2007 Poll - Are you using Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redline or Amsoil in my echo(I4) 8-11K OCI
Mostly conventional in my F150 (300I6) and Caprice(305V8)

BITOG convinced me of the feasibility of extended OCI.

I use some of about everything between all the cars in our home parking lot.

Two wife and daughter's cars are on some high-mileage oil to heal some seals before the go to PP. The truck is on conventional Pennzoil for a while. The Z28 is on Super Tech and ARX before going to GC.

Synthetic. Used to use M1 quite often but now AMSOIL, GC or my remaining stock of M1.

Used to use Delo 400 a lot- IMO one of the very best dino oils.

Summer, usually 1qt. Synthetic with reg. dino and in the winter, all synthetic. Although, last month i got a good deal on a local target for M1, so I put in all Synthetic when I did an oil change 2 weeks ago. It really depends on my synthetic "stash".

Most that have posted are saying synthetic. But then again, we all know synthetic is superior to dino in every way
hornets_nest.gif

B4 BITOG...the cheapest oil I could buy. Oil is oil.
frown.gif

After BITOG...the best synthetic I could buy, for a couple of years.
cool.gif

Today...the cheapest oil I can find on sale. SM oil is SM oil.
blush.gif

Tomorrow...back to synthetic (honest). The older I get the more appealing extended OCI's look.
cheers.gif

Because some people care about wasting resources, or having to get under their car less often, or live in harsher climates where they need more cold start protection, and there are many opportunities where you can get synthetic for the same price as dino.

Conventional. Castrol GTX or Valvoline. I just dont put the miles on a car to justify a synthetic and live to close to the ocean in a humid climate so I dont like leaving it in there forever. 3000/4 months and it is ussually the 4 months, which only comes out to 3 times a year.

The UOAs posted on here have definitely convinced me that synthetic is not an absolute necessity anymore. I've used synthetic oil almost exclusively ever since 1991, but have recently switched my wife's car over to conventional. Ever since I bought that car in 1999 I ran nothing but synthetic in it. But I truly think I will get just as good (if not better) results running conventional changed every 5-6k as I was getting with synthetic changed every 8-11k.

I still run synthetic in my Corvette, since that's what they recommend, although at the same time the LS1 engine also came in the Camaro & Firebird and they didn't specify synthetic for it. So I probably could safely run conventional, although since I do like to drive it hard once in a while, which heats up the oil, I feel safer with synthetic in there. Plus I also want to follow the oil life monitor in this car for my oil changes, and it's calibrated based on synthetic oil.

I think that ever since the SM/GF-4 oils came out, the gap between synthetic and conventional is considerably less. Ten years ago there was a much bigger gap in quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back