All Weather Tires for Crosstrek?

I asked this some time ago in another thread, but didn't get much feedback, so I'm starting a new thread.

Before winter comes, I want to ditch the OEM Falkens and install something that will handle west Michigan winters, but that can also make it through the Summer without quickly melting away. No spirited driving.

Size is 225/55/18. I only put on about 4k miles a year so treadlife isn't important. Winter capabilities aside, it'd be nice if the tires weren't noisy. No off-roading.

Currently looking at Nokian WRG4, Bridgestone Weatherpeak, and maybe General 365AW. Is there anything better? Any new all-weather tires coming out in the next few months? Wish Conti would offer something in the US, aside from the low-end Generals...

Thoughts?

I did look at CC2, but I just can't get convinced their tread pattern is a good recipe for snow and ice, alas, I have not been able to find any test results comparing their performance to the other three tires I mentioned, so I may be wrong. I've also read the CC2 is rather noisy.

I did look at CC2, but I just can't get convinced their tread pattern is a good recipe for snow and ice, alas, I have not been able to find any test results comparing their performance to the other three tires I mentioned, so I may be wrong. I've also read the CC2 is rather noisy.
It's amazing in the snow, just like snow tires IMHO. The noise is there, not too much but that depends on your standard. I'm willing to trade noise for the other benefits.

Why not get a set of budget winters and something that is actually enjoyable for summer?
The difference in cost can not be that great when comparing to CC2. Especially if you take wear into account.

Yeah, but they haven't tested any of the winter capabilities, which is the most important part in my case.
Are there many steep hills in Michigan that you drive on? Or are you concerned about deep snow? The best tire won't help if you get high centered going out after a 2 footer. Bigger diameter rubber or a lift kit will help that.

@Astro14 really likes the WRG4's on his Tundra in Colorado(?) I think he's had a few sets of them on different cars as well. Rotations on them are important especially the first one at 4k miles.

@Astro14 really likes the WRG4's on his Tundra in Colorado(?) I think he's had a few sets of them on different cars as well. Rotations on them are important especially the first one at 4k miles.
Pretty close… I am a Nokian fan.

WRG4 currently on the 2004 XC90 (in Boston)
WRG4 currently on the 2002 V70XC (in VB)

WRG3 on the Tundra for quite a while. Bought the truck in Colorado. Hated the OEM Bridgestone Alenza in the snow. Took them off at 15,000 miles. It has Michelin LTX on it now, because I couldn’t find Nokian locally three years ago when I wore the WRG3 out.

I’ve had many sets of Hakkapelliittas over the years. All truly great in the snow. My son has Hakkapelliittas on his 2001 V70 in Vermont.

But I got a good deal on Continental Viking Contact 7s last week, so the XC90 will be getting those. The Nokian options for that car weren’t in stock, so…

4k/year and no spirited driving, tires will age out. Just the nature of the beast.

I didn't like my WRG-somethings but that was long ago. New ones probably are way better. That said, I thought my RT43's did ok in snow when new. Lots of siping to deal with ice, which is IMO pretty important. Thing is, I'm not sure how a 5 year old tire, as it hardens up, will do with ice. My thinking being, all seasons aren't going to lose out on the critical first-half of tread all that quickly, and modern a/s might hold their own, as long as deep snow isn't an issue.

But in this case, I might opt for the WRG4's. Don't know enough about the General option.

I liked the WRG2 SUV on the 2013 outback. They did better in light snow at 3/32 than the stock tires new.

Since its low mileage the WRG4 seem a top contender.

I put CC2's on my 2018 Forester. Very pleased with them in Iowa snow and ice.
My fuel mileage dropped some, but 4000 miles per year should not be much of a concern for you.

4k/year and no spirited driving, tires will age out. Just the nature of the beast.

I didn't like my WRG-somethings but that was long ago. New ones probably are way better. That said, I thought my RT43's did ok in snow when new. Lots of siping to deal with ice, which is IMO pretty important. Thing is, I'm not sure how a 5 year old tire, as it hardens up, will do with ice. My thinking being, all seasons aren't going to lose out on the critical first-half of tread all that quickly, and modern a/s might hold their own, as long as deep snow isn't an issue.

But in this case, I might opt for the WRG4's. Don't know enough about the General option.
I thought you previously had Nokian eNTYREs before and not WRG4s?

Back