Petlas Tires?

Any experience with them? I need Summer tires in an odd size, 185/60r14, that is hard to find in the US. This is for our '74 BMW that has alloy wheels from a later BMW. Plenty of them in Europe, but not here and I am avoiding the low end, off brands that are available in that size. Interestingly you can get a few extreme/max extreme performance Summer tires in that size, but I don't want them as I am trying to keep close to the spirit of originality.

I came across Petlas which offers what appears to be a non a/s tire in that size and are available here. First I have heard of Petlas, and I actually do some business in Turkey, but they appear to be a serious manufacturer in the car market, but also ag and aviation tires.

Petlas Imperium

Had a customer who put Petlas winter tyres on her Tucson (17" IIRC). They only lasted one winter but then we had very little snow or frost so they were a bit out of their league. That said, most winter tyres last at least 2 winters like that, the better ones 3 or 4.

Since you're probably only driving the car in conditions where an extreme performance tire is safe to use, there is no problem in using them :)

Or you can buy from Europe. There are some European eBay sellers that ship to the US with eBay's global shipping program.
Michelin Energy Saver Plus
Goodyear EfficientGrip
Continental UltraContact
Thanks, like the Conti. I may go that route if I can get over tires:eek: from eBay.

The reason I do not want the extreme/max such as the Direzza, Proxes or the Micehlin one, is they are so far beyond what an '02 would have had in the 70's and I want to keep the period driving experience as much as I can...I have a problem that way.

Thanks, like the Conti. I may go that route if I can get over tires:eek: from eBay.

The reason I do not want the extreme/max such as the Direzza, Proxes or the Micehlin one, is they are so far beyond what an '02 would have had in the 70's and I want to keep the period driving experience as much as I can...I have a problem that way.

There are reputable sellers on eBay. For example, Tire Rack, DT/DTD, and Simpletire are on that site :)

So if you like Conti, get those Contis.

Last edited:
Back