Buying Used BMW Checklist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most BMWs that would be economically realistic for most of us are volume production cars with a substantial base of ownership experience available on the boards that specialize in them.
It's probably easier to find the pitfalls and fixes required with a BMW than would be the case with a prospective Impala, Camry or Sonata.
As with any car, there are MYs and powertrains best avoided, but any BMW purchase should be no more daunting than would be the purchase of any plain Jane Japanese, Korean or American nameplate.
Full service history is desirable with any used car as is full knowledge of the potential issues and what they cost to fix.
The Germans do generally design and build solid engines and the same cannot be said of every other maker.
For the record, we've had two old BMWs and four old Benzes and five out of six of these cars have proven to be as reliable and cheap to own as any Honda Accord and we've had six of those.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Most BMWs that would be economically realistic for most of us are volume production cars with a substantial base of ownership experience available on the boards that specialize in them.
It's probably easier to find the pitfalls and fixes required with a BMW than would be the case with a prospective Impala, Camry or Sonata.
As with any car, there are MYs and powertrains best avoided, but any BMW purchase should be no more daunting than would be the purchase of any plain Jane Japanese, Korean or American nameplate.
Full service history is desirable with any used car as is full knowledge of the potential issues and what they cost to fix.
The Germans do generally design and build solid engines and the same cannot be said of every other maker.
For the record, we've had two old BMWs and four old Benzes and five out of six of these cars have proven to be as reliable and cheap to own as any Honda Accord and we've had six of those.

Exactly!

I have had 2 used BMWs still have a 98 328i 5 speed. No matter the mileage BMWs will have problems. Mine checked out 100% at a mechanic had about 75k miles and has had tons of repairs. Now at 179k. 2 head gaskets, 1 head, vanos rebuild, filter housing gasket, vanos hydraulic line, heater hose, 3 power steering pumps, alternator, idlers, water pump, radiator, hoses, 3 seat gear repairs, window channel repair, sun roof repair, trunk wiring/ turn signal repair, clutch, front calipers, 1 rear wheel bearing, MAF boot, 2 batteries. I think that's it. Compared to our old 99 Camry 250k miles, 2 timing belts, 1 brake change, battery every 4 years like a clock, fluid changes that's it. Huge difference.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
I have had 2 used BMWs still have a 98 328i 5 speed. No matter the mileage BMWs will have problems. Mine checked out 100% at a mechanic had about 75k miles and has had tons of repairs. Now at 179k. 2 head gaskets, 1 head, vanos rebuild, filter housing gasket, vanos hydraulic line, heater hose, 3 power steering pumps, alternator, idlers, water pump, radiator, hoses, 3 seat gear repairs, window channel repair, sun roof repair, trunk wiring/ turn signal repair, clutch, front calipers, 1 rear wheel bearing, MAF boot, 2 batteries. I think that's it. Compared to our old 99 Camry 250k miles, 2 timing belts, 1 brake change, battery every 4 years like a clock, fluid changes that's it. Huge difference.

IDK man, I clocked 478k km (or so) on 2009 E61 525d and it had two water pumps (preventive), with thermostat (one failed, stayed in open position which is what happens when they fail on M57 engine), one EGR, three transmission fluid changes, three TC changes, twice differential fluid changes.
As for batteries, it had one AGM battery replaced as prevention.
As for Toyota and batteries, I just had one failed on 2015 Sienna. Toyota found appropriate to put 62ah battery in a car that has two power sliding doors, power lift gate. My wife's Tiguan has 72ah battery and no power doors etc. Next to that stupid TPMS ID coding, it is absolute achievement to put such battery in a family minivan where everything runs on power. One thing that Toyota did on Land Cruiser I own in Europe is two 75ah batteries. They did though forget to put suspension on a car.

Last edited:
Forgot, just replaced the Secondary air injection valve and pump.... the Euro BMW's must be on another level

I had same engine in X5 35d here in the US, just one with two turbos. SCR on that vehicle is a problem, but that is across the board in industry, it is not confined to BMW. Mechanically, in 116k miles, I had one thermostat almost failed (started to stay open, usually running at around 80c on HWY). Actually, for all worries about electronics in BMW's, I managed to "melt" 20lbs of ice in the trunk. Water soaked battery and electronics around. I was on a road trip, total 5,114mls. Last leg from Ft. Smith, Ak to Colorado Springs, I put cooler in the back. Since X5 has that tailgate I pushed cooler and that drain cap detached. So ice melted somewhere north of Wichita, just before I will hit I70. I get CEL, indicating something around battery. I stop in first rest stop, open trunk and everything is drenched in water. Nothing happened. It dried out in two days, like it never happened.

Originally Posted by edyvw
As for Toyota and batteries, I just had one failed on 2015 Sienna. Toyota found appropriate to put 62ah battery in a car that has two power sliding doors, power lift gate. My wife's Tiguan has 72ah battery and no power doors etc. Next to that stupid TPMS ID coding, it is absolute achievement to put such battery in a family minivan where everything runs on power.
What are you complaining about? You got 5 years out of an OEM battery mounted in the engine compartment. Up to now, has the battery gone dead on you and failed to start the van because of power equipment use?
You just can't find ANYTHING that you like about your Sienna. For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would keep a vehicle that they hate so much.

I've owned 12 BMWs since 1983 and aside from a transfer case on my E83 X3 2.5i I haven't had a really expensive repair such as you have described. Yes, I've replaced a couple of radiators and water pumps, not to mention a couple of valve cover and oil filter housing gaskets but nothing really major. Certainly nothing extreme enough to force me to drive something less engaging.

Originally Posted by wag123
As for Toyota and batteries, I just had one failed on 2015 Sienna. Toyota found appropriate to put 62ah battery in a car that has two power sliding doors, power lift gate. My wife's Tiguan has 72ah battery and no power doors etc. Next to that stupid TPMS ID coding, it is absolute achievement to put such battery in a family minivan where everything runs on power.
What are you complaining about? You got 5 years out of an OEM battery mounted in the engine compartment. Up to now, has the battery gone dead on you and failed to start the van because of power equipment use?
You just can't find ANYTHING that you like about your Sienna. For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would keep a vehicle that they hate so much.

You see battery is located in Tiguan in the engine compartment and here it is running 8 years, still pushing 12V (compared to Toyota's 8.5V just before died). Not to mention that engine compartment in Tiguan is absolute oven roast compared to Toyota. I do not complain, it just shows Toyota's QC and Toyota fans like you who actually think it is normal for a battery to fail after 4 years.
But eventually, one day, Toyota QC will catch up with VW or BMW.

Last edited:

You see battery is located in Tiguan in the engine compartment and here it is running 8 years, still pushing 12V (compared to Toyota's 8.5V just before died). Not to mention that engine compartment in Tiguan is absolute oven roast compared to Toyota. I do not complain, it just shows Toyota's QC and Toyota fans like you who actually think it is normal for a battery to fail after 4 years.

I don't know how a BMW thread ended up talking about Toyota. But Toyota is a parts assembler just like other car makers. They didn't make the battery, they just speced it out and some other battery maker built it. Lots of things go into battery life. That two different cars would get two different lifespans from two different batteries shouldn't really be surprising. What would really be surprising would be expecting the same.

And to keep it off topic, I'm driving two Mercedes. Yes on the forums you see horror stories. I'm comfortable with the risks and so far mine haven't done anything crazy yet. You always get extreme stories from anything and if you take the extreme for the norm, that's the real mistake.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

And to keep it off topic, I'm driving two Mercedes. Yes on the forums you see horror stories. I'm comfortable with the risks and so far mine haven't done anything crazy yet. You always get extreme stories from anything and if you take the extreme for the norm, that's the real mistake.

Your Mercedes experience just about mirrors my BMW experience. I think some people simply hate for anyone to have an engaging car; they want other drivers to be just as miserable as they are.

1. I have NEVER owned a vehicle with the battery in the engine compartment where the battery lasted over 5 years, OEM or otherwise.
2. Toyota does NOT manufacture batteries, neither does VW, they purchase them from battery manufacturers.
3. If the battery in your Sienna lasted 5 years and never went dead from use before it wore out, Toyota's choice of a 62AH battery was appropriate.
4. If the specified battery is appropriately sized, using a higher AH capacity battery in-and-of-itself has NOTHING to do with now long it will last. I have replaced the OEM battery with a higher capacity battery MANY times and guess what, they didn't last any longer than the battery I replaced.
5. At least you could just replace the battery without having to take the van to the shop to have the computer reprogrammed afterward.
6. If VW and BMW products have such superior QC, how is it that so many owners have so many problems with them? I have personally owned products from both manufacturers and I can attest to having had MANY problems with them. http://www.dashboard-light.com/reports/Volkswagen.html

OMG, you had to replace a 5 year old battery! FYI: batteries wear out, that's life. Heaven forbid a tail light bulb should burn out. You are grabbing at straws on this one edy. Your Toyota hatred runs VERY deep! Time to get rid of the Sienna and get an X7 or Atlas before something else wears out and needs replacement.
Also, you didn't answer my question. You never answer pointed questions. All you ever do is criticize and denigrate any product that isn't German, especially Toyota products, and most of the time you are just plain wrong.

Last edited:

1. I have NEVER owned a vehicle with the battery in the engine compartment where the battery lasted over 5 years, OEM or otherwise.
2. Toyota does NOT manufacture batteries, neither does VW, they purchase them from battery manufacturers.
3. If the battery in your Sienna lasted 5 years and never went dead from use before it wore out, Toyota's choice of a 62AH battery was appropriate.
4. If the specified battery is appropriately sized, using a higher AH capacity battery in-and-of-itself has NOTHING to do with now long it will last. I have replaced the OEM battery with a higher capacity battery MANY times and guess what, they didn't last any longer than the battery I replaced.
5. At least you could just replace the battery without having to take the van to the shop to have the computer reprogrammed afterward.
6. If VW and BMW products have such superior QC, how is it that so many owners have so many problems with them? I have personally owned products from both manufacturers and I can attest to having had MANY problems with them. http://www.dashboard-light.com/reports/Volkswagen.html

OMG, you had to replace a 5 year old battery! FYI: batteries wear out, that's life. Heaven forbid a tail light bulb should burn out. You are grabbing at straws on this one edy. Your Toyota hatred runs VERY deep! Time to get rid of the Sienna and get an X7 or Atlas before something else wears out and needs replacement.
Also, you didn't answer my question. You never answer pointed questions. All you ever do is criticize and denigrate any product that isn't German, especially Toyota products, and most of the time you are just plain wrong.

IDK man, it clearly indicates better QC on VW part. But than, the way Sienna is assembled, it is not surprising.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wolf359

I don't know how a BMW thread ended up talking about Toyota. But Toyota is a parts assembler just like other car makers. They didn't make the battery, they just speced it out and some other battery maker built it. Lots of things go into battery life. That two different cars would get two different lifespans from two different batteries shouldn't really be surprising. What would really be surprising would be expecting the same.

Seriously, did you really think you need to emphasize that VW or Toyota do not make batteries? However, they do have a say what battery goes into the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by twoheeldrive
BMW = "Break My Wallet"

Come up with that all by yourself?

Only affluent people should buy a BMW.

You see battery is located in Tiguan in the engine compartment and here it is running 8 years, still pushing 12V (compared to Toyota's 8.5V just before died).
If the battery in your wife's VW has a resting voltage of only 12v, it is bad. A good fully charged battery will show a resting voltage of 12.6v. Do you REALLY want your wife driving a vehicle that has a bad 8 year old battery? If so, she is going to get stranded soon.

You see battery is located in Tiguan in the engine compartment and here it is running 8 years, still pushing 12V (compared to Toyota's 8.5V just before died).
If the battery in your wife's VW has a resting voltage of only 12v, it is bad. A good fully charged battery will show a resting voltage of 12.6v. Do you REALLY want your wife driving a vehicle that has a bad 8 year old battery? If so, she is going to get stranded soon.

LOL, it is ok, it is VW. I am confident it will start in the morning, unlike Toyota.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Only affluent people should buy a BMW.

Woe is me...

How long do you own them? I still drive it so I'm not bashing or anything just saying they need a lot more care than other cars. They used to be fantastic cars up to 100k miles. Now they don't even make it that far. If I got a new BMW it would be gone before the warranty ran out.

How long do you own them? I still drive it so I'm not bashing or anything just saying they need a lot more care than other cars. They used to be fantastic cars up to 100k miles. Now they don't even make it that far. If I got a new BMW it would be gone before the warranty ran out.

People still think the same of Mercedes. Both of mine are over 100k, one a tad over 100k the other at 125k. No major issues. No warranty from day 1. One is 2008, the other 2011. No big deal. Depreciation is pretty high so you can pick them up cheap because everyone seems to think the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back