5w-20 ok for GMC 6.2l ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jayg
He's been here 3 months and is on a mission to change the world clearly.
More attacks? You're too strange.
You have no facts on your side, so you make this your bizarre trolling attack instead.
Reported as such to the moderators.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by crj19

0W-20 is specified and has been proven to not have any negative effects on engine wear.

Utterly and completely incorrect.

Please provide further information. Fleet vehicles are operated thousands of hours a year in horrid conditions with the recommended grade and 0W20 is the grade for some and there rarely is engine failure.

Originally Posted by dave1251

0W-20 is specified and has been proven to not have any negative effects on engine wear.

Please provide further information. Fleet vehicles are operated thousands of hours a year in horrid conditions with the recommended grade and 0W20 is the grade for some and there rarely is engine failure.

I've grown tired of doing so, as this subject comes up over and over and over again. Look at the Ford timing chain failures, the GM balancer and timing chain failures, Hyundai/Kia engine and chain failures, the list is nearly endless.

Once again, good results happen when owners choose a quality oil of sufficient viscosity and change it regularly, likely at the severe service interval. Today's direct injection engines contaminate water thin oil with fuel, fuel by products and soot, owners then expect to go double a normal oil change interval "just because" then owners wonder why they have expensive repair bills. It really is that simple.

Originally Posted by jdw1222
I have to change oil in our GMC 6.2L I have a bunch of 5w-20 that I picked up that I would like to use if possible. I have always used 5w-30 in it.

Can I use the 5w-20 without any issue or is it too thin? this is a 2011 with 140K on it

I thought maybe I could mix a couple Qts of 15w-40 rotella that I have here to thicken it up a little, or this a bad idea?

I would mix 50/50 especially with 140K miles.

I did the same on my Accord at a higher mileage, I get the same gas mileage.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Proven how ?

^Yes - I wonder proven how too.

This thread and many others like it have so much opinion, we are lacking of facts.

Originally Posted by dave1251

I've grown tired of doing so, as this subject comes up over and over and over again. Look at the Ford timing chain failures, the GM balancer and timing chain failures, Hyundai/Kia engine and chain failures, the list is nearly endless.

Once again, good results happen when owners choose a quality oil of sufficient viscosity and change it regularly, likely at the severe service interval. Today's direct injection engines contaminate water thin oil with fuel, fuel by products and soot, owners then expect to go double a normal oil change interval "just because" then owners wonder why they have expensive repair bills. It really is that simple.

Says the guy who always labels Xw20 as "water thin". I'm sure you're unbiased.

I have a 5w20 car I switched to 5w30 after 100k … figure with some wear there is more clearance …
My two L83's are spec'd for 0w20 and that generation had several physical changes before dropping 5w30
After warranty … 5w30 will be tested for MPG delta … and go from there. Not worried in the meantime

Originally Posted by wemay

My attempt at humor does nothing to change the facts.

Engines designed for thin oils, using coated pistons, sufficient bearing area and other robust parts do just fine. Engines built using conventional dimensions, methodologies and components from yesterday may suffer, especially with extended drain intervals.

Engines designed for thin oils, using coated pistons, sufficient bearing area and other robust parts do just fine. Engines built using conventional dimensions, methodologies and components from yesterday may suffer, especially with extended drain intervals.

I can agree to that.
thumbsup2.gif

+1

Not sure why one could not use a 5w20 where a 0w20 is spec'd by the OEM. Both are 20 weight oils. The only instance I could see where I would always stick with 0w20 would be if I lived in Fairbanks Alaska or similar type of severe cold. Even in the summer in Fairbanks I would have no problem using 5w20. Where I live, central Iowa, I would just use 5w20 year round if my motor called for a 20 weight oil. I lived in the interior of Alaska for 10 years and I never used a 0wXX in anything. I had no problem.

There is several dozen approved Dexos 1 Gen 2 5w20 oils on the list. I would just use a 5w20 and not worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back