Favorite 3/8 Ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Wright is not quality they are very good tools but it is their shortage of Metric. SAE is dead and gone except for old timers but that is what they seem to cater to, outdated designs on a lot of their stuff also.

I still need a good selection of SAE tools, and in addition to a new set of Williams SAE sockets, in 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4", I was considering a set of new wrenches. Those Wright combination wrenches are at the top of my list.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I still need a good selection of SAE tools, and in addition to a new set of Williams SAE sockets, in 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4", I was considering a set of new wrenches. Those Wright combination wrenches are at the top of my list.

I am probably going to order a set of wright grip 2.0 in metric. After looking at snap on flank drive plus, i like the wright grip combination wrenches. The SAE set is set 915.

Sure, with the Packard you have a use for them. I sold a bunch of them that were mostly duplicates a couple of years ago, Proto stuff mostly but kept enough to work on inch if I need to. Today they live in the same box as Whitworth.

Originally Posted by Trav
The problem with Wright is not quality they are very good tools but it is their shortage of Metric. SAE is dead and gone except for old timers but that is what they seem to cater to, outdated designs on a lot of their stuff also.

What metrics are they missing? Their catalog has a full line of metric sizes from what I can see.

Look for 6 point 1/2 drive metric deep chrome sockets, universal joint metric chrome 6 points, universal joint E torx sockets. I may be wrong but I couldn't find them.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-141586.html

There are some holes in their line, yeah, but you could just get those particular tools from someone else. I have no idea why they have those particular gaps, the deep chrome sockets are especially baffling as they do make them in 3/8th and 1/4th, but not 1/2, and they do sell a 6pt 1/2 deep impact line, so they've probably already got all the tooling set up to do it.

That said, I'd still put them in the top tier for ratchets and wrenches, and at a pretty good price for the quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by littlehulkster

There are some holes in their line, yeah, but you could just get those particular tools from someone else.

Then why would I buy anything from them if I have to go to another manufacturer for those, why not just buy everything from the other company? I mean they are not any better than other top shelf makes. Just playing the devils advocate.

There are some holes in their line, yeah, but you could just get those particular tools from someone else.

Then why would I buy anything from them if I have to go to another manufacturer for those, why not just buy everything from the other company? I mean they are not any better than other top shelf makes. Just playing the devils advocate.

Because you can get a 15pc set of Wright wrenches for $179 whereas a 10pc of Snap-On is $417, and the Wrights are just as good if not better. That $300 saved could buy you plenty of sockets.

On the other hand I you could buy Hazet or Stahlwille from Germany for less and they are as good as any on the market, top shelf tools. These have Hazet's version of "flank drive".
The Wright is not any better and cost more! Personally I own mostly Stahlwille, Hazet, Dowidat, elora, SK, Armstrong and Snap on and have for decades, none have ever let me down.
I recently bought some Williams made in USA stuff , nice tools at a good price.

Hazet

€171.87 = $181.21 - 19% MwSt = $146.78 +$10 Shipping = $156.78

On the other hand I you could buy Hazet or Stahlwille from Germany for less and they are as good as any on the market, top shelf tools. These have Hazet's version of "flank drive".
The Wright is not any better and cost more! Personally I own mostly Stahlwille, Hazet, Dowidat, elora, SK, Armstrong and Snap on and have for decades, none have ever let me down.
I recently bought some Williams made in USA stuff , nice tools at a good price.

Hazet

€171.87 = $181.21 - 19% MwSt = $146.78 +$10 Shipping = $156.78

Problem is, what do you do when your German wrench breaks, or you happen to get a bad one? I doubt that company maintains any warranty support in the US. If you can navigate the warranty process you might be able to send it back, but it's going to take A LOT longer than just going to the store and swapping it out.

Now your reaching. You and I both know you cant take a Wright tool to any store and exchange it. I can swap a German tool out in a couple of days if need be with nothing more than a phone call or wait til I am there and take it in myself to a tool store and change it.
Lets be realistic, there is nothing about Wright tools that make them anymore appealing than any other top shelf tool and that includes price.

Now your reaching. You and I both know you cant take a Wright tool to any store and exchange it. I can swap a German tool out in a couple of days if need be with nothing more than a phone call or wait til I am there and take it in myself to a tool store and change it.
Lets be realistic, there is nothing about Wright tools that make them anymore appealing than any other top shelf tool and that includes price.

Any store? No.

Any store that sells Wright tools? Yes.

Thing is, at least in the states, there are a lot more stores that sell Wright tools as opposed to Hazet.

I've got no problem with a German tool. I run Knipex pliers and a mix of Klein and Wera screwdrivers. They make good stuff. It's just that the local electrical supply store sells them, so if I need a tool replaced I can do it the same day. FWIW I don't often break tools, I used to run Klein pliers but the handles kept coming off, so I switched to Knipex and haven't had any break yet. I still have more than a few Kleins and they generally perform very well. I prefer their wire strippers to any other I've used, but that might be because I'm used to them.

Last edited:
No store sells Wright here, German stuff I can take to the store when I am there. Again my personal opinion but I would take either the Hazet or Stahlwille over the Wright without question.

My favorite wrenches are the Stahlwille Open Box 14. Not too short, not too long. Strong, light weight, satin finish and fit second to none. That being said, Wright wrenches are awesome too.

No store sells Wright here, German stuff I can take to the store when I am there. Again my personal opinion but I would take either the Hazet or Stahlwille over the Wright without question.

That's great, I'm sure they're fine tools, but a lot of people simply don't have the availability you'd need to run them as a professional. It's the reason Snap-On is so popular, even though they're colossally overpriced. With Snap-On, you can always have the tool you need with no costly waiting, and even better the tools will come to you. It's why Klein dominates the electrical field, because they're absolutely everywhere. I doubt there's an electrical supply store in America that doesn't sell Klein tools.

I'm not a professional mechanic, so I don't really worry about it, but if I was I wouldn't want to wait days or weeks for the tool I need to finish the job.

Last edited:

That's great, I'm sure they're fine tools, but a lot of people simply don't have the availability you'd need to run them as a professional. It's the reason Snap-On is so popular, even though they're colossally overpriced. With Snap-On, you can always have the tool you need with no costly waiting, and even better the tools will come to you. It's why Klein dominates the electrical field, because they're absolutely everywhere. I doubt there's an electrical supply store in America that doesn't sell Klein tools.

I'm not a professional mechanic, so I don't really worry about it, but if I was I wouldn't want to wait days or weeks for the tool I need to finish the job.

Spot on!

Its no problem, most mechanics have multiples of common hand tools, a broken tool is not bringing an end to the job or a hardship just another dip in the tool box. To this day I have not broken a Hazet or Stahlwille wrench and I have been using some of them daily for over 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back