Recommended Oil For 2019 Mazda CX-5 2.5L Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought the Fram XG7317....that will have more media even though it has an ADBV....its silicone and the efficiency is a lot better....the mazda filters have gone up in price and are now almost always the 'Mazda Value Line'....whatever that means. Nitrile ADBV and small....for a couple of bucks difference I'm going with the XG, out of warranty anyway now.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
I just bought the Fram XG7317....that will have more media even though it has an ADBV....its silicone and the efficiency is a lot better....the mazda filters have gone up in price and are now almost always the 'Mazda Value Line'....whatever that means. Nitrile ADBV and small....for a couple of bucks difference I'm going with the XG, out of warranty anyway now.

That will probably work, the only thing I'd be wary of is the bypass pressure. Skyactiv filters are different in that regard from most.

Yes - I'm not that concerned, I'm not hoping to be in bypass much with more filter area, so I can get filtered oil

Yes - I'm not that concerned, I'm not hoping to be in bypass much with more filter area, so I can get filtered oil

For what it's worth these engines are proving to be pretty reliable, and I'd wager that the vast majority of them get whatever filter is cheapest at the Quick-E-Lube. I dont think companies like Fram would specify their filter as suitable for the engines if they weren't sure it was at least good enough. Otherwise, they'd get sued.

Thanks for the information all! Whenever my next oil change comes up I'll most likely pick up more Pennzoil Plat or Ultra Plat depending on availability and if there are any rebates, or Mobil 1 from costco. There's not necessarily any detriment to using one oil for one change and a different oil for the next change, correct?

Not a problem at all. I've used Valvoline both Advanced Synthetic and Modern Engine and Havoline Pro DS in mine.

Originally Posted by manfurismojive
Thanks for the information all! Whenever my next oil change comes up I'll most likely pick up more Pennzoil Plat or Ultra Plat depending on availability and if there are any rebates, or Mobil 1 from costco. There's not necessarily any detriment to using one oil for one change and a different oil for the next change, correct?

No.

It will be fine. Assuming you're not running some counterfeit dollar store motor oil any SN+ rated 5w-30 synthetic will be perfectly adequate.

Why the 5w30 spec for this Mazda when every other Skyactiv motor calls for 0w20? Extra heat from the turbo?

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Why the 5w30 spec for this Mazda when every other Skyactiv motor calls for 0w20? Extra heat from the turbo?

It's for the turbo.

Also - for the 0W-20 Skyactiv, manual says that for US & Canada only - Mexico and all others 5W-30....

I'm now using motul 8100 eco lite 5w30 in my non turbo2.5 cx5 and the car seems to be idling smoother and getting up to temperature faster then the previous magnatec stop start I've used before.
also doing very short trips 80%of the time and changing twice a year. 8100 is a solid synthetic oil with hths of 3.3 and is way cheaper than the m1 like a third of the price also its an sn,ilsac gf5 and d1gn2.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster

That will probably work, the only thing I'd be wary of is the bypass pressure. Skyactiv filters are different in that regard from most.

I think the frame filter's (6607 and the 7317) are 13 psi bypass. I don't know what the OEM filter is. Is there an issue if the filter bypass is much higher? Would a higher bypass mean more oil goes through the filter when cold?

I will repeat the stated bypass of the wix 57002 filter that is supposedly made to the mazda spec of no ADBV and 22PSI bypass. I am not looking to spend any big lengths of time - if any - on bypass, so am not worried about it. I will also stick in the 5W-30 like the rest of the world and take my chances with that as well.
smile.gif

I will repeat the stated bypass of the wix 57002 filter that is supposedly made to the mazda spec of no ADBV and 22PSI bypass. I am not looking to spend any big lengths of time - if any - on bypass, so am not worried about it. I will also stick in the 5W-30 like the rest of the world and take my chances with that as well.
smile.gif

I am also running 0w30 and 5w 30 in my non turbo 2.5g. I have no fear of doing this.

Also - for the 0W-20 Skyactiv, manual says that for US & Canada only - Mexico and all others 5W-30....

Well, yes and no. In the charts for the rest of the world, 5w30 is shown as an option along 0w20. Outside of maybe the middle east and Australia, Mazda is saying to use 0w20 OR 5w30, and will warrant the use of either oil.

So I don't think running the 0w20 is a problem. Especially if you live somewhere very cold like I do.

No I don't think its a problem either - because as you said, they are recommendations (especially the 0W-20 "for optimum performance"). Heck - like you said, in a cold climate it might be better.

For me - I have no doubt that 5W-30 will suit my climate (HOT) better.

Hm unfortunately the Pennzoil rebates this year don't include any recognizable participating stores near me, though the PUP's normal price is about $4.20 / quart for me. Mobil1 at costco comes out to around $4.78 / quart. I read earlier in the thread that the Shell Rotella gas truck 5w-30 rebates are still going on, and it looks like $2.31 / quart after rebate. I think I found the oil for my next 4 oil changes haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back