2007 Poll - Are you using Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not changed my opinion on synthetic. I believe it all comes down to driving style and OCI's. For most people, a good dino will do the job at a lesser price with a reasonable OCI (5000 miles).
That said, I just switched to Penn Plat. It seems to have greatly reduced oil consumption in my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. I will stick with PP for this vehicle. On my next vehicle, I will probably switch back to a dino unless I have a problem.

Yes I am using synthetic oil.
0W-30 PAO / Ester oil.
Shell helix Ultra X.
BITOG changed my mind (educated me
coffee.gif
) about the viscosity.

Spitfires, the oil you are using is PAO/Ester and not Grp III? Do you have the specs on that?

Quote:

Spitfires, the oil you are using is PAO/Ester and not Grp III? Do you have the specs on that?

Yes I have a MSDS, in Dutch though.

It states the oil is a mixture of poly-alpha-olefin, synthetic esters and additives.
Rifined mineral oil is only present as an additive diluter.
(I hope thats a word..
smile.gif
)
Its a ACEA A1/B1 A5/B5 VW 503/506/506.01 oil.
9.6 cSt @ 100C.

I've been using it in my engine now for 4200 km or so and I plan to keep it in there for a lot longer.
Car is a Honda S2000, engine F20C2.

Will do an UOA and post results.

cheers.gif

Not right now (2 cars on GTX for ARX, and bleeding down dino stash purchased on sale) but will be moving to PP for the 04 Neon, MaxLife Synthetic for the 02 PT Cruiser, and back to MaxLife Semi for the 92 Cherokee. I have experimented with many dino's since finding BITOG, but this site has not changed my opinion on synthetics, just reaffirmed my confidence that it is worth the extra few bucks for my applications...

I use synthetic in my car (2007 Toyota Solara). I just switched to Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 from Mobil 1, simply because of the difference in price.
I use Valvoline Max Life 5W30 in my wife's car (2001 Toyota highlander). Seems to work pretty well.
I use the Toyota filters for both vehicles.

06 Chrysler 300--> 3.5L GC 0W30
05 Ford Focus--> QS Winter Synthetic Blend 5W30
01 Honda CR-V--> Syntec 5W30 or Maxlife Synthetic 5W30
95 Mazda B3000--> Castrol or Valvoline HM 5W30
canada.gif

It is a synthetic, and it has these properties:
API Service SJ Warranty Requirements for new 1997 Model Cars, Vans & Trucks
API Service SL Warranty Requirements for new 2001 Model Cars, Vans & Trucks
API Service SM Warranty Requirements for new 2005 Model Cars, Vans & Trucks
API Service CG-4, CF-2, CF-4, CF Warranty Requirements for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines
API Service CH-4 Warranty Requirements for new 1998 Low Emission Heavy Duty Diesels
API Service CI-4 Warranty Requirements for new 2002 Low Emission Heavy Duty Diesels with EGR.
Global DHD-1 performance specification for Heavy Duty Diesel Service according to International specifications
Cummins performance specification 20076 (also called CH-4 plus or CH-4+)
Mack EO-M, EO-M PLUS, EO-L, EO-L PLUS & EO-K/2 Performance Specifications
Quadruple Cummins NTC-400 performance
Caterpillar 10 TBN requirements
Detroit Diesel 7SE 270
Exceeds the requirements of MIL-L-22851C (U.S. Military)
ACEA ES-99 European Specifications for Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil
ACEA B4-98 European Specifications for Light Duty High Speed Diesel Engine Oil
ACEA A3-98 European Specification for Gasoline Engine Oil
CCMC PD-2 for High Performance Automotive Diesel Engines
CCMC G-5 & D-5
ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3 & GF-4
SAE 5W-50 rating allows for All-Season & All-Climate universal use in all engines
ISO 100 Viscosity rating for industrial applications

Also, should note that Viscosity Index is: 200

This is the oil I use in one of my cars, and it is 100% synthetic. Not any use of group 1,2 or 3, as a carrier.

I JUST put in synthetic yesterday (4-19-07)after 27000 miles of break-in with dino and dino-blends on a 2006 model Honda purchased in December 2005!!

I would have liked to go 30k of nothing but dino and dino blends until 30k but 27k is close enough as well the fact that some say you can go full syn from day 1. I humbly disagree and waited until 10k before going synthetic in those blends. For example, the honda S2000 mandates you not use synthetic until 10k (just found this out yesterday from where else, BITOG). Btw, I am using the s2000 filter for the first time too after nothing but stock Honda FRAMs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back