(HPL) Oil recommendations on a new engine design - '24 Mazda CX-90 I-6 Turbo

I mentioned in another post that we traded our '21 CX-9 for a new '24 CX-90 about a week ago. We went with the standard output 280hp inline 6 turbo. As this is a brand new engine and 8 speed transmission Per the owners manual, the USA/Canada recommendation is 0W20 API and Mexico/other countries is 5W30 API.

Being a brand new engine, I'm thinking a UOA at 5 when the initial factory fill is drained is in order to check levels of fuel dilution or any unique characteristics I'm a fan of HPL for a variety of reasons so my first instinct is to go with their (in my mind) flagship oil - Euro No VII 5W30. However, after doing some more reading I could run their @OVERKILL OW20 that that gentleman spec'ed.

As we less than 200 miles in the first week or so of ownership this is more of a thought experiment than urgent matter. I work for the dealer group so I've also thought about running the Mazda brand 0W20 GF-5 with Moly as we have it in stock and I could spec it during the first OCI at a reasonable price.

Thoughts?

IMG_2767.jpeg

I would take the mazda oil with moly. Valvoline's high moly content has served me well so I keep using it. Runs quiet and smooth.

I personally would wait until the engine is broken in good, and you have a good idea what fuel dilution levels will be.

If the fuel dilution is high, then 3k to 5k intervals are the best bet. And I would want a more economical product in that scenario.

As for viscosity (0W-20 or 5W-30), flip a coin.

Reactions: pbm
Back