2007 Poll - Are you using Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using synthetic because VW tells me to. (GC, by the way.)

If it wasn't required, I wouldn't use it. It's overrated for the average vehicle, IMO. As usual, Bill in Utah is dead on.
cheers.gif

122k and going strong on dino for its entire life. Previous car was 128k when I sold it, ran solid with no noise at all, all dino. Can't complain! No sludge in either motor, with very minimal varnish. With synthetic I could only imagine how long the KA24DE and B18B1 would last!
smile.gif

To me, an oil change using Synthetic is dirt cheap compared to the average joe who pays jiffy lube prices for normal dino.

For that reason, I figure I'm getting a #@$%! good deal, and hopefully better protection at the same time. I can easily shop for sales and get most synthetics for under 4$ a quart. Plus, both my vehicles have a 4qt sump, which equals a 20$ synthetic oil change.

The price of most dino oils are hitting 3$ a quart, so the cost difference is not as big as it once was.

I have been using syn since about 1989. I have been using Amsoil since 1995.

I use it because 1 it's a good oil 2 I like to extend my intervals which is time and miles. 3 I like to minimize getting rid of the waste ((oil and filters) and my time.
4 I am minimizing waste oil and filters into the environment as well.

Believe me that stuff adds up, especially when you do it for family and friends. I have hucked many a 5 gallon bucket. Which I have not been doing much of for the last couple of years. But I have in the past.

I am not sure why others insist on bashing each other whether they do long or short OCIs. It is clear that each side has reasons they feel are right for them. I love eating breathing and living oil and stuff as well as working on cars etc.

I just like to extend the time that I change oil and fluids out within reason. I do this for convenience and in my mind less wear and tear on my body and I hope on the vehicles I work on.
wink.gif

"I am not sure why others insist on bashing each other whether they do long or short OCIs. It is clear that each side has reasons they feel are right for them."

approved.gif
thumbsup.gif
cheers.gif

Quote:

To me, an oil change using Synthetic is dirt cheap compared to the average joe who pays jiffy lube prices for normal dino.

For that reason, I figure I'm getting a #@$%! good deal, and hopefully better protection at the same time. I can easily shop for sales and get most synthetics for under 4$ a quart. Plus, both my vehicles have a 4qt sump, which equals a 20$ synthetic oil change.

The price of most dino oils are hitting 3$ a quart, so the cost difference is not as big as it once was.

Yeah but noone ever talks about how blends can outperform synthetics. Everyone thinks that full synthetic is the halo of motor oils and that is not always the case. Infact, I am wondering how much a quality GRP II and GRP III can offset the now only GRP III synthetics in terms of better if not atleast equal or near equal performance. But I understand thatif you can spend only 5 bucks more you can get the most protection and that is all that sometimes matters too.

Quote:

I have been using syn since about 1989. I have been using Amsoil since 1995.

I use it because 1 it's a good oil 2 I like to extend my intervals which is time and miles. 3 I like to minimize getting rid of the waste ((oil and filters) and my time.
4 I am minimizing waste oil and filters into the environment as well.

Believe me that stuff adds up, especially when you do it for family and friends. I have hucked many a 5 gallon bucket. Which I have not been doing much of for the last couple of years. But I have in the past.

I am not sure why others insist on bashing each other whether they do long or short OCIs. It is clear that each side has reasons they feel are right for them. I love eating breathing and living oil and stuff as well as working on cars etc.

I just like to extend the time that I change oil and fluids out within reason. I do this for convenience and in my mind less wear and tear on my body and I hope on the vehicles I work on.
wink.gif

I agree 100% I love this forum,you can learn alot here,BUT the constant bashing I see day in and day out of this site is so rediculous.Keep this forum civil,we all can learn more together.Keep the bickering and bashing,people will leave.

Quote:

.... I have hucked many a 5 gallon bucket. Which I have not been doing much of for the last couple of years. But I have in the past. .....

? ?
There was another thread about regional terms -- Soda / Pop; Hoagie / Grinder; etc.
Does this fit in over there ? I don't know what this means.

02 Saturn SL2 82,000+ mi Penzoil Platinum
92 Grand Marquis 160,000+ mi Valvoline Maxlife, currently doing a mad scientist experiment with Walmart Supertech Synthetic

Would like to add use what seems to work for you, these posts can cause a tumor to growe in your brain and some people think to much about oil, change oil every 3,000 miles use quality stuff and stop stressing. I wonder if anyones had a heart attack while surfing this forum from the info overload?

Quote:

"I am not sure why others insist on bashing each other whether they do long or short OCIs. It is clear that each side has reasons they feel are right for them."

approved.gif
thumbsup.gif
cheers.gif

^^^I agree....the bashing is getting ridicules, who cares
what someone else is doing...if that's what they want to
do so be it, i wish the mods would step in once and a wile
more than they do now to cut the #@$%! out, i find myself
posting less and less because i don't want to get bashed
for something i say OR maybe a missed spelled word..

My $.02

"I will likely go to a synthetic blend. TropArtic at 1.68/qt.... "

Ah, another person falls under the spell of marketing. There is no reason to think that the "synthetic blend" CP oils are superior to other good conventional oils like Pennzoil, Castrol GTX, Chevron, etc.

GroupI+GroupIII is not neccessarily better than all Group II+ base oil.

The bashing on this forum seems pretty mild by internet standards. I see people calling out others when they are talking b.s. but I like that. People should be accountable for what they say and should think twice before spouting nonsense.

Now name calling and personal attacks is a whole different matter. People should be banned for that, imo.

Quote:

The bashing on this forum seems pretty mild by internet standards.

Agreed. Guess some are more sensitive to it than others.
dunno.gif

Quote:

I see people calling out others when they are talking b.s. but I like that. People should be accountable for what they say and should think twice before spouting nonsense.

It called responsible posting.

I've had to do this more than once to so-called veteran posters here. Imagine what a newbie must think when he/she views such a post.

Quote:

Now name calling and personal attacks is a whole different matter. People should be banned for that, imo.

Totally agree with this. That's abusive and indicative of poster's level of maturity. It shouldn't be tolerated.

I wish moderators would step in more often on this.

I’ve been using Synthetic blend (5w-30 Motomaster) oils since 1988 … ~ 8000km/1 year OCI.

I’m currently switching to conventional SM/GF4 5w-30’s -- same OCI. I figure a conventional Group II/II+ blend is close enough to a Group II/III blend that for my OCI it’s not going to make any difference. These Group II oils are such high performance base oils (compared to Group I), they should handle my OCI quite easily.

i'm using synthetic in our mustang GT, but i'm probably going to stay with MC blend or conventional in my pickup with shorter 3k oci (severe conditions)

1992 Jeep XJ - MaxLife 10w30, 2002 PT Cruiser - Havoline DS 5w30, and 2004 Dodge Neon - Castrol GTX 5w30. Nothing against Synthetics, I just like to change the oil every once in awhile, and feel the modern SM oils are very good. I have tried a variety of oils in each car, including Synthetics, and think I have found what each one likes based on seat of the pants testing. Plus gives me some bonding time with my son and daughter every month or so.

Synthetic year round. The longer oci's are great. I like the idea of one oil change a year. It's good on the wallet and environment. No problems with the cars, so far.

Quote:

"I will likely go to a synthetic blend. TropArtic at 1.68/qt.... "

Ah, another person falls under the spell of marketing. There is no reason to think that the "synthetic blend" CP oils are superior to other good conventional oils like Pennzoil, Castrol GTX, Chevron, etc.

GroupI+GroupIII is not neccessarily better than all Group II+ base oil.

I am using MC right now and have used Mobil blend before this. I told myself I would only go one OCI with the MC just to clean and rinse as they say but now I am wondering if I should go one more OCI with MC sinceit is only spring and the 110 degree weather is not hear yet. Then I could spring PP on my car but I am also wondering if I can't get the performance right now with the PP and its BOGOF so money is not a factor either. Once you go full syn tho, I won't probably ever go back to a blend so this is why I am wavering on this decision. What would you guys do? The MC I can get for 12 bucks and get the PP for 15 or 16 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back