Frugal choice for 5k OCIs on 5.4 3v

Hi all. I did the first oil change on our 2104 Expedition with Pennzoil Platinum HM 5w-30. Bought 2 5qt jugs (7qt fill), ran that for 5k miles and did the second change with the remaining 3qts of Platinum HM and the balance with regular Pennzoil Full Syn 5w30. Looking forward I'd like to find a more frugal option. I feel like Pennzoil Platinum is wasted on a 5k drain interval but wouldn't like to extend OCIs because of the 5.4 3v's reputation for being sensitive to long drains.

That engine was updated, but still has known issues. One being the leaky plastic cam chain tensioners and the leaky oil pump. 5W-30 is a minimum viscosity for any 5.4L 3V. Consider a 5W-40 oil like Rotella T6 or any of the Euro synthetic oils. Your engine will not have any issues with a higher viscosity, but may suffer some issues with the very low viscosity that Ford suggests. Mine is at 200K miles, and has no faults. I used M1 10W-30 for half it's life and now 10W-40 syn.

The local Ford dealer switched to 10W-40 and the warranty claims stopped cold. One issue with the thinner oils in this engine is inadequate pressure to the cylinder heads and phasers.

That engine was updated, but still has known issues. One being the leaky plastic cam chain tensioners and the leaky oil pump. 5W-30 is a minimum viscosity for any 5.4L 3V. Consider a 5W-40 oil like Rotella T6 or any of the Euro synthetic oils. Your engine will not have any issues with a higher viscosity, but may suffer some issues with the very low viscosity that Ford suggests. Mine is at 200K miles, and has no faults. I used M1 10W-30 for half it's life and now 10W-40 syn.

The local Ford dealer switched to 10W-40 and the warranty claims stopped cold. One issue with the thinner oils in this engine is inadequate pressure to the cylinder heads and phasers.
On this valve spring replacement I ended up doing I did take notice that the chain tension was low after sitting a few days, so I know a timing set will probably be in the future. I would like to find some 5w-40 or similar, it would give some extra peace of mind.

If you stock up during rebate period(s) - e.g., now for Pennzoil - not sure you can get more frugal :) For example, less than $60 bucks (w tax) for 2 jugs at Walmart MINUS $25 rebate =$35 ($17.5 a jug which is cheaper than Kirkland / SuperTech). As usual, I am sure M1 and/or Castrol (even Valvoline?) will start rebates soon. As long as specs are met, I wouldn't hesitate to use Kirkland or SuperTech if I don't have anything in my garage.

That engine doesn’t need a full syn….any 5W/30 or 10W/30 you can find on sale will work for 5k drains.
I have a 2.5 gal of rotella t5 that I've been sitting on but I'm concerned to run a 10w in Ohio, at least in winter.

I'd go cheap synthetic for 5k personally. I had a well maintained F150 w/ this motor and it still went bye bye at 106K miles. But many have gone 250k+. I think that keeping on top of the maintenance is important.

Ours has had 5k or less changes it's whole life with lots of Chevron Supreme 5w-20 for the first half of its life and mostly on sale synthetic 5w-30 for the second half. It's managed to pass 260k miles without developing timing component noises or any internal repairs at all despite being an older, more problematic year than yours (built Dec. 2007).

My feeling is that changing often with a more basic oil is better in this engine than stretching the interval with fancy labeled oils.

As far as frugal options, it's pretty hard to beat Supertech Synthetic or Kirkland Synthetic from Costco. Both of them are priced less than big name conventional oils and UOAs show them to perform very well too.
Agreed..used Kirkland in the past when I didn't stock up. Wouldnt hesitate to use SuperTech (I think they are the same ones from Warren, including Amazon). Oh, except for our Subaru Outback - seemed to burn Kirkland and M1 more than other brands.

Hi all. I did the first oil change on our 2104 Expedition with Pennzoil Platinum HM 5w-30. Bought 2 5qt jugs (7qt fill), ran that for 5k miles and did the second change with the remaining 3qts of Platinum HM and the balance with regular Pennzoil Full Syn 5w30. Looking forward I'd like to find a more frugal option. I feel like Pennzoil Platinum is wasted on a 5k drain interval but wouldn't like to extend OCIs because of the 5.4 3v's reputation for being sensitive to long drains.
Ifixyawata
I have lots of experience with these 5.4L 3v motors.
If you're looking for a low cost option for 5k oci's, then go with the cheapest price. SuperTech, Kirkland, Amazon, etc. Bulk 55 Gallon drum, etc
Oil Filters by the case. (But that's just Math)
I currently drive a 2011 Ford Expedition EL King Ranch 5.4L 3v with 373k miles (in my signature)
The 1st 100k miles I ran Mobil 1 5w-20 with oci's of 5k-7,500 miles
At 100k miles I put on an Amsoil BMK 23-EA Dual Bypass Filter unit and switched to Amsoil 5w-20.
At 250k miles I switched to Amsoil 5w-30
I have a pretty unique Oil change program that I won't bore you with now.
The bottom line is that these 5.4L 3v motors can last a long time if they're taken care of

Thanks for the Post, and Best of Luck to you!

Ifixyawata
I have lots of experience with these 5.4L 3v motors.
If you're looking for a low cost option for 5k oci's, then go with the cheapest price. SuperTech, Kirkland, Amazon, etc. Bulk 55 Gallon drum, etc
Oil Filters by the case. (But that's just Math)
I currently drive a 2011 Ford Expedition EL King Ranch 5.4L 3v with 373k miles (in my signature)
The 1st 100k miles I ran Mobil 1 5w-20 with oci's of 5k-7,500 miles
At 100k miles I put on an Amsoil BMK 23-EA Dual Bypass Filter unit and switched to Amsoil 5w-20.
At 250k miles I switched to Amsoil 5w-30
I have a pretty unique Oil change program that I won't bore you with now.
The bottom line is that these 5.4L 3v motors can last a long time if they're taken care of

Thanks for the Post, and Best of Luck to you!
Excellent to hear. I know there are many many anecdotal cases of 350k+ 3v engines with no major engine repairs. I do suspect, as I mentioned above, that a timing set will be necessary in the foreseeable future. There's about a half second of what I am assuming to be chain rattle on cold start-up. No phaser sounds or anything else of note yet.

This has been a big adjustment from the previous 2004 Mountaineer (4.6l 2v) that needed almost nothing through 210k miles.

I'm definitely not opposed to using conventional oil. And, although I take most of what Fordtechmakuloco says as Ford gospel, his statement about running syn for 5k and conventional for only 3k seems a bit extreme, even for maintenance-sensetive engines such as the 5.4 3v.

Is that just for the 3v motors?

Back