Messiest oil change... ever?

Changed the oil for the first time on my wife's lease this morning: 2023 Chevrolet Blazer with 2.0L turbo.

I've changed lots of oil in my day. I've been scalded by hot oil, had my forearms burned trying to get hard-to-reach filters off, and had oil splash off of crossmembers, sway bars, and underbody shields.

Nothing prepared me for this one. Crawled under the car and the oil filter is directly in plain sight and easy to get a wrench on. Plastic oil pan with an integrated 1/4 turn drain plug that accepts a 3/8 drive ratchet or extension. Easy.

I pulled the drain plug and I may well have unleashed Niagara Falls, except in oil.

The drain hole is at least 1/2" in diameter and is pointed straight at the ground. No laminar flow as it drained, just straight glugging and chugging (yes, the oil fill cap was removed, so there was plenty of air coming in from the top). It hit my drain pan and each glug splashed something fierce. I had oil splashing out of the drain pan and landing nearly three feet away. The floor, my clothes, the furniture pad I was laying on, my face, the underside of the car, the jack stands, everything got an oil bath.

I just sat there dumbfounded, getting splashed with oil. I tried moving the pan, hoping maybe a different angle would quell the splashing (not many angles when the oil it hitting it exactly perpendicular). In 10 seconds, it was over. All the oil had drained (the only upside is how fast it drained).

From now on, I'm going to start saving every Amazon box I get. By the time the next oil change is due, I'll probably have enough cardboard to cover the splash radius on the garage floor. Also getting one of those Tyvek suits the guys who do asbestos remediation use.

Wow…yeah good idea I like to lay boxes down and have tons. The messiest for me was when I was a teen doing my dad’s Ford. I had no pan underneath so it drained into the garage floor. Not the crankcase but what came out until I could put the plug back.

Years ago, my most brilliant and messiest oil change was on my Dodge Cummins pickup. I drained the oil okay, even though it was almost three gallons. However, I added the expensive new oil without putting the drain plug back in. The sad thing is, I know someone can beat that.
You aren't the first person on the planet to do that !

Changed the oil for the first time on my wife's lease this morning: 2023 Chevrolet Blazer with 2.0L turbo.

I just sat there dumbfounded, getting splashed with oil. I tried moving the pan, hoping maybe a different angle would quell the splashing (not many angles when the oil it hitting it exactly perpendicular). In 10 seconds, it was over. All the oil had drained (the only upside is how fast it drained).

From now on, I'm going to start saving every Amazon box I get. By the time the next oil change is due, I'll probably have enough cardboard to cover the splash radius on the garage floor. Also getting one of those Tyvek suits the guys who do asbestos remediation use.

Install one of these and your life will be much happier AFTER the next oil change.
1706371855232.jpg

I wondered about the plastic pans. The 2.7L in the 2023 Colorados started with the plastic oil pan. Thankfully they changed it to a metal pan with conventional drain plug. I had to look under mine. Yep, it has the metal pan.

"Splash radius" for some will be the garage walls!

It pays to get the catch pan as close to the drain hole as possible.

I often wonder about those "Jerry can" styled catch pans.
They lie on one side and the other side is the catch which is merely a shallow depression. It's way too cheap a design.

We'll probably see more of these plastic oil pans w/ quarter turn drain plugs as time goes on. Progress! LOL!

OP, Maybe try one of those no-splash pads to put in your pan?

Haven't tried a 2.0L but I can't get an extractor tube into the pan through the dipstick tube with my 6.2L.

Reactions: 4WD
OP, Maybe try one of those no-splash pads to put in your pan?

Haven't tried a 2.0L but I can't get an extractor tube into the pan through the dipstick tube with my 6.2L.

See, this is why I post dumb stories that are probably too long.

I've never seen these before but they look like something that I should have bought a long time ago.

Get an extractor. I have an Acadia with the same engine. Pump it out. Put a cheap foil pan under the filter. Pull it. Reinstall. Boom.

Crack open the drain plug until you get a heathy dribble, but no more. Allow the dribble for 3-5 min. When dribble slows, fully remove the plug. The remaining 5% of the oil won't have enough flow force to splash. A tiny bit of patience easily solves this.

Back