The main reason I change oil at 3000 miles...sludge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed; there are other very good lubes with excellent add-packs for cleaning.

Pablo, which of the Amsoil products have both esters and ANs, versus only esters? I must confess my ignorance in that I simply don't understand their line-up very well.
Amsoil SS uses group V. As to what particular group V no one knows. The OE, Hybrid/High Mileage products are budget friendly products for mainstream. Those are likely just purchased additive packages.

48:45 min mark

Last edited:
I think the OP needs an engine hour meter. I suspect his 3K OCI is probably equivalent to 200-250 Engine Hours, which is closer to a 5-6K interval for the average driver who sees a lot of city driving.

For 3.5 Ford Ecoboost engines with a history of timing issues, a 5-6K interval is probably about right.
F150s and Expeditions/Navigators have engine hour and idle timers in the IC already.

I think the OP needs an engine hour meter. I suspect his 3K OCI is probably equivalent to 200-250 Engine Hours, which is closer to a 5-6K interval for the average driver who sees a lot of city driving.

For 3.5 Ford Ecoboost engines with a history of timing issues, a 5-6K interval is probably about right.
100% - my suspicion is the same and IF he is idling an Ecoboost for any length of time, the fuel dilution will kill both the OCI and the engine if not managed.

100% - my suspicion is the same and IF he is idling an Ecoboost for any length of time, the fuel dilution will kill both the OCI and the engine if not managed.
The fleet data Astro mentioned are ~12,000 F150s operating severe service with hundreds of hours of idle time, plus 15-20k OCIs, and fuel dilution is still coming in <5% which is a condemnation point for the oil. Zero hard parts failures.

If it works for this fleet in hot, sandy off-road conditions with no problems over thousands of vehicles, it’s an easy extrapolation to say it’s at least worth a shot with easy on-road service with low stress.

Well, I assumed the OP was committed to WM oils, as he clearly stated.

And I meant what I wrote, ANY synthetic (good!) oil would better this situation, IMHO. Unless he has some mechanical issues which are causing sludge in 3K.
In all honesty and neutrality, IMO the OP has done loads and loads of oil changes and loads and loads of UOAs. Taken as a whole, OP should have proven to himself that his goal of WM oils is a financial risk.

This would justify stepping up to Amsoil, or HPL, or maybe even Redline to see which oil is able to handle the environmental and operation stress of his application. OP’s already shown he’s brand agnostic, so “for example” running 3 OCIs on Pablo’s recommendation, and 3 OCIs on Dave’s recommendation, etc. (hopefully in each change increasing the operating distance/time slightly) would give him actual data to make a logical decision. With such short OCIs, “wear” metals will likely never be a concern, and the oil staying in grade and having some reserve TBN and low oxidation delta should be primary goals of UOA analysis.

After using that data to decide which oil brand he wishes to use, he could then incrementally sample in-service to find his operating ceiling. At least, that’s what would happen if this issue were being approached logically and not emotionally.

If it works for this fleet in hot, sandy off-road conditions with no problems over thousands of vehicles, it’s an easy extrapolation to say it’s at least worth a shot with easy on-road service with low stress.
I wouldn’t go that far. Each use case can expose different issues. When you push the OCI limits to that extent, you’ve clearly outlined that it may be working in that situation…but I wouldn’t assume it’ll work everywhere else.

I moved away from the 3K oil change in 2007. My Corolla went 4-5K between changes on whatever conventional 5w-30 was on sale. I’m more likely to change based in time than miles now that I’m no longer commuting.

For my Scion with a history of extreme oil consumption I’m never letting it go more than 3K even with a synthetic. I don’t want my oil control rings and drainback holes clogging up again. And at the first sign of oil burning it’s getting a new piston soak.

I wouldn’t go that far. Each use case can expose different issues. When you push the OCI limits to that extent, you’ve clearly outlined that it may be working in that situation…but I wouldn’t assume it’ll work everywhere else.
Im saying it’s worth a shot. Not necessarily at the 15-20k distance right off the bat; but certainly at longer than 3k OCI. Let the data dictate the decisions.

The fleet data Astro mentioned are ~12,000 F150s operating severe service with hundreds of hours of idle time, plus 15-20k OCIs, and fuel dilution is still coming in <5% which is a condemnation point for the oil. Zero hard parts failures.

OK; except that I was not responding to Astro's post. I would not pretend to know how Astro's data/use case compares to the OP and since the OP appears to be a seagull poster, we will likely never have the true story.

This has a lot to do with the specific engine and the oxidative stability of the oil (not seen on a $30 spectrographic analysis). There is no way my old 1MZ-FE could have made it to 450,000 miles on cheap oil and long OCIs. For that car it’s nothing but a high quality oil with a demanding approval.

On the other hand my equally old 1NZ-FE has spotless internals on “normal” synthetic oil with 10,000 mile OCIs. A completely different engine.

It’s not as simple as 3,000 mile OCIs.

Would you consider the Dexos 1 Gen 3 approval to be sufficiently demanding approval.

It’s better than just an API donut on its own, but compared to several of the other manufacturer oil specs, it’s fairly lackluster.
So if you wanted a high bar manufacturer approval which one would look for (Besides the ACEA, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, VW approvals)?

So if you wanted a high bar manufacturer approval which one would look for (Besides the ACEA, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, VW approvals)?
What does approval or certification does your manufacturer recommend? That’s the starting point to figure out where else you can go. Then, find an oil from a good brand (not Triax) that carries your manufacturer’s recommendation and also one (or more) of the European mfr requirements. If you’re talking gas engine, I think the MB and Porsche certifications are generally some of the best-regarded “upgrades” here, since they have actual performance requirements rather than just bench tests.

For a generic example, look at the back of M1 FS 0w40 for an idea.

With the exception of European specifications, what US based ones are better than D1G3? Not typical Ford or Mopar ones. What is left?
Yes, that was my question too.

We know API SP is a very low bar kind of standard.

The only US standard that makes sence to look for is the Dexos 1 Gen 3, but it's not very demanding.

The disadvantage with using an oil that passes the ACEA A3/B4 or C3 or Mercedes Benz standards is that none of those come in a high mileage oil which conditions oil seals to help prevent leaks.

Yes, that was my question too.

We know API SP is a very low bar kind of standard.

The only US standard that makes sence to look for is the Dexos 1 Gen 3, but it's not very demanding.

The disadvantage with using an oil that passes the ACEA A3/B4 or C3 or Mercedes Benz standards is that none of those come in a high mileage oil which conditions oil seals to help prevent leaks.
Agree; most, if not all, of the Ford and Mopar specifications are API Sx and ILSAC GF-x which is every oil on the shelf for the most part.

But (for what it is worth), if you compare D1G3 to D1G2 or API you have a general representation of differences. The tests that are conducted are listed on the Lubrizol site.

I am running M1 ESP 0W-30 C3 in my Ford and honestly, I have never had much luck with HM oils anyway so that is not a showstopper. I would much rather have the more stringent test criteria of the European oils.

Dexos1[1].jpg

Agree; most, if not all, of the Ford and Mopar specifications are API Sx and ILSAC GF-x which is every oil on the shelf for the most part.

But (for what it is worth), if you compare D1G3 to D1G2 or API you have a general representation of differences. The tests that are conducted are listed on the Lubrizol site.

I am running M1 ESP 0W-30 C3 in my Ford and honestly, I have never had much luck with HM oils anyway so that is not a showstopper. I would much rather have the more stringent test criteria of the European oils.

View attachment 201222
We are at Dexos 2 now? Aren't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back