(HPL) Oil recommendations on a new engine design - '24 Mazda CX-90 I-6 Turbo

I mentioned in another post that we traded our '21 CX-9 for a new '24 CX-90 about a week ago. We went with the standard output 280hp inline 6 turbo. As this is a brand new engine and 8 speed transmission Per the owners manual, the USA/Canada recommendation is 0W20 API and Mexico/other countries is 5W30 API.

Being a brand new engine, I'm thinking a UOA at 5 when the initial factory fill is drained is in order to check levels of fuel dilution or any unique characteristics I'm a fan of HPL for a variety of reasons so my first instinct is to go with their (in my mind) flagship oil - Euro No VII 5W30. However, after doing some more reading I could run their @OVERKILL OW20 that that gentleman spec'ed.

As we less than 200 miles in the first week or so of ownership this is more of a thought experiment than urgent matter. I work for the dealer group so I've also thought about running the Mazda brand 0W20 GF-5 with Moly as we have it in stock and I could spec it during the first OCI at a reasonable price.

Thoughts?
I'm in a similar boat. I don't want to get a vehicle that I'm stuck with a dealer only part. Unfortunately, in the turbo s model, the internal engine stress is higher and Mexico has a mysterious 5W-30 API SM recommendation. That didn't happen just because they run a 'different' engine in Mexico, they don't. As I encounter mountain driving and towing, this puts more extended periods of high percentage throttle stress on the engine, just the thing that causes a thinner grade of oil to allow ring to cylinder bore contact. I will be running a Mobil 1 0W-30 ESP in mine at all times unless Mazda directly states it will not support the warranty. In that case, they can consider my order for their vehicle canceled. It's time to stop playing these games with people who are pushing an EPA fuel agenda at the cost of longevity and reliability.

We have the standard 280hp I-6T trim and you are correct that the Turbo S trim is only different in tuning and not any different in parts. As this is primary my wife’s car/our family vehicle it’s not going to be overly stressed. I did a break in OCI at around 800 miles with some HPL 5w30 “just for fun” and will send that sample off to Oil Analyzers next week at the first service appt with it having about 5600 miles on it at around 6 months.

My wife returns to office 3 days a week starting later this month so she’ll be driving 30 miles interstate each way which will be pretty easy on the car so I decided to just go with a 3 year oil change / tire rotation package at the dealership (I work there) and have it done with their bulk oil (Mobil Super) 0W20 that is recommended every 5k miles. We trade cars every 2-3 years so I’m not really concerned about a problem causing the engine to explode at 300k miles.

Back