Looking for advice on buying a car long-distance.

One time on classic muscle car I wanted badly I hired a Southern California dealer/appraiser listed in Hemmings magazine. Cost me $250 on a car with a $12,000 price tag. The inspection came back fine. Unfortunately, the seller 'changed' their mind and upped the price to $14,000 and told me I had another buyer competing with me. For all I know it was that "appraiser." Decided not to pursue the vehicle further. Lost the $250 fee. Never again. The few times I've had so called "knowledgeable" people look at items for me....it was never the same as me looking at it. And in most cases they "missed" things. In the end, such transactions are only as good as people's word, ethics, and knowledge.

A few years ago I went and looked at a Porsche that was at a dealer in Scottsdale for a BITOG member located out of state, it was 10 mins away and I'm always down to check out a car. Showed great in pictures but was junk in person.

Yep. I remember that thread.

How would you out there in BITOG land suggest I proceed?

I have done this a couple times and I just find a mechanic in the area and offer $75 to $150 depending if he has a shop or not.. and I have him go to the dealer and pretend like he wants to buy the car , test drive it and take it to his shop if he has access to one. Then I have him video call me and we go over everything in detail while it is up on a lift as well as while he is driving it.

Back