Cheap, decent, longlasting for 2008 BMW X5 3.0si??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: alwayson
Because I got a good deal on a used car.

I didn't buy it for the sport performance.

I like the luxury side.

Still applies anyways. Those kinda cars always have needs, regardless..

That said, you might have a shot with Nexen branded tires...
There are no truly cheap 255/55-18 tires. Even the 'cheap' ones will perform fairly well and probably last a long time.

I do NOT need performance tires.

All this car does is driving to work, grocery store etc.

Any recs for size 255/55-18?
Have you thought about using a 235/60-18 or a 225/60-18 instead?

Last edited:
Are the stock tires run flats? If so you either have to stick with run flats or get regular tires and a spare. You can probably pick up a spare wheel cheap on ebay and just throw it in the back.

X5's tend to munch rear tires because their suspension is a screwed up design, be prepared for a new set every 20k.

Last edited:
My average speed (depending on which car and how much it can handle) falls between 20 MPH and 26 MPH. 20 MPH doesn't mean you're not asking a lot from your tires. I know I ask a lot from mine when I'm fishtailing at a green light or turning off a main road onto a side street under power or locking up all four to stop for some Crazyfool blowing a red or a stop sign. It can be be a challenge to maintain an average speed that high. For in-town driving, an average speed of 20 MPH could even be "belong in jail for that" kind of dangerous. That said, I pretty much have to assume your 20 MPH average is a calmer 20 MPH average. You would be the one who knows. You're there for it.

If you don't ask your tires for much performance you might do well to get an alignment. If your toe is off at all that can make your tire wear much worse. Ask that the rear camber be set between the highest (least negative) spec and 0.5 higher (out of spec - closer to zero) for better tire wear. If you were taking this thing out on a race track that might really screw you up, but for low speed putting around it should just help with wear and possibly give you slightly better grip in those NY winters.

I have the same exact tire size on my 2007 Acura MDX.

Recently this tire went on sale locally 3 for price($200 installed) of 4 and I almost replaced due to what we thought was a not repairable flat but tire place came through.

Avid ENVigor V

Another one tire place stated was okay was HTR Sport HP

Agreed. What do you need a CAR like that for if cheap tires are part of the thinking? How 'bout a Subie instead? Not exactly cheap put every bit as good at "cheap tire" speeds and a lot cheaper to mantain.

I thought this forum was all about facts and research.

Fact is that the cheapest tires on Tire Rack have BETTER specs (speed rating etc.) than my OEM tires at the same 109 load rating.

The only difference is that they are not run-flats

Last edited:

Fact is that the cheapest tires on Tire Rack have BETTER specs (speed rating etc.) than my OEM tires at the same 109 load rating.

Well, did you see mine?

All three (Mastercraft, Nexen, Dunlop) would do just fine for your X, and all would be under 160, not counting shipping.

I've actually seen a a few X5s with Nexens on them....

Everyone makes a "gumball" tire that sticks pretty good and makes good specs. It'll just wear out fast.

If you drive a few thousand miles a year, this could be the tire for you, as its age-hardening will rival its treadwear so after six years you'll have a bald, hard tire.

Its also about making sound decisions and not trying to save a buck on a showy vehicle. Are you going to go without rft tires?

Speed rating is only one aspect, as is load (though they are most critical). Junk tires can have similar or better ratings than higher end ones, so you have to look at the big picture.

If you want to trust your safety to some low-bid third world product, be my guest.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
alwayson said:
If you want to trust your safety to some low-bid third world product, be my guest.

There are very few if any low bid third world tires in this size. I happen to own the "high end" tires(Michelin) in this size and have driven the low end in price (Dunlop Signature). The Dunlops are roughly 50% less in price but likely 75-80% of performance.

I have still yet to see personally any evidence of "third-world" produced tires having a high failure rate.

I think the cheapest out there is a Nankang tire which is made in Taiwan. Kumho though is a trusty name which decent performing tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back