What is the best Dex 6?

My Chevy Equinox with the 6T45 is due for its trans drain and fill that I do every 50k. It's now at 200k miles and the transmission shifts great so I want to keep it that way. The first 2 changes were done at the dealer and I'm assuming they used the OEM AC Delco Dexron VI. I did the 3rd change at 150k with the red jug of Valvoline Max Life Dex 6. Now that it's at 200k, I'm going to drop it down to a 30k interval and I'm looking into the best fluid to use. I'm considering Redline D6 as it has a lot of good reviews. I'm interested in whatever is going to make the transmission last the longest, I'm going to try and reach 300k on the original transmission.

Maxlife is my favorite ATF and it has worked well for you so I would use it again this time. I think 50k miles is a fine interval to stick too. 30k is too soon and I doubt you are towing or other extreme use. Unfortunately the 6 speed trans is a weak link and keeping fresh fluid in there is all you can really do to increase your odds against failure. The most common issues is with their TCMs (built into the trans) going bad and the TCM also houses the shift solenoids. I do probably 1-2 TCM's a month and quite a few trans each year. You made it to 200k which is something to be proud of with that trans!

Last edited:
The fluids bellow meet and exceed Dex 6:
  1. HPL ATF Green / Green CC
  2. Mobil 1 Dexron HP
  3. Castrol TranSynd 668
I would recommend the last on if you want something that's easily available (you gan get it anywhere) and if you need something that will be worked hard at high temperatures.

Maxlife is my favorite ATF and it has worked well for you so I would use it again this time. I think 50k miles is a fine interval to stick too. 30k is too soon and I doubt you are towing or other extreme use. Unfortunately the 6 speed trans is a weak link and keeping fresh fluid in there is all you can really do to increase your odds against failure. The most common issues is with their TCMs (built into the trans) going bad and the TCM also houses the shift solenoids. I do probably 1-2 TCM's a month and quite a few trans each year. You made it to 200k which is something to be proud of with that trans!
Thanks for the info, I'll probably get Maxlife again. It also has a lot of good reviews and it's 1/3 of the price of Redline. Is it possible to change the fluid too early? I still would like to do less than 50k because if I go with Maxlife, it's only $25 a gallon and it takes less time than changing the oil. Drain it, measure it and add the new stuff in. I don't bother checking the level because there's no leaks and you need a scanner to measure the trans temp then you have to pull the tire off and pull the plug on the side of the transmission. No towing ever, but I do give into my lead foot now and then. The car doesn't even make 200 hp so I don't think it can hurt itself too bad.

Also to add, my neighbor has a 2016ish Silverado with a 6 speed and he's on his 2nd transmission at 120k miles already. The dealer told him it was lifetime fluid but the rebuilder said to never go more than 40k miles between the fluid changes. So that's another reason I want to get below 50k intervals especially now that i have 200k miles on the transmission.

My Chevy Equinox with the 6T45 is due for its trans drain and fill that I do every 50k. It's now at 200k miles and the transmission shifts great so I want to keep it that way. The first 2 changes were done at the dealer and I'm assuming they used the OEM AC Delco Dexron VI. I did the 3rd change at 150k with the red jug of Valvoline Max Life Dex 6. Now that it's at 200k, I'm going to drop it down to a 30k interval and I'm looking into the best fluid to use. I'm considering Redline D6 as it has a lot of good reviews. I'm interested in whatever is going to make the transmission last the longest, I'm going to try and reach 300k on the original transmission.
HPL Green CC ATF is recommended for Mercon ULV/Dex VI even though Teal is technically the “correct” fluid. You said you wanted the “best”! 😎

Thanks for the info, I'll probably get Maxlife again. It also has a lot of good reviews and it's 1/3 of the price of Redline. Is it possible to change the fluid too early? I still would like to do less than 50k because if I go with Maxlife, it's only $25 a gallon and it takes less time than changing the oil. Drain it, measure it and add the new stuff in. I don't bother checking the level because there's no leaks and you need a scanner to measure the trans temp then you have to pull the tire off and pull the plug on the side of the transmission. No towing ever, but I do give into my lead foot now and then. The car doesn't even make 200 hp so I don't think it can hurt itself too bad.
Of course changing it early is never a bad idea especially when $25 is less than $5000 to replace.

the Valvoline licensed Dexron VI is my go to, can be had from walmart for a decent price. it isn’t much more expensive than max life and it is officially licensed through GM.

Maxlife for the win. I think its a good choice for that application especially if you can find it on sale. I used it in my Cruze at 100k. I did 3 spill and fills over a couple of months because I got it for $17 a jug (it only took 4.2 qts each time) I had no baseline for trans service when I got the car and the fluid was pretty dark. Still runs like a Champ with my son driving it now.

I recently used AC Delco Full Synthetic in my ‘21 Traverse. Based on the bottle it was made by Phillips 66.

What I just put in the 2017 Tahoe - very noticeable improvement in shifts and light shudder is gone …

2013 equinox changed trans fluid at 50k 5 qt max most changes 4-4.5 qt changed 7 times 50/miles between drains turned red but not a new red. Been changing every 10 - 15 k 4-4.5 qt. 140k on car.

Back