GM 6L80-90E Transmission fluid change

I'm looking to drop the pan and change the trans filter on my new to me, 2014 Silverado with the 6L80E.

I know that I have multiple options and hope you all have some first hand experience.

OEM stuff is: ACDelco GM Dexron VI Automatic Transmission Fluid

I can get 6 quarts of "Mobil 1 Transmission Fluid - Dexron-VI - ATF - Synthetic" for the same cost as 4 quarts of the ACDelco fluid. I'm not sure if it's 100% compatible.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvolin...tomatic-Transmission-Fluid-ATF-1-QT/153429990

Walmart says it's not compatible?

I'm open to any product that is better suited for my truck. IE Redline, Lucas, Maxlife, etc.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a licensed fluid so I would have no issues running it.

only doing pan volume once a year (B&M plug installed 1st time) - ordered AC Delco to keep it as similar as possible

Be careful, AC Delco Dexron VI has changed from a full synthetic to a semi synthetic…

Make sure the bottle says “Full Synthetic” and not just “Synthetic”…

Try Rock Auto for the fluid…

Unable to post a link, Rock’s security software has me in the doghouse, and is blocking me…

I had a 2014 GMC Sierra as well. I replaced the transmission fluid in the summer of 2019. I used Havoline Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF I got on Amazon ($56 for 12 quarts at the time). Also picked up a new AC Delco pan filter. The bigger issue I faced, or thought I was going to face, was dealing with the exhaust crossover pipe that GM decided to route over just enough of the pan to turn a simple maintenance procedure into a PIA. I spent a week watching videos of others who were doing the same thing deal with the pipe, and what they did to overcome it. I made a game plan, gathered all the tools I thought I would need to get the clearance necessary to drop the pan once the screws were removed. As luck would have it the day I decided it was time to tackle it, I got set up, removed the pan screws and prepared to battle the exhaust pipe. The pan slipped right off without any problem. It was tight, but it drop without having to do anything to the exhaust pipe. What a relief. There are plenty of videos on Youtube on the crossover pipe issue. I also ordered a drain plug and once the pan was dropped had a local welder weld it on so it would be easier to drain the pan the next time I wanted to replace the fluid. I sold the truck a year and a half later. The transmission running and shifting just fine with the Havoline ATF the day I sold it. Good luck.

I put a PML deep pan on my 90E, comes with a drain plug and holds about 3 extra quarts. Was worth every penny. You can use the stock filter. Makes a drain and fill nice and easy. They make one that fits with the half ton cross over pipe. I just run A/C Delco Dex VI in mine.

I put a PML deep pan on my 90E, comes with a drain plug and holds about 3 extra quarts. Was worth every penny. You can use the stock filter. Makes a drain and fill nice and easy. They make one that fits with the half ton cross over pipe. I just run A/C Delco Dex VI in mine.

I kinda wish now I'd gone with the deep pan instead of the regular size one but ah well.

[QUOTE="I I kinda wish now I'd gone with the deep pan instead of the regular size one but ah well.
[/QUOTE]
I get it. I think it was like 380 shipped. It runs cooler and recovers quicker from a "high temp" condition which in this truck is like 180 towing in the summer heat.

Back