2004 Grand Marquis with 127, 000 miles on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here goes, I just bought a 2004 Grand Marquis with 127, 000 miles on it. How will Pennzoil ultra work? A local dealership has a deal where you buy a 4-pack of changes for 60 bucks using Pennzoil regular oil, but you can upgrade the oil to PU for 15 bucks a change.

Secondly, what weight is best for that year of a car?

Great car! 5w20 is what it calls for.

What OCI are you planning to do, with what kind of driving? Unless you plan on doing long drain intervals or drive in extreme conditions regular Pennzoil will be perfect for 5-7k or 6 months.

I recently bought a 2004 Expedition with 134,000 miles on it.I use motorcraft filters and Motorcraft 5w-20 semi-synthetic and am very pleased with the combo.Uses no oil and runs great.Should work great for you too.

That thing will run on anything as long as you change it reasonably. You may only get another 170k or so out of it.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40

What OCI are you planning to do, with what kind of driving? Unless you plan on doing long drain intervals or drive in extreme conditions regular Pennzoil will be perfect for 5-7k or 6 months.
Thanks, not a ding on her, I might add, that I have found! and it's is perfect, with leather!

Highway mostly, the current OCI sticker says 3,000mi, and still looking clear. I am planning on changing it anyway and when it gets 7,500 (tire rotation time too.) or so getting it Blackstoned (read that here.)

Wrong forum, but it has green coolant, so I'll ask there. I wonder what it came with. Then on to transmission fluid!

Originally Posted By: rccsofla
I recently bought a 2004 Expedition with 134,000 miles on it.I use motorcraft filters and Motorcraft 5w-20 semi-synthetic and am very pleased with the combo.Uses no oil and runs great.Should work great for you too.
Not sure, but I think mine came with drain back valve, or some such.

The coolant should be motorcraft gold or G 05
as far as the oil goes I would stick to PYB 5w20 unless it rattles or something.
Its a pretty darn good oil
thumbsup2.gif
It has a higher TBN & lower NOACK than alot of synthetics and flat out makes other dino 5w20s look like garbage.

I use M1 5W-30 along with Motorcraft or Pure One filters in both my '98 & '07 Grand Marquis(61K miles on each), changed at one year intervals whether they need it or not(anywhere from 5-8K mi)...

Coolant should be gold/yellow, Ford changed from green in the '03 model year...

$60 for 4 conventional oil changes seems good, especially using Pennzoil conventional. That's cheaper than you can get it in a store.

$120 for 4 oil changes using PU isn't terrible, either, but they are definitely making a lot more money on the synthetic change.

I would get the package with the conventional if I had to.

Originally Posted By: VicMatson
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40

Thanks, not a ding on her, I might add, that I have found! and it's is perfect, with leather!

Highway mostly, the current OCI sticker says 3,000mi, and still looking clear. I am planning on changing it anyway and when it gets 7,500 (tire rotation time too.) or so getting it Blackstoned (read that here.)

Wrong forum, but it has green coolant, so I'll ask there. I wonder what it came with. Then on to transmission fluid!

3k is a waste, we do mostly highway in both of ours as well. I would do at least 5k changes. I use Castrol Mercon V and ours shifts smooth. For the coolant I use prestone, but peak is also a good one and it is green in color.

G-05 is the proper coolant. Motorcraft Gold from the dealer is the same price as aftermarket Zerex G-05 typically.
Honestly regular Pennzoil is so good and that engine is easy enough on oil I would just stay with the conv.
I have Castrol Mercon V in the CVPI and it works great. I had Schaeffer's #204SAT full synthetic in the CVLX. I like the #204 because its a full syn but its not cheap. I think it ran me $10/qt last I checked.

Thanks, I think i'm going with Pennzoil 5w20 regular, but am going to look into what filters they use, and how much the motorcraft filters are from Ford. This forum seems to love G-05 so im going with that. There is green in it right now and I've read that the car comes with orange, so it looks like it was changed once at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back