Dealer added "BG ATC Plus® Automatic Transmission Conditioner" to my transmission flush, snake oil or helpful?

This is standard practice at many dealers. It was added on two different vehicles when I did a transmission service at the dealer. The transmissions never blew up.
its standard because it is a money maker for them...

just so they can make a few bucks more for the job...
They also get the advantage of paying the techs less for the work performed in most cases as well. Since BG’s fluid exchange machines make the job easier(sometimes they definitely do, sometimes they do the opposite)

Reactions: hrv
Well that website says no CVTs so I'd go into the dealer and have a chat. Get it out of there, genuine honda fluid only.
Yeah I think they get kickbacks to sell that stuff. Ideally since they missed that it was just changed and oversold, they would refund it and remove the BG stuff and put the OEM fluid back in...but I doubt that will happen. Maybe if you threaten to report them to corporate, but you have to be willing to never go back to that dealership probably.

When BG means CVT's, they mean traditional belt/pulley CVT's, which the CR-V 2-motor hybrid doesn't have.
And Honda’s i-MMD system is a serial-split hybrid system - while it can drive off the electric motor, at higher speeds the engine drives a motor as a generator and is capable of taking the motors out of the equation. There is a lock-up clutch in the system - that couples the two motors together for direct drive. Similar but not quite a copy of Toyota Hybrid System II(not the new 1-motor system or the Lexus-specific multi-mode hybrid system). THS II is a parallel-split system with two motor/generators and a planetary gear serving as a power split device between the motors and engine. Quite a bit different than the old IMA system which coupled a 144V DC motor and a pushbelt CVT or 5-speed automatic.

The BG stuff won’t hurt it per se but I wouldn’t want it either around with potentially oil-bathed motors. Both Honda i-MMD and Toyota’s hybrid systems take DW-1 ATF or ATF WS except for the new 5th gen Prius which Toyota introduced a new fluid.

Back