2007 Poll - Are you using Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have Motorcraft 5W20 oil in both vehicles but next change will use Havoline 5W20 Synthetic that we bought on sale at Big Lots. Main reason was the sale. Other than that have had good luck with the Motorcraft oil

Quote:

As someone who has run BOTH Syn and Conventional in the SAME engines and HAS run UOAs for both oils, I am running conventional due to a better (lower) wear metals and cost per mile.

And it's precisely the results that you get, with the UOAs to back them up, that make me second guess whether the move synthetic oil is worth the extra expense.

Quote:

Quote:

There are enough Amsoil websites on the web without making this a mouthpiece for a non paying shill. I am sick of it.

I'm sick of it as well.

Tim, Amsoil is a very high quality oil, however, it is not the only one. The gap has closed since SM came along. There are a few UOA's that show decent results with Amsoil at longer drain intervals, but most are not that good.

Nothing wrong with using an API SM oil changing it every 7.5k miles.

From the Oxford American Dictionaries:
shill
noun
an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others.

Let's see, who are the sponsored Amsoil Dealers here: Pablo, msparks, and Don, none of which are hawkers, gamblers, or swindlers.

Sure, TimVipond is a Amsoil Dealer, but he has NEVER tried to sell anyone anything. He does not represent nor work for any of the above dealers. He stands on his own.

So, if we are going to call someone something, lets be sure we know what we are talking about. Tim is as welcomed here as anyone else.

I've had my say.

Currently using GC in 2002 Tahoe, 2002 BMW 330ci and 2005 Chevy work truck. Our 2005 Miata uses Syntec 5w20, so it looks like we use mostly use GRPIII + IV based oils around here.

However, based on the good dino GF4 UOA's, I'm thinking of putting the work truck on Castrol GTX 5w30 on 5k OCI's.

Before BITOG Mobil 1. After BITOG: Delo, Rotella Syn, Pennzoil Platinum (only because of sale), and Wallyworld Syn (for my wife's one modern car). Delo 400 (dino) will likely bemy most common choice in the future. I may use Rotella Syn in the winter.

I only noticed this while thinking about how to answer the question. For the cars I maintain, that were built this millennium, I use synthetic. For cars built last millennium, I use dino.

2000 Camaro – GC 0w30
2004 Silverado – PP
1995 Dodge Dakota – dino on sale
1975 International Scout – dino on sale

I will add, however, that after I burn up my dino cache, I will likely go to a synthetic blend. TropArtic at 1.68/qt is hard for any dino to beat, either for price or performance.

Yes I am.Castrol Syntec 5W-20
coffee.gif

Was using M1 0W-40 but had some consumption issues. Switched to Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 (TDT 54-40) and it seems to have fixed the consumption probs.

i'm tired of ppl buying a cheap a$$ 20 buck analysis, and claiming dino is better than synthetic.

KieferS- a quick search shows you have posted ZERO UOAs on BITOG. I would trust the hundreds of "cheap" Blackstone Analysis reports posted on this forum vs. the "expensive" UOAs you've apparently done and kept secret from the rest of us. lol.

Quote:

i'm tired of ppl buying a cheap a$$ 20 buck analysis, and claiming dino is better than synthetic.

ok, show me your UOAs.

Show me your long life engines.

Show me your ACTUAL FACTS.

I have. 300k+ and many 200k+ engines all on conventional oil.

ATL has a real harsh weather...
laugh.gif

I'm sick of people just thinking that because they spend $$ that they are well protected.

I'm waiting for your FACTS.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back