Favorite 3/8 Ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snap on make one of the best ratchets on the market, they always did. Not cheap but you get a lot of value for your money out of them, that being said the rebuild kits are always available and inexpensive.

My old girls with my favourite 3/8ths fine tooth and her little sister, both of which are much newer than the 1/2" and 3/4" ones, which are just around the end of the war vintage.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
My old girls with my favourite 3/8ths fine tooth and her little sister, both of which are much newer than the 1/2" and 3/4" ones, which are just around the end of the war vintage.

Beautiful tools...

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Beautiful tools...

Thank you
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Trav
Good value for the money and still delivering the goods after all these years! Nice.

Yup, the Snap-On guy put a kit in the 1/2" a few years ago now because the direction selector kept falling out. It's a lot tighter now.

I've yet to find a favorite. The Craftsman I've used and put up with for years is going in the trash shortly. Doesn't catch all the time if upside down.. that doesn't feel good! Tried lubing but hasn't changed. Picked up a Pittsburgh flexible head from HR this week but haven't used it enough to comment. Need to get another non-flexible but not sure what that will be. Maybe a Icon from HF.

A trip to Sears Lowe's or Ace gets a new Craftsman for more years of use at no cost except getting there.

Originally Posted by Eric Smith
I've yet to find a favorite. The Craftsman I've used and put up with for years is going in the trash shortly. Doesn't catch all the time if upside down.. that doesn't feel good! Tried lubing but hasn't changed. Picked up a Pittsburgh flexible head from HR this week but haven't used it enough to comment. Need to get another non-flexible but not sure what that will be. Maybe a Icon from HF.

Which craftsman? Can you give numbers? There are some rebuild kits for some of the older craftsman ratchets.

My latest find a circle u craftsman 1/2 drive in war production cadmium plating after cleaning and lubing it is ready for years of service.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by jakewells
My latest find a circle u craftsman 1/2 drive in war production cadmium plating after cleaning and lubing it is ready for years of service.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The handle looks a little thin and possibly painful over time with high torque bolts. I do like the width though.

Old school men from the time that Craftsman was made were stronger and tougher. They didn't complain about their tools, they worked with them and were glad they had a job.

These old ratchet photos got me thinking. I have two I inherited from my FIL. One is going to get some TLC to clean it up, and I'll post pics if I remember.

Here's an old Williams 3/8 drive, it works well.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Got these for $1.00 each today at a local fleamarket the ratchets were frozen solid but after a little work with a wire wheel and some turbine oil to the internals they are ready for my growing collection of old craftsman tools. Two of them have a oil port.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Trav
Wow talk about a small profile head for that time, Williams were always top shelf.

Yes, it is very slim. I did a little search, and came up with them getting a patent in 1934 for that model # and it probably stayed in production until the 1950's. If any of that is true it's old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back