Favorite 3/8 Ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I like SK, there seems to be various levels of quality throughout the years. My grandpas early 60's 1/4" is smooth. I found a 3/8 for $2 at a swap meet that is extremely rough.

This one specifies SK Wayne as in Wayne Pumps. (Fort Wayne, Indiana)

Originally Posted by dlundblad
As much as I like SK, there seems to be various levels of quality throughout the years. My grandpas early 60's 1/4" is smooth. I found a 3/8 for $2 at a swap meet that is extremely rough.

This one specifies SK Wayne as in Wayne Pumps. (Fort Wayne, Indiana)

My $5 ebay one is a bit rough, I also have an identical one my dad bought brand new that is hardly used and is super smooth. Judging by the nicks in the finish on the $5 one, and how I've used it with a pipe quite frequently on stuck rusty bolts, I'm thinking the inner bits aren't in the best condition.
lol.gif

My go to is a long handled flex head GW 120XP.

Second go to is probably my $12 HF ratchet.

How do you like the GW 120XP? Would you recommend it? I was thinking about buying a set of 120xp's but afraid that the fine tooth might be an issue with a cheaper brand.

Originally Posted by diyjake

How do you like the GW 120XP? Would you recommend it? I was thinking about buying a set of 120xp's but afraid that the fine tooth might be an issue with a cheaper brand.

I was also looking at that 120 set. I've read mixed reviews about GW, though. I'm going by HF this weekend to look at their Icon brand. They seem to get a lot of good reviews.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by diyjake

I love it. The chrome is pretty much scratched off at this point and it's pretty dingy looking, but mechanically it's pretty sound. For the longest time I was worried the pin inside the swivel was the weak link, but it hasn't been the case yet. Toughest job torque wise I've done with it was hub bearing bolts I'd say.

I ended up buying the set from Tool Topia. 1/4", 3/8" stubby (like 5"), 3/8" long handled, and 1/2" long handled. $100. All are swivel heads. I only really use the 1/4" and 3/8" long.

The others were a bit of a waste IMO. The non locking swivel head and high torque seen when using the 1/2" makes it a real pain. I've only really used it once and it made the job more difficult. Lol.

Last edited:
I got a 3-piece set (1/4, 3/8, and 1/2) of Husky full-polish 72 tooth ratchets on sale a few years ago at Home Depot.
[Linked Image]

I think they're excellent for the price. Lifetime warranty at any store with no receipt. Bought another flex-head 3/8" because I liked the first one so much.

Originally Posted by E365
I got a 3-piece set (1/4, 3/8, and 1/2) of Husky full-polish 72 tooth ratchets on sale a few years ago at Home Depot.
[Linked Image]

I think they're excellent for the price. Lifetime warranty at any store with no receipt. Bought another flex-head 3/8" because I liked the first one so much.

I have to agree with you on this ^^^^^

The Husky six point drive set I got recently with their 144 point drive 3/8 and 1/4 ratchets are quite good I believe.

I had to replace a Kobalt 3/8 drive ratchet I somehow lost... I'm a World Champion by the way... I got a Duralast 72 tooth ratchet... I like this one for what it is.

My favorite and most used 3/8" ratchet is made by Metrinch. I've had this tool kit that includes the ratchet for about 25 years and use it all of the time. The end of the direction selector broke off a few years ago but you can still use it.

Snap-on makes/sells them that way now Jeff......Back in the day, We would put a FM-70 kit in a TM-711 ratchet body. Curious if that's what your brother did?

Looks like your older ratchets are from the 80's, What's the model number?

The FCF936 & FCF72 are the modern ones that Snap-on made....There may be a earlier model though?

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Snap-on makes/sells them that way now Jeff......Back in the day, We would put a FM-70 kit in a TM-711 ratchet body. Curious if that's what your brother did?

Looks like your older ratchets are from the 80's, What's the model number?

The FCF936 & FCF72 are the modern ones that Snap-on made....There may be a earlier model though?

I inherited most of my tools from my older brother Greg who owned Comprehensive Mechanics in Santa Cruz, CA.
I have a large Snap On rollaway and his smaller pull around rollaway.
Greg got cancer and died at 44 in 1995. He left me his hand tools.
There was 1 mechanic, Earl, who was with him from the start. I gave Earl many of the tools; mainly the 1/4" stuff.
Also, how many Snap On torque wrenches do I need?

So I don't know anything about model numbers and such.
Real mechanics say I have about $20K worth of tools in my garage.
Funny thing, Greg was known as the only sober mechanic in Santa Cruz.
He died with 12 years of sobriety after many years of drug and alcohol abuse.

Originally Posted by Trav
Nice tools but its a shame the way you got them. Sorry to about your brother.

Greg was considered the Santa Cruz Monterrey Bay go to guy for Porsche 356 bathtub engine rebuilds as well as early 911 an 912.
He had a small stash of the 4 cylinder crankshafts which seemed hard to find.

He built me a Pontiac 400 cu in torque monster for my '73 Fire Chicken. Maybe best car I ever had.
Really fun to drive... Strong!

I have his engine building measurement tools and don't have a clue how to use them.
Truth be told, these tools should be in the hands of a skilled mechanic.
Not a busted knuckle guy like me. But they sure are nice...
My favorite is his big old Bonney torque wrench. 30 to 250 pound/feet baby!
Lugs are nothing easy with this bad boy...

15811294982615959840236009697815.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Wright or Indestro ratchets, the ones with metal handles with KNURLING.

I think Wright is a criminally underrated brand in general, they make legitimately top quality tools at a price much less than Snap-On. Their wrenches, in particular, are every bit as good or better than Snap-On and half the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back