78 Malibu in service as rural mail car

Dad had a ‘78 wagon basically the same colour as the front of that car. Nothing but problems with it.
Would love to know how many/what engines and trannies it has had in it.

A cousin in law of mine had a 250 mile round trip rural mail delivery route where he would drop the mail off at several tiny Montana post offices. He drove a early nineties 2V Cummins Dodge pickup. He retired it after the second time it was rolled during a blizzard with over a million miles on the clock. It had a NV4500 replaced but he told me he never had the engine open for any reason.

From the pictures it only looked a bit better than that Malibu when he quit driving it.

Around here RHD Jeep Wranglers are very common, as winter in a rural route here can be very brutal.

Very cool what he built, and kept running. That would be the summer car here!!

Glad to hear the Jeep is still available.
Years ago I "heard" that RHD Subarus were no longer being brough into the US for Post Office use.

Were RHD vehicles ever a thing in Canada?

The fill in delivery who comes on Friday and weekends has a loud muffler. You can hear it for miles and making all the stops. If they can't find a native RHD model they usually rig up some pedal and steering contraption. I'm amazed their auto trans last so long.

Current reg driver ahs some sort of Buick. Made in China?

The fill in delivery who comes on Friday and weekends has a loud muffler. You can hear it for miles and making all the stops. If they can't find a native RHD model they usually rig up some pedal and steering contraption. I'm amazed their auto trans last so long.

Current reg driver ahs some sort of Buick. Made in China?
My regular guy in his LLV (Guess I'm a city slicker) I can hear from his Iron Duke timing gears, ineffective muffler, and thrashy starter. There aren't many 1988 Grand Ams left on the road or they'd sound about the same. ;)

Glad to hear the Jeep is still available.
Years ago I "heard" that RHD Subarus were no longer being brough into the US for Post Office use.

Were RHD vehicles ever a thing in Canada?
I have seen a local Canada Post early 2000s Honda CRV. Possibly a couple of them or I keep seeing the same one.

My regular guy in his LLV (Guess I'm a city slicker) I can hear from his Iron Duke timing gears, ineffective muffler, and thrashy starter. There aren't many 1988 Grand Ams left on the road or they'd sound about the same. ;)

Many around my area leak oil like crazy too. Typical of all things jasper

That Malibu is from just about the lowest point in the history of Detroit. I'm pretty sure when it rolled off the showroom floor that it would have been smoked by just about any Hyundai rolling down the the road today.

A cousin in law of mine had a 250 mile round trip rural mail delivery route where he would drop the mail off at several tiny Montana post offices. He drove a early nineties 2V Cummins Dodge pickup. He retired it after the second time it was rolled during a blizzard with over a million miles on the clock. It had a NV4500 replaced but he told me he never had the engine open for any reason.

From the pictures it only looked a bit better than that Malibu when he quit driving it.
My great grandfather carried the mail to small post offices in southern Saskatchewan in the very early 1900s. One day he was determined to head out into a blizzard. The town cop tried to stop him by holding onto the end of the reins of his team, so my great grandfather whipped out his knife and cut off the ends of the reins leaving the cop holding only the ends of the reins. And took off into the storm.

When he came to town later the town cop made him promise he wouldn't carry that knife when he came to town anymore. When he came to town the next time he wasn't carrying the knife, he was dragging it on a string.

My wife says he was probably more fun to hear about than to live with.

Back