Favorite 3/8 Ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RyanY
Another vote for SK. This one is my go-to for most jobs. Less drag than Snap On and no lever to get knocked around in tight spaces.

That ratchet that is in the very top right of your pictures just like the one I bought over 50 years ago. I LOVE it. The mechanism wore out like 20 years ago, and the SK dealer just handed me a new mechanism. and it is like new again.

Originally Posted by old1
Originally Posted by RyanY
Another vote for SK. This one is my go-to for most jobs. Less drag than Snap On and no lever to get knocked around in tight spaces.

That ratchet that is in the very top right of your pictures just like the one I bought over 50 years ago. I LOVE it. The mechanism wore out like 20 years ago, and the SK dealer just handed me a new mechanism. and it is like new again.

The one in the top right is actually a Snap On and is my go-to 1/4" unit...so far I haven't wore it out but no telling what will happen in the future! The swivel head is great and works like a ratchet, screwdriver, or anything between.

I saw Leo99's post above refers to a 3/8 version of that from HF, so I plan to check it out next time I go there.

15788465251547868401251172926489.jpg

Last edited:
I have a snap on F-731 ratchet, flex head. Is this a sealed head ratchet? Or should i dunk it in atf too?

IMG_20200112_113714987.jpg

IMG_20200112_113720008.jpg

Last edited:
Another vote for the HF swivel/roto ratchet in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2. Its my go to ratchet and the price is great. The grip does wear from cheater bars and you cant grease it but I no longer feel the need to use regular ratchets.

I have a Snap On 3/8 drive with a swivel head and orange comfort grip handle that I've had for probably thirty years. It's my go to. It's relatively short.

Spasm, that one is not sealed.

The F731 is not sealed, sure toss the head part right in a can of ATF once in a while after using it. ATF protect gears and is often used in place of MTF in transmissions so a ratchet is no problem.
Non sealed are great for doing this to as you don't need to keep taking it apart just let it drain on an old shop rag, wipe and use.

I also have this Wera ratchet on the top which is thin and nice. It has the best feel of any ratchet I have.

My dad gave me this long handled Craftsman flex head. I find it useful as you can rotate the handle 90 degrees and zip on/off things.

The ratchet on the bottom is a toothless Kobalt. The sockets that came with it come in handy for odd things like garage door square drive bits.
Still available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Kobalt-14-Piece-Direct-Ratchet-0607975/dp/B00QDBD38G

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
1981 Craftsman.

You mean one of these, I assume:
[Linked Image from picclickimg.com]

Clearly my favorite as well. Vastly superior, except in places there the head is so big that it won't fit.

That and the Craftsman swivel head ratchet with the long handle:

Originally Posted by sloinker
I saw someone mention Gear Wrench. The Gear Wrench ratchets and combos I have had have been pure junk. I brought a few back to Sears in the past for warranty replacement when they gave up through normal use and no abuse. I have Mac's,Husky's,Craftsman,HF and they are all far superior to anything Gear Wrench ever produced. I have to say for bang for the buck it's Husky. My best ratchet in 3/8" is a Mac that I found next to the road a couple decades ago.

I've heard good things about GearWrench 120XP ratchet's and the reviews on amazon look good too.

Originally Posted by eljefino
72 tooth Kobalt with a flex handle, and it's about 14 inches long.

Close 2nd is a stubby.

I think I have that one; it's a 72 tooth Kobalt long handle flex head from a "spark plug and tuneup kit". I think it's just a bit over 11". It's my fave in 3/8" drive.

In 1/4" drive, I like the HF swivel heads; I have a normal and a stubby. Great for flexing to get around an obstacle in a tight spot or for zipping out small fasteners in nutdriver-mode.

In 1/2", I have a Williams S53 Superratchet that can deliver a lot of torque.

Don't understand all the SK love, they make nice tools with lovely chrome but I'm just not a fan of the ratchets.

This flex head Stahlwille comes in handy. Also nice superfine ratchet action. But still never been a fan of the cushion grips in many German ratchets.

[Linked Image]

Older Wright, Armstrong, Craftsman fine tooth, HF composite, older SK, HF's PP fine tooth, these are some of the finest ratchets I've used, and used a lot. I don't care much for GW tools, nor SO. I've probably used my ratchets quite a bit more than most, and I know what I like. People make light of HF, but I have removed suspension parts with my HF PP pro ratchet and a long pipe breaker bar and it has never faltered in the least. I'd stack it up against anything, and because it's priced far less than most it gets the abuse and takes it. I used to work where the SO guy came in every week or so, and I never bought the BS and sales pitch, what a scam. I knew guys who owed their souls to SO, and it's a shame.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Stanley extendable ratchet. Its the cheapest ratchet in my tool drawer, but I use it the most. When I extend the handle, I can get serious torque on the fastener. Should be reaching for a 1/2 drive, but I just beat the snot out of it, and it never fails. Ive owned one of these ratchets for over 15 years. I flat wore the last one out. I called Stanley and asked to buy a rebuild kit. They told me to throw my current ratchet in the trash, and they sent me a brand new one, for free. Great service, wonderful even, considering the price point of the tool.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/STANLEY-STMT72418-Extendable-Ratchet/36132572

That one (love it) and a 1968 SK get the most use from me.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
1981 Craftsman.

You mean one of these, I assume:
[Linked Image from picclickimg.com]

Clearly my favorite as well. Vastly superior, except in places there the head is so big that it won't fit.

That and the Craftsman swivel head ratchet with the long handle:

I have one as well, a well made ratchet.

My SK long flex, 35 years old and still in daily use. A bit like Grandad's axe, I've replaced the ratchet and handle, but the head is original. The SK replaced a stolen Champion branded one...I guess SK made them for Champion Sparkplugs. They were for sparkplug work, good leverage and fast. This is not mine.

[Linked Image from i.etsystatic.com]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back