Lucas Transmission conditioner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Yukon XL 2500, 6.0L with 42 K miles. I pull a 5500 lb RV Camper. I'm want to do my first transmission fluid / filter change. Is Lucas considered a good conditioner compatible with Dexron VI for my "hard working" transmission.

Its considered a good conditioner if you enjoy a lighter wallet for nothing.

Save the additives, just change your fluid on time and you'll enjoy tons of life.

Your transmission is hardly "hard working". What you've described would hardly be considered something extraordinary to expect from it.

Last edited:
NO. A thousand times NO. No Lucas.

Dex VI is very good ATF. Go with Amsoil (low viscosity) if you want better. Its a 3/4 ton and you are not pulling that heavy of a trailer.

Does it have a towing package and extra large trans cooler? If not consider an external cooler. Your in Nevada. Hot there right?

What about an inline filter. Spin-on or Magnefine.

Remember you need to do a complete fluid exchange not just a drain & fill.

From the Amsoil website the capacity is just under 13 QTs. Flush with 14 Qts.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I tend to keep anything with the lucas name as far away from my cars/truck as possible.

+1 im not a fan.. I also agree that good service intervals on your tranny are all you need. If you get to pulling heavy duty, a big cooler would serve you better than any fluid additive. 30,000 is a very safe bet on tranny OCI's

Last edited:
I'm not a Lucas fan either - but the Lucas thick oil treatment did worked when I poured it on my chainsaw bar once when I ran out of bar oil.
And an empty Lucas fuel treatment bottle works well for putting other (non lucas) fluids in the bottle to add to the tank.

Yes it does have the complete tow package. I thank you all for advice. It's amazing how one like myself can become deceived about what products can do.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
I'm not a Lucas fan either - but the Lucas thick oil treatment did worked when I poured it on my chainsaw bar once when I ran out of bar oil.
And an empty Lucas fuel treatment bottle works well for putting other (non lucas) fluids in the bottle to add to the tank.

And the gears & crank handles thing is fun to play with.

BTW - while you can use anything in a pinch for bar & chain oil (well maybe not Crisco) but the normal bar & chain oil has a tacky component so it does not fly off the chain so easily.

Quote:
Is Lucas considered a good conditioner compatible with Dexron VI for my "hard working" transmission.

Ask yourself, what are you trying to do to the fluid to condition it? What is in Lucas that will raise performance of a fully formulated DexronVI? I can tell you, absolutlety nothing.

DexronVI is a good fluid and no additives are needed.

Change your oil every 30 K miles if you are pulling anything.

There is only one place for Lucas transmission additives: A dying transmission that needs to be kept alive for a few months.

Approved ATF does the job well and there will be no need for additives.

If LUCAS wanted to advertise here at BITOG, would they be turned down?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
If LUCAS wanted to advertise here at BITOG, would they be turned down?
smile.gif

OUCH!

And at that point we would allow bridges to be sold under "Items for Sale". I got one for sale...cheap.

I would reccomend Royal Purple or AMSOIL trans fluid with lubeguard if you want to add anything...otherwise just those trans fluids will protect great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back