First oil change 2024 CX-5

I don't know about the normally aspirated 2.5L Mazda Skyactiv engine, but for the turbo versions there has been a lot of discussion on the Mazda CX 5 Forum regarding whether or not aftermarket oil filters have similar ADB valves as the factory filters.

My 2019 CX 5 has the turbo engine and I change the oil & filter every 5000 miles. I would love to use one of the premium aftermarket filters like the Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 and only change the filter every other oil change. But I'd need to be assured that it would perform the same way the OEM filter does with regards to the ADB valve.

I would also run an oversized filter. The price is the same and there may be a slight advantage in filtering surface area. Plus a little more oil capacity. I can't see how it would hurt.

But before you use a non-OEM filter I would do some research.

Ya know that motor oil you're putting in there? From one of those big box stores, isn't it? Motor oil is the lifeblood of a car. Ya put in a low-grade oil you can damage vital engine parts, okay?

Here's what I wanna do. I want to overhaul the entire engine. But it's gonna take a major commitment from you. You're gonna have to keep it under 60 miles an hour for a while. Ya gotta come in and ya gotta get the oil changed every 1000 miles.

I did my first oil change on my 2024 CX-5. It now has 1,113 miles on it.

Used a factory oil filter and Mobil 1 0w-20

Now what do I do next?

Do I do
+2000 at 3000
+3000 at 6000
+4000 at 10000
Then every 5000

OR
+4000 at 5,000
Then every 5000
Exactly my plan is your second.

First OC at about 1,000-1,500. Then another at 5K. Then every 5K.

I did my first oil change on my 2024 CX-5. It now has 1,113 miles on it.

Used a factory oil filter and Mobil 1 0w-20

Now what do I do next?

Do I do
+2000 at 3000
+3000 at 6000
+4000 at 10000
Then every 5000

OR
+4000 at 5,000
Then every 5000
I was introduced to this Forum by a Youtube video where "Bob is the Oil Guy" changed his daughter's new car oil at 500 miles and got an analysis by Blackstone Laboratories. That's what I intended to do, but at 884 miles now, I hope to extract a sample using the oil sampling pump acquired from Blackstone at 1000 miles, and take advantage of the dealer's free first oil change as soon as I can get an appointment. Bob has me thinking the early oil analysis is great info to have. My 2.0L MPI engine specifies a 600 mile break-in period, 0W-20 ILSAC GF-6 and warns against Ethanol blended fuel, but says Unleaded 87 octane or higher with Ethanol less than 15% is OK because the EPA says it is. I live in a city so I'll follow the "severe" maintenance schedule that specifies 5000 mile/ 6 month Oil changes.

I don't know about the normally aspirated 2.5L Mazda Skyactiv engine, but for the turbo versions there has been a lot of discussion on the Mazda CX 5 Forum regarding whether or not aftermarket oil filters have similar ADB valves as the factory filters.

My 2019 CX 5 has the turbo engine and I change the oil & filter every 5000 miles. I would love to use one of the premium aftermarket filters like the Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 and only change the filter every other oil change. But I'd need to be assured that it would perform the same way the OEM filter does with regards to the ADB valve.

I would also run an oversized filter. The price is the same and there may be a slight advantage in filtering surface area. Plus a little more oil capacity. I can't see how it would hurt.

But before you use a non-OEM filter I would do some research.
Mazda filters do NOT have an ADBV. It's mounted vertically do an ADBV isn't needed.

Back