‘23 Malibu has wildly inaccurate fuel range

New Malibu’s fuel range meter is way off. It starts out at full usually showing 500+ miles until E. However the gas light comes on slightly before 400 miles, according to the trip meter, with the typical range left at approximately 50 miles… cannot say I trust it though. That’s a pretty large discrepancy from start to finish. If I had to estimate the actual range I would say it is around 420 miles. Anyone else seen or have this issue?

Sucks cause I like to plan my fill ups based on the convenience of my schedule that day. Had three Fusions before this and I have to say I’m not a Malibu fan. It’s just a car for work and putting around so whatever. I can just do the math in my head assuming 400 miles to a tank, but dang, it is 2023... I’ve been using the fuel range feature in vehicles for awhile now.

After 2000 miles definitely not impressed so far.

Attachments

• IMG_5389.jpeg
    IMG_5389.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5390.jpeg
    IMG_5390.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5393.jpeg
    IMG_5393.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 72
At such low mileage, it's probably still getting broken in.
With time, it usually (MPG, acceleration etc.). improves.

Aside from the fuel economy, how do you like it?
I rented a 2022 recently and despite having the 1.5t with the CVT, it moved along quietly and very efficiently!
If I needed a "commuter" car, it would be on the top of my list from a cost/benefit perspective (despite it's low ranking from the auto reviews)!

Last edited:
I thought maybe that was it at first… But I’ve done some hwy cruising (half tank worth) and the fuel range was not tracking with the trip meter. Also the MPG average stayed the same.

Have you hand calculated the mileage? 34 MPG sounds pretty optimistic, my Integra doesn't get anywhere near that and filling up at 1/4 tank is usually around 230 miles from last fill up.

Have you hand calculated the mileage? 34 MPG sounds pretty optimistic, my Integra doesn't get anywhere near that and filling up at 1/4 tank is usually around 230 miles from last fill up.
Yeah. It’s closer 33 and maybe a little change… but it seems fine. I filled up at approximately 400 miles and pump stopped at about 12 gallons. It’s much closer than the 15-20% difference in the range estimate.

Another weird thing is I thought the car had a 15.8 gallon tank. Most I’ve been able to put in is 12.5 gallons. I guess the tank is smaller or the gas light comes on a little earlier.

This is a petty complaint I know. I’m just used to trusting my gauges. Feels weird to not.

It can definitely get 34 mpg. I just got back from a two week vacation with a Malibu rental. I put 2,700 miles on it. It achieved a solid 33 to 34 mpg. Came away somewhat impressed from the vehicle. Good CVT as well.

It can definitely get 34 mpg. I just got back from a two week vacation with a Malibu rental. I put 2,700 miles on it. It achieved a solid 33 to 34 mpg. Came away somewhat impressed from the vehicle. Good CVT as well.

That's wild, my Integra averages around 29 unless it's really hot out, then it drops to 25.

Yeah. It’s closer 33 and maybe a little change… but it seems fine. I filled up at approximately 400 miles and pump stopped at about 12 gallons. It’s much closer than the 15-20% difference in the range estimate.

Another weird thing is I thought the car had a 15.8 gallon tank. Most I’ve been able to put in is 12.5 gallons. I guess the tank is smaller or the gas light comes on a little earlier.

This is a petty complaint I know. I’m just used to trusting my gauges. Feels weird to not.

Maybe they're being super cautious with a reserve? There's only one way to find out!

That's wild, my Integra averages around 29 unless it's really hot out, then it drops to 25.
I haven't figured exact gas costs for those miles. But it doesn't exceed $250.00. Drove from Michigan, through Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri and Kansas. Gas a lot cheaper in that part of the country as well.

I know, right?!
From all the lackluster "professional" reviews online, I was fully anticipating hating it and coming back to BITOG to address all the issues I found.
There goes those plans.
:(

MPG is good. Fusion before it averaged only 29-30. The GM 1.5T has nice pep. CVT is decent but not great, it is fluttery when accelerating lightly in traffic but feels pretty strong at mid - high acceleration range.

The other features of the car are my biggest complaint. It’s the little annoyance that are bugging me. Like the apple car play not connecting sometimes, or the fuel range issue. Also the GM steering wheels have never really lined up well with my seating positions. The top of the dash cluster is always harder to see for me.

MPG is good. Fusion before it averaged only 29-30. The GM 1.5T has nice pep. CVT is decent but not great, it is fluttery when accelerating lightly in traffic but feels pretty strong at mid - high acceleration range.

The other features of the car are my biggest complaint. It’s the little annoyance that are bugging me. Like the apple car play not connecting sometimes, or the fuel range issue. Also the GM steering wheels have never really lined up well with my seating positions. The top of the dash cluster is always harder to see for me.

Did you buy this or is it a company issued car?

Did you buy this or is it a company issued car?
It is lease through work’s fleet program. I do pay for it but it is a really, really good deal. No complaints there. No options in the program though. If I wanted a different car then I would have to move to the bring your own vehicle program. No plans to do that anytime soon.

Aside from the fuel economy, how do you like it?
I rented a 2022 recently and despite having the 1.5t with the CVT, it moved along quietly and very efficiently!
If I needed a "commuter" car, it would be on the top of my list from a cost/benefit perspective (despite its low ranking from the auto reviews)!
It is ok. I would probably not put it too high on the list. But it does check a lot of boxes in the economy commuter car segment… It will do is the best praise I can give it.

The car likely has the size of tank indicated. As soon as you can after the low fuel light comes on fill it up, do this a couple of times and you can get a good idea what the reserve is. My '21 GMC truck and the '02 Jeep have a big reserve when the light comes on. The Jeep has a 19 gallon tank and the light comes on with 5 gallons left and the gauge is near E. Suspect this is on purpose, better more gas than less.

My Mini Roadster has a 13.2-gallon tank. The fuel gauge has 9 segments and the fuel light comes on when I'm down to two segments. At that point, there are 2.6 gallons left in the tank. My fuel consumption is between 24mpg in the city and up to 45 mpg on the freeway. Average gas mileage is 34 mpg which equals an average range of 450 miles. The remaining range while running on Reserve is between 62 and 117 miles depending on driving conditions. The display shows the remaining miles. I had to run the fuel down to 5 miles left per the display on one occasion and I could then fit over 13 gallons in the tank. I guess I had about a 1/4 gallon fuel left before refueling.

Last edited:
On our accents the range number seems to account for the previous tanks MPG when you fill it up. So if i had a good tank and got 40 something mpg it will show me a range of 450ish miles. If it's winter and I've been short tripping it will show me something like 390 miles. Does the Malibu show the same range at every fill?

i can get in my Accord 500miles if i'm careful enough around city and some highway easily; and that's on 16.2 gallons tank

my car the light comes on 400 miles or 50 miles left in the tank; after i hit 0 miles at the gauge there are about more 2 gallons(about 50miles to go) at the bottom of the tank left

don't do drive-thru services

Back