Which 2012 Scion xB would you buy?

What's your annual mileage like and how long are you planning on keeping it?

Personally I would prefer the MT but if you want an AT...no reason to buy something you aren't going to like. Aftermarket moonroof is not something I am a fan of either.

What's your annual mileage like and how long are you planning on keeping it?

Personally I would prefer the MT but if you want an AT...no reason to buy something you aren't going to like. Aftermarket moonroof is not something I am a fan of either.
8-10k miles, drive it into the ground.

Everyone is missing the fact that these engines burn a TON of oil…
I‘m not. I currently own a 2009 that was burning a quart every 300 miles. A piston soak completely cured it. I’m placing an educated bet that (a) the bad rings were mostly gone by 2012 and (b) a piston soak might fix a new one, if needed. 2007-2009 were the really bad years for the 2AZ.

I know, but the issue is less prevalent with the newer ones.
Highly doubt it - that would be wishful thinking. Toyota would not offer a warranty extension if the issue did not exist. This is a very expensive repair for them.

It is more likely because the newer ones do not have enough miles yet.

Last edited:
Highly doubt it - that would be wishful thinking. Toyota would not offer a warranty extension if the issue did not exist. This is a very expensive repair for them.

It is more likely because the newer ones do not have enough miles yet.
Reports on the various Scion forums say they started installing the redesigned pistons in the later production engines. It’s possible older parts or complete engines were installed in newer cars, but the farther past 2010 you go the fewer reports of excessive oil consumption you see.

Anyway, it’s a risk I’m willing to take, armed with a couple of bottles of Berryman’s.

IME with my xB²

There's a TSB for idler pulley noise, a revised bracket and pulley are available
2AZ intake gaskets are known to degrade, that's $15 not too hard to swap
And the injectors can get restricted causing lean issues, $80 and mail them to Trav for cleaning/flow testing
The oil consumption is a known quantity, anyone who's followed my methods with it knows it can be improved on
OP is shopping lower mileage engines, there's time to prevent it

The rest is standard maintenance items 🤷‍♂️

There was no upgraded piston change to the 2AZ-FE engine right to the end of the Scion XB2 in 2015. The last year for that engine in a Matrix was 2013. Perhaps some Scion confusion on earlier piston change was the fact that the 2nd gen Scion TC got the new engine in 2011. The XB did not. The source of the problem is pistons with undersized oiling holes and not oriented properly. That causes the rings to coke up. Replacing just rings would not fix the problem.

All Toyota Dealer Principals, Service Managers, Parts Managers Subject: Warranty Enhancement Program – ZE7 Certain 2007-2009 Camry, Certain 2007-2011 Camry Hybrid, Certain 2007-2008 Camry Solara, Certain 2009-2011 Corolla, Certain 2009-2013 Corolla Matrix, Certain 2006-2008 RAV4, Certain 2007-2010 Scion tC Certain 2008-2015 Scion xB. Extension of Warranty Coverage for 2AZ Engine Oil Consumption

The 2AZ-FE engine was standard in some models and optional in others. Like Corolla, Matrix, Corolla.

My 2014 Scion XB has burned an increasing amount of oil since about 50k miles. Mine is not yet at a dramatic level at 85k miles. About a qt. per 1500 mi. This engine is known for not getting real bad until you cross 100k mi. I have a few months left to be eligible for the dealer consumption test with piston replacement on a fail. 10 years from first date of service from new (titled) or a max of 150k miles. If I don't get a fail before I time out, I will do the ring soak. A lot of people somehow get super high mileages out of them. Commonly 250k mi. and sometimes 350k mi. They're likely replacing catalytic converters.

I'd go with the lowest mileage one you can swing. If at a Toyota dealer, you could have them run the VIN and see if the piston change warranty enhancement was done on a higher mileage model. Some years back, Toyota was waiving the mileage cap for a while and it may have been done.

So just to close the circle, I ended up buying an entirely different xB. A 2009 with 120k popped up on Facebook Marketplace and I bought it the next day.

It has a couple of minor paint flaws and door dIngs, but it also has the snazzy Scion alloy wheels and a worthless spoiler. So for the moment I now have a pair of 2009‘s, one with a manual and one with an auto.

F0327E06-9FEC-4526-B075-51839A2B96D1.jpeg

They used to be one of the lowest cost of ownership vehicles. Cheaper than a prius including fuel to run, when new.
That's great to hear that they were cheap transportation. Surprised about the Prius though. I do give one of the local RV guy a slight hard time b/c he seems to always have something wrong with his prius. Tow tuck picking it up or taking it to the shop but probably no more than the rest of us in the end. It's a hybrid so two systems to maintain I guess.

Back