New old stock 2014 Ford Raptor w/ 6.2L - should the oil viscosity be upped to 5w-40?

Ford loves to run 5w-20 in everything to meet the CAFE. Noticed on some of their higher performance engines they spec 5w-40.

Curious of 5w-20 is still ok to use being this is a factory 6.2L raptor engine that the truck was then sent from ford to rousch to install a whipple roots blower. My friend is then installing an overdrive pulley, colder plugs, and a larger polished throttle body, with of course an aggressive tune.

With all that stress, it would be a good idea to choose a robust oil with a higher HTHS than the semi-syn 5W-20 that Ford spec's (many 5W-20 oils have an HTHS of 2.7-2.8, not exactly sure on the Motorcraft oil, but guess it is similar). What does Roush say to use with that setup? I'd use at least a full synthetic, 5W-30 and change it frequently. Maybe even consider a boutique oil for some extra HTHS cushion.

I like to see HTHS up over 3.3-3.5 if possible on highly stressed engines. Or conversely, a quality thinner oil with a very well engineered oil temperature management system. Which typically requires a dry sump oiling system and large coolers with active thermostatic control.

Ford loves to run 5w-20 in everything to meet the CAFE. Noticed on some of their higher performance engines they spec 5w-40.

Curious of 5w-20 is still ok to use being this is a factory 6.2L raptor engine that the truck was then sent from ford to rousch to install a whipple roots blower. My friend is then installing an overdrive pulley, colder plugs, and a larger polished throttle body, with of course an aggressive tune.

Mobil 1 0w-40.

I would ask rousch their recommendation but mine would be a definite yes.. to thicker.

Of course many times the high recommendation is for extended high output.. such as track or autocross use.. doubt anyone is tracking a raptor.

Ford only specs 5W40 in the US on diesels. They don't even offer a Motorcraft 5W40 for gas engines in the US. They do have 5W50 for the higher performance vehicles.

You should get a packet from Roush that has that info in it. Or I should say they used to give you a user's manual, it's been a decade since I was in the market. It will talk about everything they did, list part numbers, and any changes from the Ford owners manual will be called out. I looked at a '13 Roush Mustang that had it prominently displayed on the front seat when I was considering it. Glad I didn't buy it, son wrecked the regular Mustang I ended up buying.

Where in the name of all tarnation did you find a '14 NOS? That's an incredible find, the end of the best looking F150 generation IMO, at least interior wise. I like the 2018+ gen 13's on the outside, but man did I love the interior on the 12.

I wish it was mine.........The deal fell in his lap literally.

Will pursue and see what rousch says..

His one truck has the rousch centrifugal blower (forgot who makes it), and all the performance upgrades, its nice and powerful and has been excellent with over 100k on it. This beast has the roots whipple as its a shelby edition that rousch outfitted. Sounds much nicer. The whine from the roots blower makes you think your in the cab of an old EMD loco with a rocket blaster mounted to it!!

Love the 6.2 Raptors! Had a 14. Just before I went to a larger tire. Definitely my favorite truck I've ever owned.
1000007650.jpg

I ran 5w-40 but I wish I could have afforded a blower. Got into enough trouble NA with an intake, exhaust and premium fuel tune. God I miss that truck.

I wish it was mine.........The deal fell in his lap literally.

Will pursue and see what rousch says..

His one truck has the rousch centrifugal blower (forgot who makes it), and all the performance upgrades, its nice and powerful and has been excellent with over 100k on it. This beast has the roots whipple as its a shelby edition that rousch outfitted. Sounds much nicer. The whine from the roots blower makes you think your in the cab of an old EMD loco with a rocket blaster mounted to it!!
I personally love the Roots whine. I do understand that everyone has different sensibilities when it comes to opinions about car stuff. To me, it just sounds like raw horsepower and a day at the drag strip with my Dad. Tire smoke smells like those 2 things, if that makes any sense. 🙂

I'd be doing a 30 or 40 weight. especially if drive it like intended......

I personally love the Roots whine. I do understand that everyone has different sensibilities when it comes to opinions about car stuff. To me, it just sounds like raw horsepower and a day at the drag strip with my Dad. Tire smoke smells like those 2 things, if that makes any sense. 🙂
I remember when people started changing out their timing chains to gear drives so they could get that blower whine sound. Then they would bolt on a huge hood scoop 😉 It always sounded to me like a power steering pump was going, not even close to the sound of a Roots blower running a cogged belt drive.😂

Back