 194384
Mazda OK,
most modern vehicles ?
I’m not convinced of that . I don’t see any of that language in my Ford, Land Rover, or Jaguar manuals. The Jaguar manual specifically states that it’s preferable to check the oil level with the engine completely cold.

So it appears one can’t make a sweeping statement one way or the other on this subject.

From my Jag manual:
IMG_8411.png

Z

Mazda OK,
most modern vehicles ?
I’m not convinced of that . I don’t see any of that language in my Ford, Land Rover, or Jaguar manuals.

From my Jag manual:
View attachment 194426

Z
Thanks for sharing! What year is the Jag?
I copied and pasted the portion of the manual of Mazda since OP's vehicle is a Mazda.
The cars that I own and have know indicate that this procedure shall be done when the engine has reached the operating temps.
Merry Christmas 🎄

Thanks for sharing! What year is the Jag?
I copied and pasted the portion of the manual of Mazda since OP's vehicle is a Mazda.
The cars that I own and have know indicate that this procedure shall be done when the engine has reached the operating temps.
Merry Christmas 🎄
The Jag manual covers 2000-2010 years. My XKR is a 2002. Photo below. The Ford manual says the same and it’s a 2014. I don’t have the Land Rover manual in front of me , but I think it covers multiple years too, from 2015-2020 IIRC.

and wishing you a merry and peaceful Christmas too.
IMG_2579.jpeg
IMG_3670.jpeg

The Jag manual covers 2000-2010 years. My XKR is a 2002. Photo below. The Ford manual says the same and it’s a 2014. I don’t have the Land Rover manual in front of me , but I think it covers multiple years too, from 2015-2020 IIRC.

and wishing you a merry and peaceful Christmas too.View attachment 194428View attachment 194429
Your XKR looks amazing! And the color, wow!

Manual and websites say 4.8 qts. Why did it take 5.5 qts. to bring the oil to the full mark on the dipstick?

I have the same issue on my Mercedes W204 C class. Manual says 5.5 litres but it takes 6.5 litres to get to the max mark. I've been changing and checking the oil for 8 years so I am in no doubt that this repeatably the case.

The only real issue is which is correct 5.5 L or 6.5 L.

5.5L gets me 25% of the way between min and max on the dipstick and as it uses no visible amount of oil between changes that's where I leave it. As long as it's above min, then that's safer than potentially overfilling.

My 2018 CX-5 manual calls for 4.5 liters. I pour in 4.5 liters and oil level only goes about 1/3 past the add mark. Once I poured in all 5 quarts and I don't think it got up to the full mark. I pour in what the book says, it's between the lines, all is well.

I’ve yet to see or hear of any manufacturer who states that the published oil capacity will translate to a specific place on the dipstick, ie at the mid point between high and low, or at the high mark, or at the low mark, etc etc.

They don’t seem to care about the millions of users with oil OCD who must have this information ;)

Z

This is going to sound weird, and long time members here know this about me, but I've never been a big fan of dipsticks, as I find on most cars I've owned it's difficult to get a good accurate reading, especially when the oil is new and a lot more clean. And then there are dipsticks like on my Corvette which go in on an angle so the reading on one side is different than the reading on the other side (I'm not kidding) I know that people will disagree with me, but I really liked the digital oil level readout on the dashboard of my ex wife's BMW 328i. Then you could always check the level at any point while you're driving.

My habit with my cars has always been to mostly ignore the dipstick reading and just put in the specified amount of oil that is in the manual (or in some cases a little bit more than that) And with cars I've owned that burn a little bit of oil, I just measure how much oil comes out when I drain it, that way I can figure out how much oil I need to add as top up on the next oil change.

Mum’s Volvo S80 T6 has a nominal sump capacity of 7.1L. Last oil change it took 8.5L to get it to touch the full mark on the dipstick.

My Fiesta ST has a nominal sump capacity of 6.1L but takes more like 6.8L.

It’s very common.

Back