Ford 6F35 Torque Converter

Merry Christmas everyone!

I searched but I didn’t see anything on this topic for this transmission.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that my transmission was whining when shifting gears and on startup. I also had some shuttering while driving up hill. I figured it was the torque converter and I added about half a bottle of Lucas Transmission fix. It did absolutely nothing. I took it to a transmission shop and the owner said that it needs a new converter and it would need a new filter (which requires opening the case to replace) and he would reseal everything. I agreed and picked up the car after the repairs earlier this week. He said that inside of the transmission looked good and wasn’t as bad as he thought it would be, possibly because I brought it in relatively early.

After a few hundred miles, I must say it is shifting nicely and I haven’t had any issues. The shutter is gone and it pulls hard like when it was new.

Question: is there anything I can do preemptively to prevent failure of the torque converter? Possibly a transmission fluid conditioner or LubeGard?

I typically change my transmission fluid every 15k miles with Motorcraft Mercon LV. The last time I changed it, I used Valvoline MaxLife, which I must say, was thicker than Mercon LV. I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it.

You used Motorcraft fluid all it's life and it was fine. You switched fluids and after this it started acting up ?

You used Motorcraft fluid all it's life and it was fine. You switched fluids and after this it started acting up ?
Pretty much. I don’t know if this was just a coincidence that it gave up after the switch or if it was a result. Before the last drain and fill at 195k, it seemed fine except for the occasional hard shift between 1-2 and 2-3. This is the first time that I used anything other than a Motorcraft transmission fluid. I’m pretty bummed because I was hoping to get at least 300k before any major repairs. Before this, I have only spent about $300 in repairs since I bought it new in early 2015.

except for the occasional hard shift between 1-2 and 2-3
It could be coincidence, I acknowledge. That shift behavior you describe is pretty normal for that 6F35 transmission. Put it in Sport mode, it won't happen or the right amount of (heavier) throttle avoids it too. It seems to be just a programming issue, not mechanical.

Next fluid change, I would go back to Mercon LV. If you notice any shudder, you can try Lubegard Shudder Fixx. That red molasses stuff from Lucas is for band-aiding worn out clutches and internal seal leaks by making the fluid much thicker. It's basically the same as STP with dye added and not something you should put in anything but a dead transmission you need to keep limping along for a short while.

We have a 2017 Explorer with the 6F35 transmission. There was a recall in early 2021, 20B27 B, release 117.01 to re-flash the transmission to extend the life of the torque convertor. I believe they extended the warranty on the torque convertor if you had this re-flash done. We had it done at 68,000 miles, now at 92,000 miles and it still shifts fine. I've only used Mercon LV and Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF, which is licensed by Ford. Unfortunately Castrol seems to have stopped it's production of this ATF as well as the Dexron VI version which was also licensed by Ford for Mercon LV and replaced it with an universal ATF/CVT fluid not Ford or GM licensed. It's back to Mercon LV for me.

We have a 2017 Explorer with the 6F35 transmission. There was a recall in early 2021, 20B27 B, release 117.01 to re-flash the transmission to extend the life of the torque convertor. I believe they extended the warranty on the torque convertor if you had this re-flash done. We had it done at 68,000 miles, now at 92,000 miles and it still shifts fine. I've only used Mercon LV and Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF, which is licensed by Ford. Unfortunately Castrol seems to have stopped it's production of this ATF as well as the Dexron VI version which was also licensed by Ford for Mercon LV and replaced it with an universal ATF/CVT fluid not Ford or GM licensed. It's back to Mercon LV for me.
I’m not aware of a TSB for this car but I’ll look into it. Thanks.

I would doubt the max life had anything to do with the issues but who knows. If it were mine I would just motor on until your next fluid change, then add LG red or platinum.

Question: is there anything I can do preemptively to prevent failure of the torque converter?
Yes, there is. I've donne it on three Hyundai 6-speed transmissions, with excellent results. Here it is:

Go to NAPA or Amazon and get yourslelf 5 gallons or so of Castrol TES668 ATF. Do three drains and fills. I don't knownhow much you can drain and fill every time, so I'm using the Hyundais as an example here. After you do your 3rd fill, adjust the ATF level and add 3oz. pet quart of Lubegard Platinum ATF protectant. So if you transmission holds 8 quarts of fluid, you add 24oz of Lubegard. If you can trigger a re-learb after that it would be a bonus. Shift should become butter smooth and you should be trouble free for a long time. TES668 is an industrial strength ATF blended with the latest and greatest ATF chemistry. It's the bee's knees so to speak. For now, it really doesn't get get any better than this ATF. Everything else out thete is inferior to it for step shift automatics. Oh, and Lubegard Platinum won't cause your transmission to slip, no matter what you read. I found that I get optimal results even in the crappiest transmissions at 3oz. per quart of ATF. Stay away from Lucas products, they don't do anything beside draining your wallet.

TES 668 rated fluids are excellent transmission fluids, but it's not equivalent to Mercon LV.
The slight bump in operating temperature viscosity is worth the additional shear stability you get IMHO. I've used it in place of SP-IV-M fluid, which is LV fluid as well. It worked out well.

Sure, when I did this for the first time, I was thinking that what if I do all this work and it doesn't work out well? But I could see an improvement immediately after the first drain and fill. Also, keep in mind that the Hyundai transmissions I use this fluid in can reach up to 225F ATF temeprature if you drive in the summer heat for a long time or you tow. When towing, they can get even hotter than that. The factory fluis and SP-IV-M beaks down pretty fast in these.

The slight bump in operating temperature viscosity is worth the additional shear stability you get IMHO. I've used it in place of SP-IV-M fluid, which is LV fluid as well. It worked out well.

Sure, when I did this for the first time, I was thinking that what if I do all this work and it doesn't work out well? But I could see an improvement immediately after the first drain and fill. Also, keep in mind that the Hyundai transmissions I use this fluid in can reach up to 225F ATF temeprature if you drive in the summer heat for a long time or you tow. When towing, they can get even hotter than that. The factory fluis and SP-IV-M beaks down pretty fast in these.
You’ve got quite a few tall tales there. Let’s start small and work upwards. You say:

1. “TES668 is an industrial strength ATF blended with the latest and greatest ATF chemistry. It's the bee's knees so to speak. For now, it really doesn't get get any better than this ATF.“ But then you need to dose the latest and greatest ATF chemistry with an unlicensed, unapproved additive, and at a 200% higher dose than the additive manufacturer recommends?? See attached pic of Lubegard page for reference.

2. “Lubegard Platinum won't cause your transmission to slip, no matter what you read. I found that I get optimal results even in the crappiest transmissions at 3oz. per quart of ATF.” @MolaKule, who is an actual lubricant formulator, has explicitly said on this forum he would not recommend Lubegard Platinum because there is no such thing as a “universal conversion additive”, plus because of the type and quantity of friction modifiers Platinum uses.
Post in thread 'Lubegard Platinum Dosage'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/lubegard-platinum-dosage.316515/post-5867416

3. “The slight bump in operating temperature viscosity is worth the additional shear stability you get IMHO.“ Wrong again, and directly contradicted by facts shared by MolaKule:
Post in thread 'MAXLIFE ATF'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/maxlife-atf.333798/post-5568463

OP, I’d highly recommend skipping any “advice” telling you to use TES-668, or Lubegard Platinum in your 6F35. There are plenty of good fluids that are actually specced for use in your trans, and even the “plain” Motorcraft LV is a pretty well-formulated fluid,

Attachments

• IMG_2783.jpeg
    IMG_2783.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
You’ve got quite a few tall tales there.
I posted my practical experience, not an opinion. Though, without test results and scientific data, it's not far from it, and I get that.

The Lubegard Platinum is by no means necessary with TES668, however, it makes shifts buttery smooth in a transmission that's otherwise outdated and as close tod junk as it gets. It went from feeling like it's about to explode when downshifting from 6th to 4th and then back to 5th under heavy acceleration to feeling completely normal and uneventful. OP wanted to know what he could do to get more life out of his transmission. I shared my practical experience. If you have something similar to share, please do. Keep in mind that if you want to get some unusual results abd break the norm, sometimes, you have to do some unusual things.

As a sidenote: I doubt anyone outside of ILI knows what's in Lubegard Platinum, especially their friction modification chemistry. I just know it works. I also know it helps a great deal with crappy torque convertors.

P.S. Merry Christmas 🎄

I posted my practical experience, not an opinion. The Lubegard Platinum is by no means necessary with TES668, however, it makes shifts buttery smooth in a transmission that's otherwise outdated and as close tod junk as it gets. It went from feeling like it's about to explode when downshifting from 6th to 4th and then back to 5th under heavy acceleration to feeling completely normal and uneventful. OP wanted to know what he could do to get more life out of his transmission. I shared my practical experience. If you have something similar to share, please do. Keep in mind that if you want to get some unusual results abd break the norm, sometimes, you have to do some unusual things.

As a sidenote: I doubt anyone outside of ILI knows what's in Lubegard Platinum, especially their friction modification chemistry. I just know it works. I also know it helps a great deal with crappy torque convertors.
Just because you got lucky doesn’t mean you should be cavalier with other people’s equipment.

I did share my experience in the transmission forum, as a matter of fact with the same 6F35 as the OP has. I used an approved replacement fluid many years ago (Amsoil ATL) and the trans is still working well today with no problems or repairs. The links I shared regarding your post stand on their own, IMO.

I used an approved replacement fluid many years ago (Amsoil ATL) and the trans is still working well today with no problems or repairs.
AMSOIL ATL, while very good ATF, doesn't have a single OEM approval. AMSOIL blends it and publishes the compatibility based on information ontained from their additive supplier. As such, just because you gor lucky, doesn't mean someone else will. Of course, if you know enough how ATFs are formulated today, then you know that the above statement is complete rubish.

I'm not here tonconvince anyone of anything. I just shared my experience, and made a suggestion. Since none of the opinions here are backed by solid scientific data, not a single one is more valid than another. Then again, I got bigger problems to worry about, like getting old. Getting old sucks, I tell ya.

I posted my practical experience, not an opinion. Though, without test results and scientific data, it's not far from it, and I get that.

The Lubegard Platinum is by no means necessary with TES668, however, it makes shifts buttery smooth in a transmission that's otherwise outdated and as close tod junk as it gets. It went from feeling like it's about to explode when downshifting from 6th to 4th and then back to 5th under heavy acceleration to feeling completely normal and uneventful. OP wanted to know what he could do to get more life out of his transmission. I shared my practical experience. If you have something similar to share, please do. Keep in mind that if you want to get some unusual results abd break the norm, sometimes, you have to do some unusual things.

P.S. Merry Christmas 🎄
Lubegard contains esters derived from rapeseed oil.

Lubegard contains esters derived from rapeseed oil.
That's a long way from knowing how it's made and how it works. Personally, I'm not that interested to know. I'm juat glad it does. Even if I had had access to the complete formulation data, it would still be far and beyond my level of understanding.

Their markeing materials mention LXE esters, which I assume is what you're refering to, and Synergol. They are very vague about how Synergol works, but it must be a key component since they botheted to trademark it.

My personal opinion is that Lubegard Platinum is a concentrated version of their ATF. Otherwise, it would wreck havock if used in the dossage I used it in. I don't experience transmission slip, or any kind of odd shifting behavior. And I didn't start with a high dose, or even Platinum to begin with. This wasn't a one and done type of deal for me I started out with LG Red, and got here. Anyway, it's a good product. However, more important than Lubegard, is beefing up your ATF, especially in an older transmission.

Back