Messiest oil change... ever?

2018 Subaru Forrester. The drain plug is at an angle so instead of the oil coming straight down it shoots out to the side almost impossible to gauge where to place the oil drain pan
I bet the 2017 is similar. It shoots like 2-3 feet out at first and then you have to chase the pan as it quickly lessens. It's annoying.

I wondered about the plastic pans. The 2.7L in the 2023 Colorados started with the plastic oil pan. Thankfully they changed it to a metal pan with conventional drain plug. I had to look under mine. Yep, it has the metal pan.
Metal pan and filter on the 23 twins is the easiest change ive ever done, coming from small cars. No ramps, no mess, and no plastic-pan niagara falls splash.

Crack open the drain plug until you get a heathy dribble, but no more. Allow the dribble for 3-5 min. When dribble slows, fully remove the plug. The remaining 5% of the oil won't have enough flow force to splash. A tiny bit of patience easily solves this.
That works on metal plugs, but the chevy plastic plug n pan system is pretty much all or nothing unfortunately. Horrible design.

Back