Changing spark plugs - do I need Anti Seize?

Ya don't hafta slather it all over the plug threads... Just a little wisp across one side.
I also squirt a little WD-40 down the plug hole to clean the threads.
If I can't spin 'em in all the way by hand, something's wrong.
And I love my 3/8" Snap-On flex head torque wrench...

Oh yeah, my cars last a looooong time.

Yes use anti seize. The manufacturers aren’t the one removing the plugs. You would not believe how seized the ones in my Escape were yeah they had 170,000 on them but still I had to use a 18 inch 1/2 drive ratchet with an adapter to 3/8 and a extension to get them broke loose. They were so tight. I applied a nice coating of anti seize to each one. At work we have to use it too. Silver stuff or copper doesn’t matter for that usually.

ROLMAO, it funny most all professional mechanic or Auto Technicians that have changed dozens of spark plugs all have war story's of stuck plugs and screwed up threads in the cylinder head and most everyone of those professionals live by using anti seize when installing a fresh set of spark plugs. The DIY world, that is let me spell it out DO-IT-YOURSELFers run to the internet to find that answer they want to believe in.

I posted once and it got deleted the main reason spark plug companies are against ant seize is more that DIY don't really know how to use it and caused more problems using it on their spark plugs and blaming problem with the spark plug.
Really some of go to a SEMA show and talk to a few spark plug reps and get in the joke about DIY and anti seize.
But hey DIY run to the internet I bet wiki has the answer for you! LOL

Please notice my current change of spark plugs in my 2018 2.5 Skyactiv engine. Notice the amount and the location of the anti seize!
After changing likely over a thousand or more spark plugs I have NEVER had one destroy a thread or get stuck in a thread EVER!!!!!!!!

I some of you don't want to use it fine its your engine don't take the advise from some of that know better!

Attachments

• IMG_20210728_105454684_resize.jpg
    IMG_20210728_105454684_resize.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20210728_105836879_resize.jpg
    IMG_20210728_105836879_resize.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20210728_105840049_resize.jpg
    IMG_20210728_105840049_resize.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 77
Honda service info, even today, still advises a small amount of anti-seize. But they are the only ones I am aware of.
did Honda ever cast an iron head? The reason I use it is if I come across a difficult extraction & it's aluminum threaded boss.
Then it's copper-based anti-seize, on the threads many millimeters away from the firing end. A few pin head's worth.
Of course these days the threaded spark plug end looks like a 4" bolt so I guess Ford & others have lost their collective minds......... ???
The worst thing I ever did was add some engine oil as anti-seize. It carboned up bad. Very lucky it came out but there was a lot of to & fro to extract. Never engine oil on any threads again. Lesson learned. : l
Never struggled with an NGK or Denso plug either. Strange.

After the amount of rust on the threads, and the washers almost unscrewing and falling into motor/sparkplug cavity while taking the plug out, i always use a little dab of anti-seize. (Always have, but the elantra im assuming were on original plugs) It can not hurt, well it can if you over do the A/S, and over TQ the plugs.

A little goes along way.

Attachments

• IMG_1674.jpeg
    IMG_1674.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 20
One guy i seen do it just puts a bit of motor oil on the last few threads of the plug. That wont work for long term antisiezing will it?

I usually use a little dab and then torque up to spec.

Except for when the time comes to do plugs on my plug spitter 5400. That's not getting any in hopes that it won't eject all of the plugs.

I always use it. It takes very little though. Problems if you slather it on and any gets on the insulator.
Yes, I make sure that it doesn't get on the insulator, in doing so no problems to report. Some people slap in like they're painting a house with the stuff, then complain how the product causes problems.

Back