Ford 6F35 Torque Converter

Okay, what's in it?

Then please set me straight.

If you'd be so kind and share data about Lubegard Platinum, and what's in it, that would be great. Thank you!
You said, "My personal opinion is that Lubegard Platinum is a concentrated version of their ATF." It is not a concentrated version of any ATF.

It is a mixture of the following

A Group III carrier oil, an anti-oxidant, LXE ester (2-octyldodecylester), a TMP ester, a multi-functional metal inhibitor, and friction modifiers.

You said, "My personal opinion is that Lubegard Platinum is a concentrated version of their ATF." It is not a concentrated version of any ATF.

It is a mixture of the following

A Group III carrier oil, an anti-oxidant, LXE ester (2-octyldodecylester), a TMP ester, a multi-functional metal inhibitor, and friction modifiers.
Thank you for the information. That Lubegard Platinum ATF Protectant is some good stuff, isn't it? I'm still amazed of how well it works.

Thank you for the information. That Lubegard Platinum ATF Protectant is some good stuff, isn't it? I'm still amazed of how well it works.
🙀

MolaKule said:
Platinum is a highly friction modified additive and as SubieRubyRoo stated it was used in the past as a "conversion" fluid when there were only a few major ATF choices. I strongly urge against its usage.

I've heard of the opinion to not use Platinum, although Im not sure there's any real world issues doing so. Of course if you overdose it I could see that. Although I fully respect and appreciate expert opinion on the matter.

I've used it for probably 200,000 combined miles if not more, with no ill effects. LG Red seems to be More accepted, so that's always an option.

So the fix sounds like it was as simple as an airfilter swap? I'd like to know what the cost was?
It was steep. $3500. The mechanic said that the TC needed to be replaced and the transmission needed to be overhauled. When I picked it up, he said that the transmission “wasn’t too bad.” My guess is that the transmission was fine but the TC was going out and he knew it but wanted to add on the transmission for extra money. I’m not expert but that’s just what I think as the shifts don’t feel any different and he said that it wasn’t that bad. Live and learn I guess.

I don't think LubeGard Platinum or any conversion fluid is any longer needed since the new ATF formulations have negated the need for these "conversion" fluids.
I thought that this was the product advertised as their conversion additive:

1703657671993.jpg

Platinum seems to be a product that they released after the one above.

TBH, I didn't use Lubegard Platinum as a conversion fluid. I used it to improve the shifting quality. I tried a few different ATFs, and none of them imtroved certain bad characterstics if the transmission shifting, like sudden and harsh down and upshifting during hard acceleration. Not sudden acceration, but hard. Or even under a mild load. So I started experimenting with Lubegard products. First Lubegard Platinum. With a fresh 3 drain and fill, got the fluid level perfect. Then I added 1oz. per quart at a time, reset the TCM's adarive values, drove it foe a couple of days. Added an additional ounce, did the same. At 3oz. per quart I stopped. I said ti myself if this doesn't feel noticeably different, I won't add anymore. However, after I added the last treatment, shifting imrpoved. I did no expereience any slipping or weird shifting. Shifts are crisp, quick, and clean, even under heavy load and hard acceleration.

@SubieRubyRoo could I have done it without Lubegard? For sure, however, Lubegard imrpoved the shifting quality feel. To me, it was worth it.

Back