Can I really go 15,000 miles before an oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.

la9

I started using Mobile 1 synthetic that has the 15,000 mile rating on it because I drive a lot of miles and it keeps me from changing the oil all the time.

Makes me nervous trying to go that long so I thought I'd ask some opinions.

Thinking about draining it at 10,000 miles and having it tested.

Quote:

Thinking about draining it at 10,000 miles and having it tested.

That's the best way to decide, because not every engine or every driving situation would allow you to push it to 15k.

There's massive variance from one engine to the next on how far you can run an oil.

take 2 different engines. both 2.0L 4 cylinder engines. engine A is 260HP, engine B is 130HP. Engine "A" will tear up oil WAY faster than engine "B."

In many situations, like "long-drain" oils, the oil itself holds up (TBN, viscosity, and flashpoint)... but if the engine isn't in pristine shape to begin with, the level of insolubles will rise too quickly to run really extended drains. This is a problem I face with my isuzu engine, which could probably run 10,000 mile drain intervals on GC, if it weren't for all the blow-by that raises insolubles so quickly.

Another issue is dirt ingress, if you have a lot of airborn dust/dirt in your region, then long-drains may be out of the question.

A UOA can answer these questions.

Be sure to read all the exceptions that Mobil 1 lists in their warranty.

"For vehicles covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual. Follow your owner's manual if the vehicle is operated in any of the following severe services: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions."

It's a 2004 cavalier with an ecotech 2.2litre 4 cylinder engine. I drive 110 mostly highway miles 5 to 6 days a week.

I am using the mobil 1 right now.

I don't have an oil life sensor or I would just go by that

Trying 10,000 miles followed by oil analysis before going that next step sounds like a great idea. You driving conditions are ideal for long OCIs and there don't seem to be any indications of an ecotech being particularly hard on oil. You are probably already out of warranty, so that isn't an issue.

Quote:

It's a 2004 cavalier with an ecotech 2.2litre 4 cylinder engine. I drive 110 mostly highway miles 5 to 6 days a week.

I am using the mobil 1 right now.

How many miles do you have on the Ecotec so far? Any problems with it? How do you like it?
coffeetime.gif

I'd run it to 7500 miles and then have it tested and look at the total base number. Make sure you tell Blackstone that you want it tested for TBN. I've never seen any astonishing low wear numbers out of Mobil 1 for the premium price you have to pay for it.

I think the main problems with running long OCI's like 15K are the oil could sludge or suffer from additive depletion, or become contaminated from dust, condensation, coolant, or fuel.

Mobil 1 EP shouldn't sludge in you engine and the additive pack might last 15K.

If you drive 110 highway miles 5 to 6 days per week, then moisture and fuel dilution shouldn't be a problem. [ as long as the engine is healthy and in tune ]

Dust is likely your main problem so the air filter and air filter housing and plumbing probably are most important. Frequent air filter changes with the right air filter and inspection of the plumbing for leaks should help.

But as most people have already posted the only way to be certain is to test the oil.

Why not buy a synthetic on sale and stock up?

If the oil costs between $1.00 / qt and $3.00 / qt on sale/ after rebate instead of $6.xx / qt like Mobil 1 EP...then you can change every 7500 miles and save the $20 cost of oil analysis.

There is a UOA in the UOA section of a person who ran Amsoil HDD 5W-30 to a full 25,000 miles of city and highway driving in a 2003 Cavalier Ecotec, and the results were pretty good. Search for 'Cavalier' in the UOA section. In general, Ecotecs seem very easy on oil, so you shouldn't have any problems......

Quote:

How many miles do you have on the Ecotec so far? Any problems with it? How do you like it?

I've put 60,000 miles on it so far and like it very well. It has plenty of power for the highway and passing situations, it is a 5 speed, and I still get 35 - 37 mpg. I don't see how you could go wrong with one.

Quote:

Be sure to read all the exceptions that Mobil 1 lists in their warranty.

"For vehicles covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual. Follow your owner's manual if the vehicle is operated in any of the following severe services: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions."

In these situations, you definitely want to use oil analysis as your guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back