2007 Poll - Are you using Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious if BITOG has changed your opinion on Synthetic oil? Are you using Synthetic or Conventional oil?

I used Syn before finding BITOG. What has changed is the fact that I now only use Syn in the winter vs. all year round like I did previously. BITOG convinced me that I can run dino during the warmer months.

in GA- i like to use synthetic, the summers here get so hot it's hard to breath sometimes, and i feel better using synthetic in the winter months for the 2 cold days we get here. Not to mention the *very* slight gain in performance and gas mileage, a few bucks extra is a small price to pay for the peace of mind I gain..i don't believe in the use of dinos.

'05 Highlander - Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
'01 Infiniti I30 - Green GC

Year 'round for both.
beer2.gif

I'm using conventional oil at the moment. I plan on trying M1 EP 5w-20 at some point. I feel safe running any API SM oil out to 7k miles.

-Motormaster full syn 5W20 in my 07 fit
-Valvoline 10W30 in my wifey's 93 Camry Vee6
-Formula Shell 5W30 (ILSAC GF4) in my dad's 7th gen civic.

may give my dad's civic some leftover Syntec 5W30 for his next oil change.

I came to BITOG using synthetic and will continue using it. Currently running PP 10w-30 (AutoRx rinse phase), GC after that.

No way, my stuff doesn't need it. It's nice and warm in Texas and I use SM GF 4 oils. Synthetic would be a complete waste of money on me , My two Toyotas and my 5k mile OCI's.

Last edited:
Dino. All my vehicles are high mileage and don't think synth is cost effective for me.

Run either QS 10W30 or Rot T 15W40, 5K OCI.

Will probably switch to WallyWorld's ST soon, simply due to pricing. Scored 3 qts of ST 15W40 @ $1.50 the other day. Woo-hoo!

92 Olds Silhouette 3.8 235K
98 Merc Sable 3.0 155k
91 Cad Brougham 5.0 100K

Seems that most ppl are running, or will be switching to a synthetic in the near future.

One litre of Mobil 1 0W20 syn with 2 1/2 litres of 5W20 Mobil 5000 in the 2003 Civic Hybrid. Don't ask me why.
The 2004 Intrepid gets conventional 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 in the winter. It gets whatever is on sale.

Quote:

Seems that most ppl are running, or will be switching to a synthetic in the near future

Not sure about that. I posted this topic bc I'm curious if more people are just going back to conventional after seeing so many great UOA's with it. Those interested in extended drains obviously will use a synthetic in most cases.

1996 855 Volvo has Amsoil ACD 10W-30 (DEO next)
2006 Honda Ody has Amsoil XLM 5W-20 (ASM next)

Both with EaO OF's and Wix AF's.

All other engines in my stable have some form of Amsoil.

Royal Purple Full syn in my 2006 Mazda6
Probably Valvoline synpower in the new 2007 Escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back