Oil change - do you remove oil pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, not only are oil pans often very difficult to access/remove on most vehicles(some vehicles maybe not) but, you risk developing leaks and more trouble than you bargined for.

Should the pan gasket leak after you just poured in nice clean oil, you'll have to drain the oil and remove the pan again to fix the leak. I guess this is why some folks like to run a FLUSH between OCI's.

Winter salt is the reason that I got rid of most of my vehicles as it attacks the undercarrage in areas we can't often clean/maintain, spray or protect enough! I've only been able to keep my vehilces up to 18 years when driven daily winter/summer.

Then, the vehicle started to fall apart or started to crack in an important structural area and too many of the lines(brake, P/S, P-Brake cable etc.) had rusted causing more grief than not.

Also, many of our old DD vehicles started to develope electrical gremlins afterward which were too difficult to track down IMHO!

These days, I want to start looking for another vehicle while I still have some equity in the ones that we're driving before they turn to rubbish.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
These days, I want to start looking for another vehicle while I still have some equity in the ones that we're driving before they turn to rubbish.

^^Good words to live by. Shopping for a car when you *need* one is a horrible experience,especially if your car is your lifeline and you HAVE to have one.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
but, you risk developing leaks and more trouble than you bargined for.

More excellent words to live by. I see no reason to breach a perfectly good gasket/seal.

W126 Mercedes V8's have a low oil level warning device built into the side of the upper oil pan, accessible after the removal of the lower pan if the gasket around the sender unit leaks.

If you remove the entire pan assembly with the sender you can buy 3 gaskets and spend a wonderful time scraping and resealing. Needless to say this usually requires a lift and is much easier to do with the engine out of the car...

Cheers!

p.s. Anybody out there remove their engine to change the oil?

No reason to drop the pan if the reason is getting extra oil out. As everybody else has said, pretty much a wasted effort.

HOWEVER...

If you have a car that's a few years old, or if you buy a used car (actually, especially if you buy a used car), I think it's a good idea to do it as part of a preventive maintenance inspection.

And backtracking just a little bit, if you have a car that you got new and have maintained well (and really, who is on this forum that doesn't maintain their cars well?) you could probably save the hassle of dropping the pan by simply sending in the oil for analysis now and then instead.

But you're not going to hurt anything either by dropping it for a look-see at 75 or a 100,000.

Originally Posted by MichaelRS
No reason to drop the pan if the reason is getting extra oil out. As everybody else has said, pretty much a wasted effort.

HOWEVER...

If you have a car that's a few years old, or if you buy a used car (actually, especially if you buy a used car), I think it's a good idea to do it as part of a preventive maintenance inspection.

And backtracking just a little bit, if you have a car that you got new and have maintained well (and really, who is on this forum that doesn't maintain their cars well?) you could probably save the hassle of dropping the pan by simply sending in the oil for analysis now and then instead.

But you're not going to hurt anything either by dropping it for a look-see at 75 or a 100,000.

I doubt he will ever read your reply.

And why would you resurrect a nearly nine year-old thread anyway, especially one that is as trolling as this one is. Remove your oil pan to change the oil??? Why not disassemble the engine too and solvent wipe all the parts?

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Wow that's a first for me. I never knew anyone that even mentioned dropping an oil pan to get all the oil out. I've heard of people letting it drain overnight, 24 hours, pouring in a qt of oil to flush the old oil out. But dropping the pan? That's a first for me.

crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn
And why would you resurrect a nearly nine year-old thread anyway, especially one that is as trolling as this one is. Remove your oil pan to change the oil??? Why not disassemble the engine too and solvent wipe all the parts?

The comment style of the OP is very familiar.

HOWEVER...

Oh thank goodness! I'm sure the OP was waiting 9 long years for a great response and you finally came through for him! What took you so long (((cough trollll)))) cough

Engine-oil pan? Only when there is an oil leak.

ATF pan? Every time on my old car. It was the standard operating procedure to (1) remove the drain plug and drain the ATF, (2) remove the ATF pan, (3) look at the metal shavings on the magnet, (4) clean or replace the ATF strainer, (5) clean the pan, (6) reinstall the pan with a new cork gasket, (7) reinstall the drain plug with a new shiny metal gasket (kind of like a spark-plug gasket), and (8) refill with ATF (using Valvoline Dexron VI full synthetic) every time the ATF was changed at every 60,000 miles or six years. The Aisin - Warner A240L transmission was running like clockwork until they wrecked my car around ~ 276,000 miles.

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger

HOWEVER...

Oh thank goodness! I'm sure the OP was waiting 9 long years for a great response and you finally came through for him! What took you so long (((cough trollll)))) cough

Some people don't look at the post dates and don't see the time warp (9 years in this case). I've done it a few times myself, and have learned to look at the OP posted date.

seriously, remove an oil pan to get the last few drops out?? If your that worried about it, flush it. That could be as simple as putting the drain plug back in, add a liter of oil and drain, depends on how far you want to take it

Absolute oil change will not happen even if you dropped the pan. But I just changed my oil 4 days ago and 2 days ago that new Castrol Edge oil went right back in the jug for next oil change. 2 days ago put TGMO 0w-20. Kinda like a engine flush with quality oil. Why not use Supertec WalMart oil and save for next oil cycle. A Fumoto valve is really handy with a tygon tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back